Do you get nervous on the first tee?

Not anymore. I did when I was young though because I couldn’t keep my driver in play.

Playing competitive golf and tournaments, I never got nervous. For casual rounds it never even crosses my mind but I can guarantee you, when I step up to that first tee at the THP event, I'll be lucky to make contact with the ball.

Haven't done any THP actual events but I get a touch nervous in tournaments. The ones I play are small so I doubt there is ever more than 10 or 15 people watching, 14 of which don't actually care how you hit it.

Not any more. After 53 years of playing I just step, practice swing, look down the left side of the fairway and put a smooth swing on it. I used to be nervous hitting the tee shot on the 1st hole though. Over time it's just another swing.

Nope ... never. Nerves of steel baby!

Playing competitive golf for years in HS & college got me ready for the 1st tee jitters. Also, while growing up my father used to make all sorts of noise, rattle his pockets, laugh or cough to try and distract me. So that got me prepared for anything.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle. If it's just a fun round on a weekend zero nerves at all regardless of who's around. On the other end it would be hard pressed to find someone who didn't have any nerves on a first tee of a competitive round with people around. The thing that helps calm them down though is having previous experience in those situations and competitive events. The more prepared you are for it the more likely you will be successful. But there are always nerves at every level. That's what let's you know you actually care.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I always get nervous on the first tee and a lot of tees in competition. I've been competing in different sports all my life so I've learned to control the nerves and perform even when I feel like getting sick.

I think everyone gets nervous.

I used to get anxiety sickness. I'd puke anytime I got excited or worried about anything. I used to puke before I flew anywhere to do anything. I was fine once the plane lifted off, but for the few hours prior, I was a wreck. I've puked before playing golf with someone I was excited to play a round with. No celebrity or anything, just a guy from work that I knew was much better than I was at the time (this in my first year of playing). I've puked before all kinds of stuff. I used to puke before and after races when I ran track in high school. I puked probably 30 minutes before my first marathon. I puke before many of my races. It's mostly excitement. It's not like I have a chance of winning or anything so I can't exactly say I'm nervous.

I can imagine I'll get a little queasy the first time I tee it up with a large gathering of THPers, but we'll have to see when the time comes.

Make sure you take a barf bag to the first tee box with you. :sick:

I'll be sure to tee off before you so I don't step in it! LOL :laughing:

(all in good fun!)

Nope ... never. Nerves of steel baby!

Playing competitive golf for years in HS & college got me ready for the 1st tee jitters. Also, while growing up my father used to make all sorts of noise, rattle his pockets, laugh or cough to try and distract me. So that got me prepared for anything.
What your Father did is exactly what Tiger's Dad, Earl, did with him when Tiger was in his early teens. Firmly feel that's why Tiger had such great concentration by the time he turned Pro. Saw this at Los Alamitos Navy course when I played there. His Dad's favorite thing was to hold the flag on the greens and when Tiger putted, he would swing the pin & make the flag flap loudly. Just teaching you to concentrate Son, with a big grin on his face.

No not really

I think that everyone is to some degree or another. Sometimes it's more being nervous before you step up onto the tee than it is being on the tee. I've played and I'm sure that a lot of other guys on THP have played in competitive sports. After a while you learn to channel your nerves to a positive but I do still get nervous.

I'm always a little nervous on the first tee, whether its a solo round, a tournament, or a THP event.

Last October at #StaffProto, I was relatively calm on the first tee. I was in the second group to tee off (i think), so the majority of the other golfers were behind me and watching. I calmly stood up, took a few practice swings, and then ripped my drive straight as an arrow.....dead left in to the range. "Product seeding" quips JB.

As everyone knows THP puts on the best events. In 2018 we will have some seriously major events. Most of not all will have first tee shot in front of all that we are part of the event. And for some there are nerves, nerves like they have never felt. And others, not so much.

So which are you? Do you get nervous on the first tee or not?

Nope. I'm at 100% FIR at THP events (3 for 3).

Yes I do pretty much every round. I've found if I step up and just swing the result is much better. I have tendency to stand over the first tee shot and think too much.

I always have butterflies in my stomach on the first tee of a THP event/gathering. It is only natural. However, I usually hit a good shot as I know my miss in that situation now.

I'm always a little nervous on the first tee, whether its a solo round, a tournament, or a THP event.

Last October at #StaffProto, I was relatively calm on the first tee. I was in the second group to tee off (i think), so the majority of the other golfers were behind me and watching. I calmly stood up, took a few practice swings, and then ripped my drive straight as an arrow.....dead left in to the range. "Product seeding" quips JB.

I believe you were not alone in that feat haha. There were a couple that chose to go that route on the first tee. Lots of product seeding was done by myself later on in the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than a bit more than normal at the Morgan Cup first tee, not really. I'm sure I would if I ever got into The Granddaddy or some other major event, but at the invitationals, not so much. You want to hit a good tee shot, but at some point I am going to hit a crappy tee shot regardless of if I crush it on the first tee. Well, crush it is all relative, haha.

Maybe more if it's a first time thing the nerves are a little more there. And at Morgan Cup, I was in the last group the first day, so there were only the three other guys in the group, JB and GG and a few volunteers. Everyone else was already on the course!

Not as much as I used too but I still do somewhat.

I don’t get nervous in the 1st tee, but I shat a brick on the 1st playing in both THP events last year that were live on fb.

#FiberLaunch

I was never more nervous to hit a golf ball than I was on the first tee of my first THP event. Luckily I was in the 3rd group off out of 4 and not many were watching, but I did hit the fairway. When I played in the Gauntlet last May it wasn't near as bad, I can't say I didn't have any nerves, but they didn't really bother me and I hit a decent drive.

Any time I get to the first tee I do because I have little confidence on where the ball is going to go. I'm hoping to fix that and gain more confidence as I continue working with my teacher.

I do not get nervous in the first tee, I will get nervous on the first wedge shot though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only time I get a little butterflies on the 1st tee would be round 1 of Club Championship. I have been close a few times and always enter with high expectations assuming I have my game sharp. Once first hole is out of the way it is business as usual.

I have before and probably still do a little...but I will admit, getting lessons has helped my first tee fear tremendously.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don’t get nervous anymore. I still remember the tee shot from the AC Invitational in the first group and yeah I was just a weee but nervous for that one. Luckily I had a great team mate @thechosen1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back