Do you get nervous on the first tee?

Always, even for a casual round. Seems to set the day off as to whether I struggle to get a decent score (according to me) or not!

Well, yes. I definitely feel nerves on the 1st tee of any competition (that isn't casual). I typically use routine to get most of the nerves out before I swing, but that doesn't mean the nerves aren't still there.

~Rock

casual rounds. No I don't get nervous. Teeing off in front of strangers, no I don't get nervous. Teeing off in front of 40 THPers with THP Camera rolling, yes I get nervous on the first tee. So, my nervousness depends on situation. But for the most part no.

In the past I use to become nervous on the 1st tee, but not any more. In fact, I look forward to teeing off on the 1st hole while everyone is waiting and watching.

I believe everyone gets nervous on the first tee whether its in a competition, in front of complete strangers or THP'ers. And that's ok. To say you don't get nervous, I'm not sure i buy that.

I was a little nervous last summer at the Hype on the 1st tee in front of a bunch of THP's, trash talking Finley, and JB's live camera but managed to swipe a fade down the middle both days. Fun time!

I have played in a lot of tournaments, but have never had to hit the first tee in an event the likes of a THP event.
Without a doubt, I would be nervous.

I would say no. 2 THP events, 2 fairways off the 1st tee. My 1st event I was in the 1st group teeing off with the entire group watching. 2nd event, about half the group had teed off.

I don't get nervous but I will forever suffer from the effects of excitement.

I'm never nervous in the sense of any fear of my hitting a bad shot, I'll take whatever I get. I can just get so ramped up internally at times, excited to play, that a degree of tension is always possible.

I get nervous for sure....although I tend to slow down and hit pretty well when im nervous or when betting with friends and money is on the line. I also get nervous when a group lets me play thru.

In the past, yes I do feel nervous at tee off.

5 years later ..... I am shameless :bananadance:

Yes I was, especially after everyone cranked their drives and I didn't. People you don't know in a strange environment can do that to you on the tee. But if you didn't get those once in a while it wouldn't be as fun.

As everyone knows THP puts on the best events. In 2018 we will have some seriously major events. Most of not all will have first tee shot in front of all that we are part of the event. And for some there are nerves, nerves like they have never felt. And others, not so much.

So which are you? Do you get nervous on the first tee or not?

Nah, not really anymore. I get fired up, sure, but not nervous.

Most of the rounds I play, THP or otherwise, are with a mixed skill group. No one cares how bad the shots are.

No nervousness for me during a casual round with people I’ve played with before.

I do get nervous for competitive rounds or sometimes with strangers.

Casual round, I’m cool as a cucumber. My first tournament in college as the #1 I was nervous. Since then I haven’t been nervous

Sent from HTX

I try not to but at a bigger event I may get the shakes for a minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get nervous on the first tee anytime I’m playing with people outside of my normal group. My normal group knows to expect a terrible shot from me, but I hate knowing strangers or people that I haven’t played with are probably dreading the rest of the round with me.

I get nervous on the first tee anytime I’m playing with people outside of my normal group. My normal group knows to expect a terrible shot from me, but I hate knowing strangers or people that I haven’t played with are probably dreading the rest of the round with me.

When I play with strangers I couldn’t care less about their skill level. Yet for some reason I care what they might think of mine. It’s frustrating knowing they don’t care but thinking they do.

I had someone confuse me for a low single digit handicap after making a boring 2 putt par on the first hole. Wound up shooting one of my worst rounds after he asked if I was scratch or a single. So yeah, nerves everywhere.

I get nervous anytime I'm paired up with people I don't know. This nervousness also comes on when I play thru other people.

I get nervous anytime I'm paired up with people I don't know. This nervousness also comes on when I play thru other people.

I feel your pain, while I still manage to have fun, I play horribly when anyone is watching. Golf is most enjoyable when the course is empty and I’m play with my usual hack partners.

Teeing Off Regional Rivalry.jpg

I must admit that I was nervous at the Regional Rivalry. Could hardly push the tee in the ground as JB introduced me. But I stripped it down the fairway and relaxed. That has helped me since then when I get paired with people I don't know.
It will be probably the same at my next THP event however. :bulgy-eyes:

I get a little nervous on the first tee of any competitive round or one with a large audience. Like others, it's the same kind of nerves that I used to get before games in HS. I wouldn't call them 'bad' nerves as they usually remind me to focus on the task at hand. Usually after the first tee they're gone.

my first THP event resulted in a lost 4iron on a forced carry tee shot.......

my second THP event resulted in a fairway bound Epic SZ drive.........

I was 100% more comfortable on the tee box for my second THP event but I still had butterflies.

When i pitched I was the same way.....felt like it was just a natural thing for me.....

Only when JB is there to ask why I’m teeing off with a 58* wedge after popping my driver dead straight in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first event was the Regional Rivalry. I had to keep looking in my hands to make sure I was holding a club. My next 2 events I wasn't really nervous, just amped up. Best tee ball was beginning of 2nd round at HYPE with crowd around first tee. Stripped drive 275 (adrenaline) right down the middle. I was paired with Mpeterson and we were side by each.

Back