Do you know your swing weight?

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
In my last few iron purchases the swing weight has been around D7-D9. When I had my R9 irons the swing weight was D0. After I switched out the steel shafts for the graphite shafts in my XHP they now measure E0, up from D6. From reading around the net they say most golfers can't tell the difference in swing weights of a couple numbers, say from D2 to D4. I've always felt I played my best golf with the R9 irons and have wondered how much the swing weight played into this. Going from D0 to D6 now to E0 I wonder how this is affecting my swing? I am going to experiment with back weighting to try and get back down to D0 range. Do you know what your swing weights are, do you care, am I over thinking this?

In my last few iron purchases the swing weight has been around D7-D9. When I had my R9 irons the swing weight was D0. After I switched out the steel shafts for the graphite shafts in my XHP they now measure E0, up from D6. From reading around the net they say most golfers can't tell the difference in swing weights of a couple numbers, say from D2 to D4. I've always felt I played my best golf with the R9 irons and have wondered how much the swing weight played into this. Going from D0 to D6 now to E0 I wonder how this is affecting my swing? I am going to experiment with back weighting to try and get back down to D0 range. Do you know what your swing weights are, do you care, am I over thinking this?

I am not familiar with mine...could you possibly educate me on how you find out?

Nope. I am not sure how important swing weigh is. I do not think about it.

All of my irons are D-4, woods are D-3. I will reassemble my clubs to make sure I get these weights, it's more in my head than making a tangible difference.

Could not tell you exactly what the swing weight is of any of my clubs

I have no clue what mine are.

I think most standard clubs come in around D0-D4. In cases like mine I play 3/4"-1" over standard depending on length of the companies standard club. When adding the extra length it increases the swing weight and most companies will try and bring the swing weight down if they are custom ordered to their standard, but sometimes they cannot. Companies like Ping will make heads in different weights, or if they have badges on the head they will use different weight badges to try an accomplish this from what I have read. You can use heavier grips to accomplish this also. I already use a heavier grip with the Tour Wrap 2G, so if I want to bring the swing weight down I either have to use some kind of weight in the butt of the shaft, tour lock weight, etc.

3-9i are D2, PW and GW are D4, SW and LW are D6. Its where I am comfortable

I have always preferred a little heavier swing weight, especially with my irons. They are a D6 and my woods are all D4 - D6. All my irons and most of my drivers have lead tape on the back of the head as I cut them down to 44 - 44.5". For me, a D0 swing weight is noticeably too light resulting in a loss of a accuracy with my fast tempo.

I've never had any knowledge of what swing weight I am or whatever it may be, I don't really think about it. I'm sure it has it's merits though and it would never hurt to know another aspect of being fit.

The most important swing related weight is the 280lbs holding the club, lol. At least in my case.

Last edited:
Yup, old irons D2 and new irons D3.

Wedges are D4, P-8 irons are D0, 7-5 irons are D1. Driver is D0. Other clubs in the bag tend to change as do the swing weights.

If the swing weight is too high, I tend to flip the club head at the bottom and let the head get ahead of hands.

Until last year, all my irons were an inch longer than standard which make swing weights through the roof high and to counteract that I was gripping down. Finally, after years of over length, my irons are now standard. I am now looking at different (lighter) grips to help keep swing weight down.

I do have a swing weight scale. It seems that I do better with heavier clubs and lower swing weights, just an observation.

I keep a chart. Makes it easier to get new clubs. I also have a chart of total weight of clubs as that matters to me as well.

ClubLengthLoftLieSWDistanceRollout
1Driver45.251258.50D827015
24 Wood42.751758.00D623810
33 Hybrid40.2520.560.00D42205
33i-CB39.002161.00D321110
44i-CB38.502461.50D32028
55i-CB38.002762.00D31915
66i-CB37.503062.50D31803
77i-MB37.003463.00D31692
88i-MB36.503863.50D3157
99i-B36.004264.00D3145
10PW-B35.754664.50D4132
11GW-TM35.505065.00D4118
12SW35.505465.00D4104
13LW35.255865.00D588
14Putter35.00270.0010

I print this out so I remember my distances. This is the winter distance chart.

Absolutely no clue. And now I'll have another swing question in my head. Yes!

I have no clue of the weights in any of my clubs. I don't even know what the numbers mean.

I have no idea what mine are, don't think about it. First time someone mentioned it to me when I asked them a question about their clubs I made this face :bulgy-eyes:

Wedges are D4, P-8 irons are D0, 7-5 irons are D1. Driver is D0. Other clubs in the bag tend to change as do the swing weights.

If the swing weight is too high, I tend to flip the club head at the bottom and let the head get ahead of hands.

Until last year, all my irons were an inch longer than standard which make swing weights through the roof high and to counteract that I was gripping down. Finally, after years of over length, my irons are now standard. I am now looking at different (lighter) grips to help keep swing weight down.

I do have a swing weight scale. It seems that I do better with heavier clubs and lower swing weights, just an observation.

Why did you stop playing longer clubs?

No clue, and it never really came up during my fitting at Callaway.

I like everything in my bag to be D2. The club builder I used to go to hated it! He couldn't understand why I wanted my wedges to not feel like an anchor was tied to the end of it. I like them to be a bit on the lower end for a couple of reasons. 1- I'm not working as in my swing. Everything stays smooth for the most part. 2 - Heavier swing weights tend to fatigue me quicker and my hands hurt the next few days.

However, my set I just put together (new TMaG MCs with 5.5 PXi) is playing a bit heavier than that. 4-P is between D7-E0. I can tell the difference for sure. I'm going to work on them today to bring them down to where I want them.

I have no idea what my swingweights are. Have never really thought about it either.

Had a fitting at Club Champion, was recommended the following:
Driver - D4
3 Wood- D3
3H-5H - D2
6-P D0
A,52,56 - D1

For those that know their swing weight, can you tell a difference when a club isn't at the swing weight you prefer? If so, how much of a difference before you can feel? Say you play a club normally around D7, but swing one that is D0, what would you notice that is different?

Back