Do You Really Practice Putting?

I dont work on mine as much as I should - is there any surprise it is the worst part of my game.

It's just so boring. Maybe I need to take up crazy golf to spice it up.

Really going to ramp up the putting practice in the coming months.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Just got done rolling 50 putts on my practice green. Will probably roll 50 more tonight. I can never get enough putting practice

Just got done rolling 50 putts on my practice green. Will probably roll 50 more tonight. I can never get enough putting practice

Do you have a #7 to practice with?

No, I don't practice putting. Before a round I will putt on the practice green and when I make a 10-12 footer I move to 5-6 footers and when I make two of them in a row............that's it. I walk to the first tee with a positive putter feel. I concentrate on flushing my brain before I putt I visualize a toilet flushing, see that picture in my mind and putt by feel. I've started letting my feet tell me the slope and angle from ball to hole. I go by feel and don't think about making the putt. I like to see 32 putts per round.

I dont work on mine as much as I should - is there any surprise it is the worst part of my game.

It's just so boring.

So true for me as well. I know I need a lot more practice but just cannot bring myself to do extended putting practice sessions. A few minutes here and there after range sessions and then maybe only 10-15 minutes right before starting a round.

i think for me the key is no just doing random putting around the practice green but coming up with a few drills that I like and focus on one in particular per practice session.....

Bumping this up as I had a really interesting conversation with a fitter today talking about data and what we see after fitting and putting practice.

It reminded me of this thread and wanted to get some fresh perspective.

I do practice hitting putts at home and on putting greens from 15ft and in, but I don't really do anything technical mainly because I'm not sure what to work on. Just hit putts. I do work on grip every once in a while.

I have been practicing quite a bit lately. I moved to an armlock so I was out putting with it and adjusting it to get it fit to me for a couple of weeks. Now I like to putt because I can do it again. I haven't been able to trust my line for 5 years or so and had become a crap putter. It's fun always hitting my line again.

I really, really want to put that Cobra Mallet that Jason Dufner has in an armlock setup. I just need to figure out how to measure all the angles on the current setup because I bent it quite a bit from how it came from Bettinardi.

I have been working on putting all winter (on mat only).... I've brought my putting from a very inconsistent stroke (sometimes a pop stroke, sometimes a long back with no follow through, or exactly the opposite, to a stroke that is much more consistent and repeatable. also working on releasing the toe more consistently and not seeing a push on those poorly struck shots... it's come a long way and i feel more confident over the ball than i probably ever have. Seem to understand my stroke much better than before and what needs to happen for a decent putt that if not in the hole doesn't leave me with a knee knocker coming back. With more work, it should transfer to the course and i hope to see some positive results. (all wishful thinking at this point)

Honestly, no I don’t. I will do some putting periodically in my basement but nothing that I’ll remember and don’t have anything specific I’ll work on. That’s not enough to say I legitimately practice putting.

Should be, but I haven't been. It is pretty eye opening when you track how many putts you take and how much putting can burn a player.

I have actually been practicing more lately. ladder drills and gate drill mostly.

I practice putting about as unproductively as I do everything else. I roll putts on my mat and use a putting gate to confirm I’m rolling the ball where I intend. When things get wonky I break out the putting mirror with barriers to confirm stroke and alignment.

All putts are rolled straight, on a line, to a distant
point. That point may, or may not be the hole.

With that, I practice hitting straight putts. My actual putting practice involves rolling the ball over a coin 18"-24" inches in front of the ball, on a known, level surface.

I also practice "lag" putting for distance control.

By rolling my putt on my chosen (straight) line, if my chosen line is correct, I stand a good chance of making that putt. If I miss the put, I'm usually looking at a close, tap in.

Now I also practice reading greens, which I consider different from my putting stroke practice. I probably spend more time on green reading practice than I do stroke practice. To me, reading greens correctly is tougher than rolling a putt. Much tougher.

Most of my putting practice involve distances from 15' feet, and closer. I'm not that great of an approach shot player, as a lot of what should be my first putts, are actually pitches, or chips. (missed girs).

A lot of times I will also combine my pitching/chipping practice with my putting practice. I do this using one ball, and different cup placements, while trying not to 2 putt.

The PuttOut has changed my outlook on practicing putting. Its been fun pulling it out every night. Now to see how it translates to the course.

The PuttOut has changed my outlook on practicing putting. Its been fun pulling it out every night. Now to see how it translates to the course.

Agree - fun yet equally frustrating...it definitely makes me focus a lot more than the three hole putting mat I have rolled up.

Since I bought the Hole More Putts device, yes, I putt every day, and work on it.

that said, I am looking for ways to practice better, especially finding ways to add external pressure in putts.

I've played golf for about 30 years and will admit that while I putted I did not practice. It was one day about 5 years ago on a practice matt in my basement I concluded what was not obvious to me. Namely, my fundamentals created random variation from stroke to stroke. I created compensating behaviors like aiming right of the hole so I could pull it left. Now, may playing partners did not see this or call it out as they do similar things.

Now I work on hitting the ball end over end without wobble and when I miss a putt on my matt I start to investigate my setup and swing.

This month, I have truly been practicing putting. I try various drills on the mat and work on tempo, grip, posture and focus on getting the ball rolling end over end on a straight line. It is amazing what the smallest change can do to the ball in regards to staying on line and rolling end over end.

My honest reply is not as often or as much as I should. I would answer the same if you asked about chipping. Truthfully my back will get super tight when I practice chipping and putting for short periods of time. This then leads to poor practice if I continue. I do try and spend some extra time on both when it is feeling good but as soon as it starts getting tight I have to quit. I rarely visit a practice green before a round and when I do it is somewhere I don’t play often or that is notorious for having green speeds that range anywhere between fast and sloth on a speed scale. Even then I only hit a half dozen to a dozen putts just to get a feel for the speed.

After I saw the 100 putt challenge on here I started putting at least 50 putts each day on my practice inside putting green.
Putting has been the strength of my game for a while now

I do need to find specifics to practice instead of just rolling putts. I tend to just roll putts sometimes instead of having a focus. I have a putting mirror I am using to work on my alignment and setup. I need to find a key for my stroke to get some more confidence this year.

Yup.

Thing is damn infuriating but played yesterday on greens that haven’t been rolled or cut. The hole looked 6” wider on short putts. Didn’t miss any 6 footers and I had a LOT of them.

901D0F20-AC67-4389-9F73-A42D782D4311.jpeg

Back