Do we see more golf bag manufacturers add charging options to the bag?

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
1637464011907.png
1637463922464.png

@Golfers Anonymous Asked about portable charging banks for phones and it got me thinking. Do we see more companies in the near future add this feature. These were the 2 I knew of that had it.

I have never needed a charger while playing golf. I have run my phone down low but never out. I wouldn't even think to look for this feature in a golf bag

I think it will become more common with more and more gadgets in use on the course. I’d venture to say built in speakers as well will pick up too due to their popularity being used on courses.

I would never be in the market for one. Most of the time my phone is in the golf cart & don’t see me putting it in the bag to charge.

Its kind of like the carry on suitcases with batteries? 🤷‍♂️

I’m pretty sure that any solar panel that (reasonably) fit on a golf bag would produce so little power as to be of pretty much no benefit. I wouldn’t be a fan of an integrated power bank because it could potentially fail and be useless before the bag even wore out.

IMO, if they’re going to do anything, it would be cool to just tailor a pocket for power pack/phone use, with holes/eyelets for cable management, and let the user supply their own power pack.

I think it will be more and more common. Phones aside, lots of folks have gps, rangefinders, watches, etc., that can be charged via usb. Surprised it has taken this long, to be honest.

I think it will be more and more common. Phones aside, lots of folks have gps, rangefinders, watches, etc., that can be charged via usb. Surprised it has taken this long, to be honest.
Right but my GPS watch can't be used while charging. My arccos caddie can't be used while charging. It's either charged or not when you get to course. Phones and speakers can be charged while in use but then confined to the length of cable.

I would never be in the market for one. Most of the time my phone is in the golf cart & don’t see me putting it in the bag to charge.

Its kind of like the carry on suitcases with batteries? 🤷‍♂️

I just remembered one of my carry on bags has this, and I never use it. Why? Because if I wind up on a little regional plane and they check the bag for you, they ask that there be no lithium batteries in there and ahhhh crap. It's just easier to keep in my backpack and there's no issue ever.

As far as the OP, I think maybe? Depends how much weight it adds to the bag for one, and two, what happens if those solar panels get drenched like if you just are walking and you get caught in the rain?

That's not something I'm in the market for. When I used my phone for GolfLogix, it did kill my battery. I'd get maybe 14 holes before the GPS running would drop my battery to 20% or lower. It was an older iPhone but still...

Now the only thing I use my phone for is checking text messages from my wife. GPS is on my wrist.

And I don't want to be Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack with "Hey! Let's PARTY!!" with speakers and a tv built into his bag. I will take the auto putter scope though.:ROFLMAO:

I just remembered one of my carry on bags has this, and I never use it. Why? Because if I wind up on a little regional plane and they check the bag for you, they ask that there be no lithium batteries in there and ahhhh crap. It's just easier to keep in my backpack and there's no issue ever.

As far as the OP, I think maybe? Depends how much weight it adds to the bag for one, and two, what happens if those solar panels get drenched like if you just are walking and you get caught in the rain?
But even then if you fly would you be required to remove the lithium battery out of your golf bag?

But even then if you fly would you be required to remove the lithium battery out of your golf bag?

Didn't even think of that, that's a great question. Would depend on how you plugged into it and if that battery pack was removable no?

Didn't even think of that, that's a great question. Would depend on how you plugged into it and if that battery pack was removable no?
Definitely would be something to look into.

if you are a part of the #pushcartmafia this makes more sense obviously. Most golf carts have the ports.

I imagine it will, but I'm not sure how useful it as an integrated part of the bag. I have a battery bank with me in mine all the time, and I suppose a dedicated pocket that made it and/or the cord more easily accessible while playing would be nice. I don't think it's a common wish for a bag though. Only guys I know that would use it are the ones that basically live at the range.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure that any solar panel that (reasonably) fit on a golf bag would produce so little power as to be of pretty much no benefit. I wouldn’t be a fan of an integrated power bank because it could potentially fail and be useless before the bag even wore out.

IMO, if they’re going to do anything, it would be cool to just tailor a pocket for power pack/phone use, with holes/eyelets for cable management, and let the user supply their own power pack.

i think you can get a solar charger chingadera attachment for bagboy pushcarts as well...

It's almost 100% that this will happen more and more. What i would guess as most likely would be a wireless charging pad inside a phone/electronics pocket. I would imagine the power source would be removable and also combine solar power, as others have said if it isn't removable you wouldn't be able to fly with it...and no one wants to plug in their golf bag

More and more consumer stuff will have wireless charging and it's not like it used to be. The new pads don't need to be placed perfectly to charge it can be more of a loose connection, and pads now can also charge more than one device at a time

if you are a part of the #pushcartmafia this makes more sense obviously. Most golf carts have the ports.
That's what I was going to say. A lot of carts already have them

Personally, I would rather buy my own power bank and plug it in than pay the premium for one to be in my golf bag.

Based on the current trends I have no doubt that some form of integrated power pack will become a standard feature in the near future. Personally, however I don't want the extra weight added to the bag, the hassle of having to plug the bag in when I get home, added cost, etc. If my phone isn't charged when I get to the course then that's on me and I go without. One of the other guys in my regular group usually runs his phone and speaker for music anyway, so it's only for a picture or two that I will use mine. Unless I decide I want to live-post a round, which again isn't very often.

Not a feature I'd ever thought of or would consider...If you are in a cart...Many and more have charge plugs so why in the bag?

If remembering to charge your electronics before you play is a problem, I’d guess you might not remember to charge your golf bag either.

I mean, I’m sure we do. But should we? :unsure:

I’m thinking of marketing a portable charger, to charge my bag, so I can charge my phone…. Seems only natural.

maybe in a pinch we can also plug the bag back into the cart for extended range. The possibilities are endless…. 🤣

Will make using them for travel out of the option with airline rules in built I'm charging in luggage

Back