Do shafts need time to be broken in?

DOSMan

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Back in June I purchased a Fujikura Ventus black stiff shaft. At first I hit is like garbage, felt like I was swinging a metal pole. I even put it up for sale on ebay. Well, fast forward to a month ago I put the shaft back in my TSR3 driver and I've been hitting it great. I am not sure why I'm hitting it better now, so I'm wondering if a shaft needs time to be broken in?

I'm not sure if it's the shaft as much as it is you, and getting used to the feel and response to a new shaft. Making a big change can result in different received feedback and feel, and overtime you normalize that feel and get used to it.

Shafts? No. You learn to better time it as you play it. That’s why in testing they won’t swing more than a few as the player learns to compensate.

No they do not

Sounds like you needed time to break your swing into that shaft. Curious as to what shaft you were using prior to the original switch?

I would not think so, but as War Eagle said, I could see a player taking some time to get used to the different feel of a new shaft compared to their old one.

This is just an inconsistent thing (the golf swing) doing what it does best.

Nope.

Sounds like you needed time to break your swing into that shaft. Curious as to what shaft you were using prior to the original switch?

Mitsubishi Tensei AV White 'Raw' 65g X-stiff

no need. As has been said. Swing away.

Mitsubishi Tensei AV White 'Raw' 65g X-stiff
That’s what I was playing in my driver for awhile and then I switched to the Ventus Black. It was definitely an adjustment period and I quickly switched to the TR Blue which was a better fit for me. I’m confident like others said that it was you making the adjustment to the shaft.

I do not believe this to be a thing. If you purchased blindly probably just an adjustment by your body

I do not believe this to be a thing. If you purchased blindly probably just an adjustment by your body
I got fit by a rep. My spin was crazy high (3600) and I add almost 4 degrees of loft. He fit me for the Venus black and an 8 degree driver set to D1 (-.5* loft).

I got fit by a rep. My spin was crazy high (3600) and I add almost 4 degrees of loft. He fit me for the Venus black and an 8 degree driver set to D1 (-.5* loft).
I simply can not fathom an 8* driver these days. How is it working for you?

This!

Shafts don't break in. Could have just been timing that you've now adjusted to.

The black is known to be stupid stiff.

I can't imagine shafts having a need to be broken in, but i know first hand it can mentally affect you playing a new/different shaft. Depending how different it is, it may be minor or pretty profound. I have experienced both.

I simply can not fathom an 8* driver these days. How is it working for you?
Started out rough but much better lately. I still hit it high but it gets roll now.

Back