Do wedges lose their bite?

Cbdboz

Reaction score
Handicap
20-24
Went to check out the md3 wedges, then saw the md2 $30 less so decided to try both

Then saw some pre owned md2, (t-grind R design) which at less than half the cost of md3 seemed to be a great buy.... Especially at my level, and they also felt the best in demo.

In hindsight I should have compared spin numbers.

Question I have, is whether it is internet myth / marketing hype on wedges losing their bite and spin, or... (To make us keep splashing the cash more often) or whether after the initial loss of sharpness from a brand new wedge that has been used, thereafter do you see much degradation?

Also , welcome any views on md2 t- grind R design , and comparisons to md3.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will take a lot of shots with a wedge for them to lose their "bite" most amateurs don't wear out the grooves on their wedges

It will take a lot of shots with a wedge for them to lose their "bite" most amateurs don't wear out the grooves on their wedges
It's the reason I use the whole face of my wedges, it takes that much longer to wear them out. If I hit then in the center everytime I would have to replace them.

On the pre owned md2's the deep grooves all look fine, but the fine laser type (crisscrossing) looks faded at the bottom of the face. Any problem with this?

Is a newer wedge going to spin more than a used wedge, yes. Do wedges wear over time and lose spin, yes. Might you see this with the MD2, possible but unlikely

On the pre owned md2's the deep grooves all look fine, but the fine laser type (crisscrossing) looks faded at the bottom of the face. Any problem with this?

The cross etching will not effect your spin or so I've been told

I've been gaming the same wedges for 3 years and still feel I get the same performance from them spin wise.

I've been gaming the same wedges for 3 years and still feel I get the same performance from them spin wise.

It helps if you hit the ball before the ground so your wedges must be perfect :D

You can wear out the grooves on wedges to the point where spin is reduced but it takes a lot of shots, especially out of sand, to do so. Back in the day when I didn't carry a lob wedge was hitting a few hundred balls each week with my sand wedge, half of them from bunkers, it would take me a full season or two to wear out my sand wedge.

You can wear out the grooves on wedges to the point where spin is reduced but it takes a lot of shots, especially out of sand, to do so. Back in the day when I didn't carry a lob wedge was hitting a few hundred balls each week with my sand wedge, half of them from bunkers, it would take me a full season or two to wear out my sand wedge.

Once upon a time in the 90s, my buddy was called upon to deliver new wedges to Greg Norman. He was replacing 3 wedges that were 3 months old. Greg had worn them out working in the bunkers nonstop. So sand is the great agitator

3824cfb2ce389d4a092551bc612b01ca.jpg

52,56,60 L-R

It's been said that Tiger claims he wore the bounce on his before the grooves.

Those look good to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember when my MD2's looked that new.

I'll agree with the rest of the panel; unless you live for bunker practice, wedges aren't really going to wear to the point of affecting how much spin they generate. Personal opinion; getting wrapped around the axle about whether your wedges are spinning enough because of the grooves is putting the cart before the horse. Lie and strike will do more to affect how much spin you're generating than anything else.

Thanks everyone.... Appreciate the feedback. Will pick up the three wedges and save some cash..... Looking forward to dialling in the respective distances

My nephew is a plus 4 or something, he has the "dot" on his clubs. His wedges look melted on the dot, still played them for a while.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'll be honest, I generally wouldn't buy used wedges. I bought some as new md2's from CPO which was the exception to my rule, although didn't keep em long. Didn't get on with them.

Not for club ho's like ourselves :) Majority of serious golfers will usually replace their wedges before this becomes a problem. That being said, yes they can lose their bite if you have them and use them long enough. I however, among many others here, prefer to replace them with shinier toys before losing bite is an issue.

I have three 54 and three 60 degree wedges , trust me..... in the hands of newbee and normal player, the wedges will not wear out ! I think I need another 5 years to see the grooves wear out.

The cross etching will not effect your spin or so I've been told

Yes it will. There's an article on Andrew Rice's site about the milled face. The grooves serve mostly to reduce water and grass between ball and face much like a car tire's profile.
If you want to hit that low flying high spinning pitch, you need a clean lie, a clean urethane ball and a milled face.

Yes it will. There's an article on Andrew Rice's site about the milled face. The grooves serve mostly to reduce water and grass between ball and face much like a car tire's profile.
If you want to hit that low flying high spinning pitch, you need a clean lie, a clean urethane ball and a milled face.
Roger Cleveland himself told participants at the Grandaddy exactly what Tadashi is saying. He's been around wedges a little while, so I'll take his word over Andrew Rice's (whoever that is).

Roger Cleveland himself told participants at the Grandaddy exactly what Tadashi is saying. He's been around wedges a little while, so I'll take his word over Andrew Rice's (whoever that is).

And the test was "interesting".
It has been said time and time again what wedges do and why spin is there. Clean Contact.
The crazy part of what Roger said, was that he himself makes textured face wedges.

Back