Do you ever give tips at the driving range or course?

Only if asked will I give advice.

Unless your name is JohnsInVA ... then I'll tell him he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat & he should do the complete opposite with his swing just to confuse him that much more. HA! :act-up:

I hate getting tips personally, so I give them on very rare occasion.

I did get paired up with some dudes the other day though who were obviously very casual players, and only there for the beers. On the 18th hole, after his tee shot, I asked if he would hit one more and let me give him a tip. The dude had a good swing path, but was casting HARD. I told him to wrap his thumb all the way around because he was obviously guiding his club entirely with his thumb instead of his palm.

His first tee shot was a low 3 wood slice that he had been playing all day. His second was a 3 wood flyer dead straight.

Ever since I got serious with this game a few years ago I've stopped giving unsolicited tips.

These days I don't give any unless asked, and even if asked I have to think twice before helping out because the solution may be a bit more complicated than a simple tip.

I'm not qualified to give swing tips. Close friends may ask during a rough round if I see anything glaring ie; grip, ball position, alignment ,etc.

If one of my buddies ask me if I see anything they are doing that looks "different" from their regular routine, I'll try and help, but other than that, never.

not too long ago at the range I happened to be absolutely smoking my driver. I was working on going more inside out and something was going right because it was ball after ball after ball with a beautiful mini-draw that disappeared into the distance.
The guy next to me asked how to hit it like that. I watched him swinging out of his flip flops and gave him the one bit of advice I will ever give my partner in the two man scramble mini-league four of us privately have..."swing so slow it feels like you aren't even swinging".

He does that about twice, hits some beautiful drives...goes right back to swinging so hard his flip flops literally were falling off his foot.

A few weeks prior to that, I was out at the chipping green working on that while waiting for my instructor to come out to work on it in that lesson and another guy came over to tell me what I was doing wrong to which I politely said thanks but my coach has me working on specific things. I did not want someone else showing me something different and getting in my head.

That sums up the entire advice experience to me. People who are given advice usually take it and it usually is wrong for them anyway...

The only other thing I will do is if there is someone I play with frequently that I see change something and having an atypically rough time I might mention what they switched. Once. For the most part I prefer to neither give nor get advice when I am not in a lesson.

If one of my buddies ask me if I see anything they are doing that looks "different" from their regular routine, I'll try and help, but other than that, never.

This exactly! If I notice one of my friends "looks" different and is struggling through the round talking to himself saying, "what am I doing wrong", I have absolutely no problem saying something like, "I've noticed you're doing this today. Is it something you're working on or didn't realize you were doing it? I would expect my friends to say something if they noticed something different. That's what friends are for. They know my game and see me swing the club alot so they would notice if something was different.

If I was on the course and got teamed up with someone I didn't know who was offering me advice I wouldn't be upset about it. I'd just thank them and continue doing my thing. They mean well so I don't let it bother me. If they persist I just say that I appreciate that they're trying to help but my instructor wants me to work on things this way so I am.

I refuse to let something as petty as that bother me.

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nope never since i only shoot 90's low 100's it's definitely not my place to tell anyone anything

No. Unless it's "watch what I do and then do the opposite"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, never. Maybe if asked, but I wouldn't even think of it.

If I am asked, then yes, but otherwise, I keep my mouth shut.

Not a chance

I honestly can't stand when someone tries to give me tips at the range. It puts stuff in my head and essentially ruins my session. When I need or want more I will seek out advice of a coach or trusted golf buddy. While I'm sure many people mean no harm, this is such a mental game that it's not fair to give unsolicited advice. I have helped close friends when they ask me on the course but never give without being asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not unless I'm asked, and even then I'm reluctant as I'm not qualified to assess another player's swing.

I think better players should open their minds to giving tips on the course, you have to evaluate the person and decide if they would be open to it or not, to protect yourself from anger, but there is a lot of good things that can happen, helping a person play golf better is a wonderful thing.

This past weekend I played with three strangers and on the front nine and I was hitting all the FW, short game was working, 2 sand saves, putting great... but struggling so bad with my irons, poor contact. I was shaking my head walking towards the last hole and the best player in the group, and monster player, came up to me and said I was standing too close to the ball, I took this advice with open arms and checked my address on the next hole, sure enough he was right, I adjusted and stiffed the approach, played great from then on.

I don't think for a second that people should be opening offering advise much out there, but this guy helped me a ton, so again, better players should be willing to help a little bit here and there, I think it should become less of a stigma than it is.

Last edited:
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever, unless someone asks me first. Theres nothing worse than unsolicited golf tips.

No, I don't give tips, but I do accept tips as some have been helpful, and still others down right hilarious. The hilarious ones make my day.

Hell to the no! Who am I to comment on other peoples swings? Even when asked; I can tell you what I'm seeing, but I'm not giving tips, not qualified to.

I am in no way shape or form qualified to give anyone tips/advice on how they play the game of golf. I have a hard enough time figuring out what I'm doing, let alone try for someone else. I am however receptive to advice on my game from others, assuming we have some sort of relationship. Someone from THP or a buddy I'll hear out, someone I got paired up with because I'm going out solo? No thanks

Back