Do you ever book the higher airfare?

Have been looking at flights recently and most carriers have 3 choices. As an example this particular flight has a $600, $550 and $102 dollar option. Why would anyone select the higher options? If you do why?

I usually book the middle option. It depends on carrier, but generally they're broken out into:

$102 is basic, no checked bags, no choice of seat (you'll get the middle one) and you board last so good luck getting overhead space, also this fare is pretty much always non refundable and crazy change fees - all of this was pre Covid and with some airlines blocking middle seats thru _____ might be a good deal, but you'll have some add ons

$550 - choice of seats preflight get overhead space maybe the first checked bag is included depending on carrier board with a reasonable shot at overhead space, regular change fees still non refundable

$600 all of the $550 option but usually fully refundable

hope this helps - see you in Vegas buddy :cool::cool::cool:

***I pretty much fly Jetblue and Delta which is what I based those examples off of.

I’ll book the cheaper. I don’t care about my seat, I’m on the plane. 5’7, I always have room. I fly just about always American cause I get a free checked bag and boarding status. I’m not boarding group 9, I’m always group 4 cause of the airline card. I’ve yet to be told no on my carry on. Add it all up and I’d rather save hundreds. The hundreds saved means more trips or a better experience on the trips 🤷🏻‍♂️

I always book the cheapest fare I can on Southwest. I often add the early bird check-in to my ticket and occasionally have upgraded to business select at the airport.

I don’t fly very often and usually they are shorter flights when I do.

Cheapest option here.

I'm almost always flying Southwest. I'll book the cheapest and pay the early bird. Two bags free and I will end up with no issue in selecting seat on plane. I also have a SW Credit Card so a couple of flights a year are paid with points.

I didn't know that and I totally get it but sometimes the free bags is nice, especially when one is a golf bag haha
I know I bought the option on SW to get into the earlier groups as I had 3 kiddos with me and wanted to make sure we all could get seats together. Not knowing how booked the flight was and risking getting into group C or D boarding was not worth the risk so spent the extra $$$$.

i will pay a little extra to fly american or delta and avoid spirit or frontier airlines. i hate the cheapo airlines

I am a BIG fan of Scotts Cheap Flights. It is free website and will send you cheap flights from whatever you set your origin airport. There is a paid version around $40 I think which I have been enrolled in for the last few years. Got my wife and I to Spain, Switzerland and Germany dirt cheap. You make up the paid subscription many times over! Flying like this you have to become an expert packer. They now offer domestic flights as well! There are always trade offs when not picking the highest fare (ie seat assignment, free checkin bags and such) but for the price you cannot beat it. Edit: I just remebered I got an email last week on flight to Las Vegas from Chicago(my origin airport) $83 rnd trip on American, Jetblue, Southwest and United.

Last edited:
I don't select the bargain basement option where you don't get a seat assignment or have a carry on (I think you have to clean the bathroom before you deplane too). Most times I will select the regular economy seat. I will upgrade to more leg room (economy plus or exit row) if the flight is over 3 hrs even though I am only 5'8". I have never been on an international flight where I didn't upgrade, mostly with points. My trip to Israel was nice because I only paid for the upgrade as it was a work trip. I HATE SW and will only fly when I have to; I have to have an aisle seat and I will pay the tax to make sure I have that seat assignment.

For one my company would never allow me to select the higher rate on a plane ticket. Outside of that I honestly can't seem myself when paying with my own cash to pay for the more expensive.

I try to avoid SW, due to the no seat assignment, but I will say, often times at the airport you can buy the cheaper ticket and just pay $30 to move up to A1 or so for each flight.
We always do Early Bird and get good seating. Now though, with no middle seats being used by Southwest until Oct 31. Paying the bit extra to get A1-A15 may be worth it.

I fly Delta almost exclusively. Even if I can get by with just a carry-on, I'm paying for Comfort+, unless the flight is an hour or so. I'm 6'4 and need the legroom.

On long flights, 4+ hours, I'm booking and paying for the roomiest seat I can get. Even with some considerable weight loss over the last several years, I'm still wider than the average airline seat.

Sometimes the higher fare has better cancellation options and allowances for bags. I always look for the cheapest one.

On a special occasion flight I have booked the more expensive seat as a treat for the wife and I.
When we went to Maui to get married, I booked first class for us.

I think I read somewhere in the fine print for the $100 fare that you have to help push the plane away from the jetbridge

Yes if it gets me nonstop.

I'll always pay more for a quicker flight. I'd never take a flight that is 4 hours longer to save $100.
In booking my Las Vegas flight, I took the quickest flight. It cost more but that time is worth it. I could've booked a flight that was anywhere from 2.5 to 5 hours longer at significantly lower prices. I loathe having to hang out and kill time in airports. It sucks even in the club rooms.

I'll also opt for a higher price if I can avoid the 5 am or 6 am "at the butt crack of dawn" flight from Memphis to Atlanta. I live an hour away so those flights mean I have to be up and out of the house by 3 or 4. No thank you, if at all possible.

If my travel days may change, or seat comfort/availability.

I cant sit with the mouth breathing knuckle draggers in row 39

It really depends on what each fare is offering or including. I’ve booked both based on my needs at that time.

Booked lower when I didn’t care about extra luggage perks, but also paid more for longer flight when I could pick my seat and take my golf clubs.

Its all the same flight, just different options like first, business and economy class

for certain flights I will do business. Several times, when you factor in what you get for it the cost to move up from economy it is not much. For Example, the last flight I took to Florida I think it was $625 for economy, and just under 1200 for biz. I was checking 2 bags, which I think was $120 each way, biz class included 2 checked bags in the fare. Then factor in food (which was good actually) and a couple drinks on the plane, well the extra space was worth it.

For the next few months, I might spend the extra money to get fully refundable fares as I already have 2 trips worth of fares that were cancelled where I have credit with the airline.

have to closely look at the 102 option. A lot of airlines means you are the lowest of the low and no carryon and have to check all bags, plus bad seats.

i'm not even close to a frequent flyer - so when i decide to fly i want to be comfortable (i'm 6'3" w/ long legs) so it's at least comfort+ for me but i'll choose first class if it's not stupid expensive.

Generally, the higher the price, the more flexible the ticket is. Book the cheapest ticket, and if your item art needs to change, you’re going to be out of luck. Book the most expensive ticket, and you’ll often be able to change your plans. Also, domestic carriers are offering cheaper tickets but with up charges for everything. If I remember correctly, American offer a cheaper ticket that basically doesn’t even allow for hand luggage.

Have been looking at flights recently and most carriers have 3 choices. As an example this particular flight has a $600, $550 and $102 dollar option. Why would anyone select the higher options? If you do why?

seat or cabin selection, free checked bags?? I know I want my aisle seat and in the front of the plane. Usually that costs a bit more

Back