Do You Know How to Sew?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I was chatting with my wife yesterday about the CDC recommendation to wear masks when in public, and my mother-in-law butted in (as she often does) about how people are making their own at home.

I brushed her off, simply stating that I don't know how to sew.

Then it hit me: I own a sewing machine! I bought a embroidery sewing machine about 3 or 4 years ago when I had an idea to make custom yardage book covers. I never even took it out of the box. It's been sitting in a closet ever since it was delivered.

Now I'm thinking this may be a good time to learn some basic stuff.

So, do you know how to use one of these contraptions? Do you have any tips?

Yep, once you learn the tricks on how to thread your machine it’ll pretty much run itself. We have an embroidery machine and a heavy duty, and the embroidery is much more complicated to spool on and thread.
Most of my sewing and similar is done by hand though since my usual medium is leather (knife sheaths, axe masks, belts etc...).
Other than that, just plan your cuts and pieces and it’s relatively fair sailing from there. Oh, and know what stitches are for decoration and which are “structural”.

Yep, once you learn the tricks on how to thread your machine it’ll pretty much run itself. We have an embroidery machine and a heavy duty, and the embroidery is much more complicated to spool on and thread.
Most of my sewing and similar is done by hand though since my usual medium is leather (knife sheaths, axe masks, belts etc...).
Other than that, just plan your cuts and pieces and it’s relatively fair sailing from there. Oh, and know what stitches are for decoration and which are “structural”.
Alright. How does one learn about stitches?

Alright. How does one learn about stitches?
This website is in my favourites for reference. It’s the simplest I’ve found that is useful for me...

Sewing Machine Stitches

With a machine, I use straight, zig-zag, and backstitch. By hand I use whipstitch and backstitch, with some variations. I’m mostly interested in strength and longevity in my projects.

This website is in my favourites for reference. It’s the simplest I’ve found that is useful for me...

Sewing Machine Stitches

With a machine, I use straight, zig-zag, and backstitch. By hand I use whipstitch and backstitch, with some variations. I’m mostly interested in strength and longevity in my projects.
Nice. Thanks!

I can sew. I didn’t take home economics in school even... but I can use a sewing machine. Not something as complicated as an embroidery machine...

When I was a kid I made myself a bath robe. And a shirt... well... almost made a shirt. I had the fabric cut and all patterned out but I joined the Air Force and never finished it.

I just used my machine the other week to sew a button on my work pants.

Pro tip: make sure the button is on right and not crooked.

Another tip: don’t get your finger near the needle and the platen. It can be painful.

I have replaced a few buttons. That is about the extent of my sewing proficiency.

I can sew. I didn’t take home economics in school even... but I can use a sewing machine. Not something as complicated as an embroidery machine...

When I was a kid I made myself a bath robe. And a shirt... well... almost made a shirt. I had the fabric cut and all patterned out but I joined the Air Force and never finished it.

I just used my machine the other week to sew a button on my work pants.

Pro tip: make sure the button is on right and not crooked.

Another tip: don’t get your finger near the needle and the platen. It can be painful.
Good advice. Thanks!

She does, and so do I. Home-Ec ftmfw

Just enough to do minor repairs. Not enough to use a sewing machine.

I kinda know how...

Yes, I learned in the Cub Scouts in the 60's, I have learned a lot more since then by sewing my stripes on when ever i made a new rank in the Military. When ever i need to, I still do, surprised my Bestest half after we were married by fixing some seams for her.

I can do buttons. Other than that not happening.

Minor repairs, yes
am I project runway material, no

Yes I learned in Jr High! I am guessing they don't teach that anymore.

The benefit of being forced to take Home Economics in Grade 9, is basic sewing.

I've altered a pant leg or two in my day, but that is about it. The problem is I either leave too much, or too little..... and honestly am never happy with the result lol.

I tried to sew a button on a shirt once, what a mess. I just threw the shirt out.

Home-Ec FTW. At the time, our class all questioned it, but now I’m sure we’ve all realised it’s usefulness.

Back