Do You Really Practice Putting?

I did a good amount when I got my DLL just so I could get use to counterbalance

I start practicing putting mid February and hit the range when they open.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

All the time my sons got me a birdie ball green for Christmas

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I think I really practice my putting. I look at it like this. With my BirdieBall I cannot practice reading the green. I cannot practice more than 13 feet. These are my constraints. On the course I believe reading greens is going to be an ongoing learning curve, meaning I expect to read them wrong, and not sink many from outside 5 or 6 feet. What that leaves me with is practicing how not to 3 putt from 13 feet out. So I practice distance control. This means putting the ball over the hole (plugged so it rolls over smoothly), without going 1 foot past the hole.

I work on my stroke and distance, and I believe that will make a lot of difference on the course.

Most of my putting practice is at home to get the stroke honed. On the basement berber carpet with a cup.
I am not trying to make a putt go in the hole as much as I am working on the stroke itself.
I will occasionally go to the course down the street and only take my putter to work my putting, but not as much as I probably should.

I try to practice my putting stroke every day, in the house. Have not had the time to hit the putting green c at the course much.

I used to put more emphasis on mechanics, grip, tempo, etc. I never really got any better at putting until I started putting (no pun intended) most/all of my effort in getting a better read on reading the putt correctly, specifically picking a line and properly judging the speed required to get it as close as possible to the hole. I hardly ever even take a practice stroke during a round, but I do take more time looking at a putt, especially longer ones or ones with a lot of break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have started putting every night. I have struggled so much in putting over the last couple of years, and I am tired of it. My putting has improved some already.

I hit about 50 putts from 7' on my accelerator putting mat. I putt all of these balls with the Ping Putting cradle. This has really helped me with making a consistent putting stroke.

I think putting is the only thing I have been fortunate to be able to practice this winter season. I have been focusing on form and my take away. I feel that there is helping with my ability to not pull or push those short putts. Its all in the pace!

Honestly I don't think I really know how to practice putting. The only thing I've ever done is just got putt balls.

I think putting is the only thing I have been fortunate to be able to practice this winter season. I have been focusing on form and my take away. I feel that there is helping with my ability to not pull or push those short putts. Its all in the pace!

It will be fun hearing your answer to this after you get into the items you have arriving tomorrow.

The pro at my club revealed to me that unless I'm doing specific drills, I'm putting aimlessly more often than not. I've found that specific drills really help my putting instead of hitting a couple balls to the same hole from the same distance.

I asked myself this question recently and the answer is, absolutely not. I really need to put the same amount of time into my putting that I do my other clubs. Going to work more on it this season

The pro I take lessons from gives me drills to do. So yes I actually practice putting, paying close attention to fundamentals. Practicing putting is very much focused on mechanics etc. I spend a solid 30-45 min putting and chipping typically and about the same on the actually range when I practice.

One to two hours per week, about 1/2 straight seven foot putts then maybe (depends on what needs work) down grade L to R, then different lengths, then finish by making 2 footers. It helps, I might mishit one putt every round or two. Now if only I could read the greens.

The greens are sandy and punched now so all my practice time is on the grass end of the range beating balls and trying to find the magic.

I do practice, but I don't actually know anything about proper form or fundamentals, so my practicing is just repeating putts from various locations, or doing drills. Honestly the thing that helps me most is putting on my little auto-return thing at home, because it helps me groove hitting it straight. My results improved dramatically once I started using that thing. I'm a bad golfer, but I rarely card more than 2 3-putts in a round, and I'd say I do it once/round about half the time. Also I can't remember the last time I had more than 35 putts in a round. I've stopped keeping track in a database, but last year my average was 33.2/round, which I think is pretty good for a hacker.

It will be fun hearing your answer to this after you get into the items you have arriving tomorrow.

Can't wait to break open that package tomorrow. I just happen to be in Michigan.

I practiced putting with lots of drills/aids for 30 years. It was not uncommon for me to putt for 2 or 3 hours straight a couple days each week before kids. Last year I actually went through a proper putter fitting and it revealed that I had been putting with a putter that was 3" too long my whole life. I shaved 1.5 strokes off my putts per round almost immediately and hope to shave another stroke this season. Dummy me for not doing this earlier in my golfing career. I now work on tempo, alignment, and a still lower body only and am putting the best I have in 30 years with 1/10th the practice time on the putting green. Should have known this from all my custom fitting sessions with my 13 other clubs, but fitting is everything.

I ordered a 3x12' birdieball that should be arriving tomorrow. What are some good drills I can practice with that amount of space?

If the golf course is empty, and if I feel the need of practice, I practice putting with few balls on the green.

I try to devote a day a week to practicing putting and it's really helped. I do a lot of drills that generally consist of practicing from different distances. It definitely helps me realize bad habits, like too long of a backstroke, tempo and alignment. But it's something I enjoy doing and i think it has helped me improve a lot this year

I have lots of different drills and a few putting aids that I use. All my long hours of putting practice didn't do much to improve my putting until I took a couple putting lessons earlier this summer. Now that my set up, club path, and aiming are fixed I really only need to practice an hour so each week to stay sharp. Before I was practicing 15 hours per week and not seeing any improvement so yes you could say that I had an insane approach to putting for most of the last 25 years. I guess I'm a slow learner!

I've devoted the time I used to spend putting to making my first major swing change in my life which also requires more golf specific strength and flexibility exercises so my body can handle the 1000-1500 balls I'm hitting each week. The swing changes are certainly not engrained yet but I do see a little progress each week.

I try, but putting for me seems to be like brain surgery. I don't think all the practice in the world will help until I get someone to show me what the heck I'm actually supposed to be doing.

I try, but putting for me seems to be like brain surgery. I don't think all the practice in the world will help until I get someone to show me what the heck I'm actually supposed to be doing.

I've taken 2 putting lessons this year. both were 95% focused on feel, with very little to do with technique. and I don't have a great putting stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back