Do You Really Practice Putting?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, so stay with me as this will be a little drawn out. We all say we practice putting, but do we really? That is the question. Lets say you work on your putting for a bit at home as well as a bit before each round. Is that any different than beating balls on the range with no real purpose?

For some putting is a simple task because it is less moving parts and less length, so the assumption is who needs assistance. However the flip side is that if you are repeating a task over and over again in search of different results, it is literally the definition of insanity.

So the question to you, if you say you are practicing putting, does that involve anything more than putting balls at the hole from different locations? Or are you actually working on fundamentals?

I used to really work on putting (especially inside 15 feet). Nowadays, I rarely drill myself on my putting and it clearly shows in my game. I do not 3-putt a lot, but I also do not make many longer putts outside of 10 feet. Really, the only time I hit the putting green is before a round for about 15 minutes to get the speed and feel of the greens that day.

I'm more focuses on my posture, form, and shoulder rock than I am the hole to hole locations to be honest. I used to be a hole hunter on the green and just putt back and forth across the green but now I've realized just like on the range its practicing with a purpose. I'm usually out there (or inside at home) with a CD to check eye position and the triangulator as well. I don't see the point in focusing on dropping 50 footers like you see some do, I'm a 10 and in guy and proper fundamentals to ensure a consistent roll and pace. From there, the read of the greens on the course will dictate the rest for me.

Okay, so stay with me as this will be a little drawn out. We all say we practice putting, but do we really? That is the question. Lets say you work on your putting for a bit at home as well as a bit before each round. Is that any different than beating balls on the range with no real purpose?

For some putting is a simple task because it is less moving parts and less length, so the assumption is who needs assistance. However the flip side is that if you are repeating a task over and over again in search of different results, it is literally the definition of insanity.

So the question to you, if you say you are practicing putting, does that involve anything more than putting balls at the hole from different locations? Or are you actually working on fundamentals?

You've hit the nail right on the head here JB. My putting practise mainly takes place at home, rolling balls on my mat and concentrating on stroke and rhythm. It's a different kind to when I'm at the range where I work on points from lessons. Maybe I need to have a actual putting lesson so I know what I can work on in practise?

Having said that, my putting has improved greatly since having a mat at home.

I work on fundamentals. gate drills. thumbs off for grip training. Alignment training with Seemore's Triangulator tool. Tiny cup putting. I will but the flag stick 16" behind the hole and try to hit the stick on a miss.

I will practice getting up and down. Practice one putting. I will bet the head professional a dollar on being able to one putt or two putt from extreme distances.

I certainly do. I have a few drills that have become favorites of mine. I believe doing said drills helps me become a better putter.

I dont practice putting....im awesome!

Its really the one part of my game I dont work on hardly at all, hoping to change that in the spring as I try to make my practice time more meaningful and balanced. Hoping my instructor can give me some tips, pointers, drills to work on.

I would say I work on putting a lot. I spend a lot of time with a few different drills...focusing more on the actual stroke and position, than the ball actually going in the hole. I think if I can make a consistent repeatable stroke, putts will fall more often than not.

I do. I've got a few drills that my coach showed me that I use every time I can spare an extra 20 min on the practice green. I find it a lot more enjoyable when I practice with a purpose, rather than just beat balls.

From your definition I do not. At home I will putt around the green while having a cigar, watching TV, etc. On the practice greens I will usually seek out a hole that will give me 4 breaks and get the speeds down from 5, 10 and 15ft and then work on the breaks before teeing off.

Yup, I do. Played around with my grip setup a lot this winter. I think I finally got something I really like. Worked on using more shoulder rock, and less wrist. Setting up slightly different. Changed a lot so far!

What I concentrate on is building a repeatable motion. Keeping lower body quiet, head still.
Do I still have work to do? Absolutely.

Having spent hours working on my stroke, I do feel better about my putting heading into this season.

As far as adopting one particular system (SPI) I have not to this point, but will be looking to do so soon.
But for right now, building a consistent repeatable stroke is tops on my list.
And I feel it will pay off.

I usually try a few practice putts if time allows when I play a different course than the club I belong to. Other than that I don't see much need to unless I'm really having a hard time judging the speed of a green. I am usually pretty good at reading break on most greens so I am more concerned with correct speed.

I studied the SeeMore videos and worked on grip, stance, stroke, etc. I even marked a line on my putting green to help me see what the ball does when I roll it to the cup. Putting is my biggest weakness in the game but I'm so much better than I used to be. I was REALLY bad a few years ago.

By JB's definition, I never really practiced my putting form until this offseason. I would putt for a little while a couple days a week and putt for a bit before a round. During this offseason I decided I needed to get better in this area. Got fit for a new putter for one. Then started working on form, not worrying about making the shot. Setup gates at home for feedback. Repeat form over and over to ingrain a successful stroke. Went to a SAM puttlab and got a few more tips from a pga pro. With all that said, once March hits, I'll still have to brush up on feeling the break in the green and matching line a pace with that. But at this point, I'm significantly more confident that whatever line and pace I choose, I will execute that with great precision. Might misread putts all day long, but I know I'll hit them where I was aiming

I absolutely do. Especially since reading Dave Stockton's Unconscious Putting. Focus is not on fundamentals of the stroke, but on picking the line and developing a quick, confident routine so that the stroke becomes an after thought.

I have seen the results on my putting green at home - cannot wait to see the results outside

I mostly work on practicing reading the greens when I putt on an outdoor practice green. I'm not that focused on mechanics when I'm putting outdoors. Rather, in just trying to get the ball rolling on the intended line. The only real mechanical thing that I will adjust is alignment when I feel like my shoulders are getting closed (my common mistake).

On an indoor mat, I really focus on alignment and aiming. The putts are typically dead straight, so I'm more focused on getting the ball to roll over the exact point that I want. In sum, I use the indoor mat to make sure that I am aligned properly and the outdoor practice to make sure that I am reading greens properly.

Another thing that I do. I never putt from the same spot twice when I'm outside. I'm always changing the breaks and distances of the putts to make sure that I am constantly thinking about reading the putts rather than just putting.

I do practice putting, moreso in the spring/summer/fall when I can be on my course's practice green at off-hour times with my headphones in and can run different drills.

Love this thread. It took getting a coach involved before I figured out how to practice. I now track all kinds of putting stats to find issues that I need to work on. Use multiple tools when I practice including a plane board, alignment sticks, mirror, SeeMore triangulator. The funny thing is I still spend 80% of my time working on posture, set-up, and routine. I think Pat O'Brien said something like "if I can wake you from a deep sleep, put a putter in your hand, and you automatically go to the right position then you have it down." I am not there yet.

During the summer I do. There's a course 2 minutes from my house that doesn't have a range, but does have a practice green. I spend time there every week during the golf season in addition to any time I spend after range sessions at other courses. I have a pretty set routine and I'm happy with my putting results, so I'm not looking for anything all that different. I focus on setup, maintaining posture, quiet lower body, length of stroke for lag putts (with or without a cup). I do like to make a good number of shorter putts for confidence.

Right now I just knock in a few putts indoors to keep my stroke and setup in my memory more than anything. I don't spend much time putting indoors compared to during the season. If I do, I have a few little black dots on the surface that I try to roll the ball over.

When inside, I don't really have a choice but to practice my putting within 10 feet, as I don't have the floor space to be creative with length or hole locations. So I find myself focusing on my stroke more during these winter months. When I'm on a practice green, I usually spend time practicing my green reading, speed, and stroke. Drills like the 3/6/9 and around the world will be introduced into my putting practice sessions once the snow melts. Looking back on last season, I spent too much time on long putts, trying to justify it as practicing lag putting. I do think that working on the fundamentals of posture and stroke will automatically help with speed and lag putting, so this season I want to be able to be deadly from 10 feet and in, and I want to have a sound/repeatable stroke to rely on under pressure.

When I "practice" my putting, I do try and work on making my stroke smooth, and repeatable. I am also trying to get teh speed right. I don't expect to make a bunch of 10-12 footers, but feel I should at lest leave tap ins. And if I can get the stroke smooth and repeat that stroke, it seems to work out.

Putting mirror with a gate for the stroke and ball. I'll usually do that until things are rolling well (usually 30-40min) and then work on distance control. Usually finish up with putting 2 balls at various holes around the green and keeping score so I feel a little pressure opposed to just mindless putting.

The first part IMO has helped my stroke a lot. It reminds me to keep my head still after impact instead of trying to peek. I know the second I do, that stupid ball is clanging off a tee.

I do absolutely practice with a purpose. My biggest issues have been my stroke and my alignment. Something I have started doing is going to a 4ft putt that is perfectly straight. I started out just trying to make 5 in a row. Then 10, and so on. I am up to 30 in a row. I think it A) helps me know that my stroke is getting better and more consistent and B) Helps put me under a little pressure. If I miss 1 putt, I start back over. Once I can get out on an actual green I will work really hard on reading the green better.

Great question...I have never thought of it that way. When I "practice" putting I think it is more for the purpose of getting the read on the greens for the upcoming round. I don't often visit the putting green unless I am playing a round shortly thereafter.

Back