Difference in swing weights

Ndfan301

Reaction score
Handicap
Been pondering the idea of cutting down the shaft on my driver. It plays at 46" with a d5 SW out of the box, and it's due for a re-grip.

Figured if I cut 6-8" off I'd be looking at a somewhere around a d0-d2 swingweight or so. I know the accuracy advantage of a shorter shaft, and about going through a driver fitting. But I'm more wondering now what the difference(s) between a d5 and say a d1 or d0 SW in driver?

EDIT: See below, but I don't really mean 6-8".

Last edited:
wait...you want to cut 6-8 inches off of your driver shaft? That sounds odd to me.

I'm not a big believer in swing weight making a hill of beans difference. So my advice, just tell yourself that it's still a D4 and you'll never know a difference.

for every 1/2" you cut off you will drop 3 swing weight points. In my opinion the lower the swing weight the harder it can be to feel where the head is at. To me the club just feels too light at D0. You can swing harder with a lighter swing weight but without feeling the head your tempo can suffer.

for every 1/2" you cut off you will drop 3 swing weight points. In my opinion the lower the swing weight the harder it can be to feel where the head is at. To me the club just feels too light at D0. You can swing harder with a lighter swing weight but without feeling the head your tempo can suffer.

Boccieri's Heavy Woods blow this idea up for whatever it's worth.

Wow 6-8 inches off a driver it will be short most people cut there drivers down to 44"

any way you can add some lead tape to the sole of the club if you are concerned about swing weight i dont know you will feel much diffrence at that length

That's way too much to cut off. You'll never get the head back to anything near normal weight. 2 inches is even a lot if that tells you anything.

That's a pretty extreme change. Keep in mind your rescue hybrid is probably 40" long which is where your driver would end up being. Replacing the shaft with a heavier one and shortening that an inch or two might keep your swing weight close to the same. After that it's lead tape city

Last edited:
That's a pretty extreme change. Keep in mind your rescue hybrid is probably 40" long which is where your driver would end up being. Replacing the shaft with a lighter one and shortening that an inch or two might keep your swing weight close to the same. After that it's lead tape city

Lighter shafts will decrease swing weight, every nine grams of shaft weight equals roughly one point.

I have been in the same situation. Being a shorter guy and based on my swing a 46" driver is way too long. I have found cutting it down to 44.5 to be my sweetspot. The bad news is this took my optiforce all the way down to a C5 swingweight....oh wait there is no bad news because it didn't effect my swing. The shorter length helps me hit the sweetspot more often. Some golfers can feel a change of 3 points, I'm not one of them.

Lighter shafts will decrease swing weight, every nine grams of shaft weight equals roughly one point.

Good catch. Thank you. Got bass ackwards on that one

That's way too much to cut off. You'll never get the head back to anything near normal weight. 2 inches is even a lot if that tells you anything.

I agree. I butt trimmed my X Hot from the standard 46" to 45" (my optimal driver length). Even at that the SW changed enough I could feel the difference but not enough to bother me. At 2 inches, I think one would have to get some weight down the shaft or you would lose all feel for the head. Not sure what one could do and I've never heard of anyone cutting down a driver that much (6" to 8").

Wow 6-8 inches off a driver it will be short most people cut there drivers down to 44"

any way you can add some lead tape to the sole of the club if you are concerned about swing weight i dont know you will feel much diffrence at that length

I think I need to sleep more at night. Or visit a doctor, or something. Sorry guys, it's not 6" I want to cut off. My apologies because apparantly today my math skills are in someone elses body.

What I really am thinking about it cutting it down to 45.5" or somewhere around 45.25" so my SW stays around the D1 range. Oops

Just figure 3pts for every 1/2 inch and you'll be in good shape. Hard to say if you'll notice it.

I think I need to sleep more at night. Or visit a doctor, or something. Sorry guys, it's not 6" I want to cut off. My apologies because apparantly today my math skills are in someone elses body.

What I really am thinking about it cutting it down to 45.5" or somewhere around 45.25" so my SW stays around the D1 range. Oops

Going down 1/2" you will most likly beable to feel that diffrence I play my driver at 45" which is 1/4" below SLDR TP specs i can not feel a SW diffrence

Just figure 3pts for every 1/2 inch and you'll be in good shape. Hard to say if you'll notice it.

Some will notice, some will not. Only you will know for sure if it matters. Cut away. Never be afraid to experiment.

I went from 46-45" shafts to a 44.5", no adjustments to SW...I'm happier than ever with the driver.

Back