Disc Golf (Frisbee golf)

93civiccpe

#LunaticFringe / "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I searched and found a couple really old threads on this that I didn't want to resurrect. How many people enjoy Disc Golf? Have you had any success at it? I discovered it before I started golfing and spent many years practicing and playing. I won a few minor local tournaments, throw decently far, and have over 20 aces. The crazy thing is that I have put way more time, money, and practice into golf yet today I could go throw a better score to par in disc golf than I could shoot in golf. Sometimes I wonder why I don't have the same passion for it as I do with golf as I'm a much better disc golfer than I am a golfer. I'm just curious who else plays!

I played once or twice years ago. I must have been dating a hippie at the time. ?

I’ve thought about picking up a few disks but haven’t gone so far as to find a course around here.

I played once last year with some friends who play regularly themselves and had spare discs for us to borrow. We had great fun, the course was in a forest and we just took the dogs and they ran around and had fun too. I'll definitely do it again come spring / summer.

Used to go a lot back in college and before I got married. I lived with some other guys and we would go out a lot on random weekdays. I really enjoyed it. It's like taking a walk in the woods, but playing a game while you do it. Pack a cooler with some cold ones, and you have a nice relaxing time. Never a great player, but the regulars I played with and I were all pretty close in scoring, so it made it more fun! Usually a side bet in there somewhere too! Should have stuck with disc golf, a heck of a lot cheaper!!

When I lived here in Florida in my 20’s we played all the time. There was a multi-time World Champ from Clearwater names Ken Clima and was amazing to watch hurl a disc.

I haven’t played in a long time as it’s just too hard on my shoulder, but have “putted” recently and took some short shots. It is a good time.

We have a course in our housing neighborhood. When we moved here 5 years ago, I played quite often. Then I lost my discs either in the river that runs along the course, or down a cliff at another course and haven't bought replacements so it's been about 2 years since I played. It was really run though, I'll have to buy some more this spring and get out there.

In my experience its a game for stoners. Those are the only people I know that play, I tried it once thought it was ridiculous.

When I lived here in Florida in my 20’s we played all the time. There was a multi-time World Champ from Clearwater names Ken Clima and was amazing to watch hurl a disc.

I haven’t played in a long time as it’s just too hard on my shoulder, but have “putted” recently and took some short shots. It is a good time.
I was a huge fan of Ken Climo..that guy was unbeatable.. He was dropping putts from 100ft without problem..

Last edited:
In my experience its a game for stoners. Those are the only people I know that play, I tried it once thought it was ridiculous.
I cannot deny that there is a large segment of the players who fit this description but as one who has never smoked the Mary Jane I can say it's not everyone. There's a younger, more competitive segment that can throw far who aren't stoners. They have weekly competitive meets with all sorts of formats and those guys are quite good!

I cannot deny that there is a large segment of the players who fit this description but as one who has never smoked the Mary Jane I can say it's not everyone. There's a younger, more competitive segment that can throw far who aren't stoners. They have weekly competitive meets with all sorts of formats and those guys are quite good!
I've watched a few videos of competitive "Frisbee-launching-into-chains game" and it was definitely impressive.

I just can't tolerate them trying to steal our beloved game's name. Unacceptable.

I have a guy I work with who is really into it!! Says it is a lot of fun. Never tried it myself.

I played this back in the early 80's. There was a park near my house that I could walk or ride my bike to.

I've watched a few videos of competitive "Frisbee-launching-into-chains game" and it was definitely impressive.

I just can't tolerate them trying to steal our beloved game's name. Unacceptable.
We should play sometime.. It is fun. They score it like golf which is why they named it that way. It is cheaper than golf and now relaxed /casual unless you are entering tournaments

We should play sometime.. It is fun. They score it like golf which is why they named it that way. It is cheaper than golf and now relaxed /casual unless you are entering tournaments
Golf can be relaxed and casual too haha.

Golf can be relaxed and casual too haha.
You can also play 18 in an hour on most courses.. But yes, I did not mean to imply that golf was not relaxed / casual. Disc golf is less intimidating than golf and is a fun date activity for me and my wife. Good cardio too.

Looks like it would be fun, but I’d rather play real golf if I have the time.

Never played but I have watched a bunch of the tournaments on Youtube from Central Coast Disc Golf. Really fun to watch IMO

I played it more when I was in college. Not the smoke and play either lol. I was the guy with one disc for everything. Never really got very in to it and don't go anymore. I do have friends that play it pretty competitively in my area and it is quite impressive how good they are.

Not really a fan, it's a fun experience for camping. But I won't go and get specific discs.

Going to age myself here, but I was playing that stupid game in the late 70's & early 80's. We would ride our bikes to the city park with a wham-o frisbee strapped to the handle bars & play for hours because it was free & I haven't played since.

Use to move a disc a long way...Blew my shoulder out with bursitis long ago. My Bro-in-law who I visit has a park next to his house and they have a course. He's not a golfer so maybe we'll give it a go.

Resurrecting an old thread here but have been getting a bit more into disc golf lately. I'm not good at all but working on it. There's a group here in the Pottsville area who play twice a week who I've been trying to play semi-regularly with, but schedule has been stopping me. Hopefully after the holiday I'll have more time. They have some really good players in that group who give great pointers and are impressive to watch.

I really want to get better at it though. The level of precision and variety in lines you can take with a disc vs a golf ball is fascinating to me. Plus it doesn't hurt that the game is a hell of a lot cheaper than golf and my wife is much more interested because it doesn't take nearly as long!

Resurrecting an old thread here but have been getting a bit more into disc golf lately. I'm not good at all but working on it. There's a group here in the Pottsville area who play twice a week who I've been trying to play semi-regularly with, but schedule has been stopping me. Hopefully after the holiday I'll have more time. They have some really good players in that group who give great pointers and are impressive to watch.

I really want to get better at it though. The level of precision and variety in lines you can take with a disc vs a golf ball is fascinating to me. Plus it doesn't hurt that the game is a hell of a lot cheaper than golf and my wife is much more interested because it doesn't take nearly as long!
I have not played a round in a long time but it is funny timing as I'm meeting a friend for a round tonight. We don't get to hang out much anymore but when we do he loves to play. It is interesting as I previously played more disc golf than regular golf yet over the last 5-6 years that has completely flipped. I don't compete in disc golf anymore (I used to play tournaments) but do enjoy a casual round from time to time.

Back