Do you get nervous on the first tee?

I think if you care enough about your game, it is challenging not to get nervous. I think that tension can aide focus though. Just gotta get those butterflies flying in formation.

Depends on course and whats on the line - definitely fee the nerves in certain parts of the round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. By the time our groups turn comes around I am chomping at the bit. If there is an audience; I imagine I am filming a video entitled: How to get off to a good start.

Generally speaking, new experiences where you are expected to perform bring about an uncomfortable sense of nerves in most people. I know it has been that way for me. The first big dose of this I remember was speaking in front of 300+ people when I was 12 for the first time in my life. Major knee knocker. I've done it so often now that I genuinely look forward to doing so. Sports is the same. Interestingly, sports celebrities who have performed at the highest level still report first tee jitters. They may feel perfectly comfortable with a packed stadium in their chosen sport, but in a different sport, a different context, the nerves return.

I'm fairly tense in real life so it can't get much worse on the golf course. :beat-up:

I don't recall being fairly uptight at any THP first tees besides my first one in Pittsburgh and it was just Rob and me as the only 2some so that didn't help. I think the fact that you have a partner and it's not straight stroke play helps.

I definitely felt my heart race after my topped hybrid didn't make it off the tee boxes at last year's Kickoff Classic (and I'm thoroughly disappointed that I didn't get heckled AT ALL). Dustin and I both had a horrendous start to that hole, but we halved it and felt like we stole something. No nerves after that, even when I was slapping the ball around.

Eary season individual stroke tournaments usually get my nerves pretty high.

Happens during early season basketball games too. Maybe the first two games.

I think the pattern is that I haven't built the confidence. Since it's early and just beginning I don't know how well I'm going to hit the ball, or in the other example shoot the ball.

Normal rounds = no nerves for me. While I haven't yet the opportunity to participate in an official THP event, I have played in a local gathering of THPers.

I topped it into the creek off the first tee. I'd say there were nerve. The guys were great about it though and that lessened the feeling of embarrassment.

I would say definitely. I almost hit a car coming up the driveway next to the first tee when I started playing with some new people a while back. :bulgy-eyes:

Sure do.

At my first couple of THP events, I was absolutely nervous. Before any round I am amped up ready to go and have to work at calming myself down so I don't overswing.

I was absolutely shaking on the first tee in my first match of the Grandaddy.

I did the 2017 THP Championship and wasn't nervous. I just wanted to make sure I hit the ball. If someone laughs, then so be it. Just part of life.

I love hitting last on the first tee and more so in a competitive round or outside my normal group. If I can go fourth I have expectations that:
1. If one of the three are crap then the pressure is off that you will have the only bad ball off the first tee and I get pretty loose.
2. If all three slam it down the middle then my competitive juices kick in and the nerves are replaced with focus.

Now, all bets are off when I tee it up at Pebble for the first time this summer. I will be hoping for anything that resembles a golf shot :)

Back