Do you take lessons? Who with?

I take lessons from the head pro at my club a few times per year. Unlike many of them I have encountered, he is actually both a good player and a good teacher. Has a full setup indoors with trackman and cameras etc during the winter, and thats when I like to go, plus its cheaper. I always get a bit worse scoring wise after lessons while I implement the changes, so I like to do it during the winter then by springtime I am getting pretty close, and by summer I am fully ready to go.

As a side note, with the amount many golfers (me included) spend on new equipment trying to improve, they would be much better served spending it on lessons. A new driver that costs $400 is probably like 4-5 lessons with a good instructor and I guarantee you'll see more improvement than from just the new driver.

Just have to find a good instructor, be patient, and be willing to make changes and get worse before getting better. In a few years I have cut my handicap in half from a 12 down to a 5/6 and a lot of that is due to lessons.

Saturday can't get here soon enough. Its going to be work, a lot of work, to break habits, but I know there is a waaaaay better golfer lurking than I've ever let out on the course.

Scared. Excited. But know I'm in good hands.

Good luck. Just be patient. A lot of times with lessons you have to get worse for a short period before you get better as you break bad habits and implement the new changes. A lot of people give up because they dont have the long-term mentality.

Used to, but not anymore. Don't have the time and money and would rather just play if I have both. When I did, I went locally to Rick Grayson. Did a complete 180 on my game in about 7-8 lessons, and it stuck. Great teacher.

I am the same way. This year I am working with my club pro and sticking with it all season

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you haven't started with Chris, I can't stress enough how good Rick is and how easy his approach is to teaching. You should give him a try.

About three years ago, I took one of the big series of lessons with GolfTec. Since then, no defined lessons, as it took that time for me to focus efforts on a couple of things noted at GolfTec.

I have received a few pointers, lately, but no lessons. Will likely try to find a pro with access to decent practice bunkers in the spring. That's an area I need help with.

I've never had lessons, but my wife bought me a 5 lesson pack for Christmas. I'm really looking forward to it, but will wait another month or so for warmer weather.

I'm in the same boat. I have never had formal lessons from anyone other than my father. He has been the only one who has understood my swing & all of my idiosyncrasies. I've done alright! I'm not sure I would want someone to "change" what I'm doing just because it's the "correct" way in his/her mind. I've always been of the adage that "what works for some, doesn't always work for others." If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There's a local guy out here that a couple of my friends have used. He's really into boimechanics and guarantees improvement. If you don't improve you don't pay. They really liked him. It's Jay Lim Golf Academy in Fullerton, Ca.

starting lessons in a few weeks with a guy from the PGA SS....just need my back to get healed up. really excited.

I haven't taken formal lessons yet, but I plan on taking some with Bill Reilly. He's the golf coach for both boys & girls teams at the school where I teach, and I helped him coach JV boys last year (i.e., I drove the van). He set up a simulator league last year and I did that, and the matches essentially became teaching lessons. My swing has improved 100% (according to Mr 441) and Bill is the main reason, so I'm definitely going to keep working with him over this winter.

For those that do take lessons, how long are the your sessions? 30 mins? 1 hour? I ask because the Pro I will be using offers both. Just curious if those that do take 30 min lessons feel like they get enough in that timespan.

I go for 30 minutes. I find too much more than that I get too much in my head. So once i get one part of the swing down for 2 or 3 30 minute lessons we move on to the next part. A lot of the time once the fundmentals are good the rest works itself out.

I have taken several "packs of lessons" with several instructors, but the changes never sticked. I guess my swing is so bad, i would need 6 months worth of lessons and minimal playing to get it to change. Since this is a hobby (and not a job) for me, I dont want to take that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took 3 lessons last year from a PGA pro at my home course, Tyson McFarland. He's younger and helped me re-learn basics and little by little incorporate a more modern swing and game. I will take more lessons this year with a focus on short game.

If I could afford it, I'd take a 3-day set of lessons from Martin Chuck. I rally like his videos - just wish I could afford the in-person live experience lol!

Once I get to a laptop I'll fully update this, but I have indeed found my instructor.

The difference between always being TOLD what you are doing and being SHOWN is night and day.

Lots of homework, lots of effort to rewire my head/body sequence. But I hit draws yesterday, honest to goodness draws.

Alright, so, yesterday I finally got to have my first lesson with Tracy Phillips who operated out of Cedar Ridge Country Club in Tulsa/Broken-Arrow. I've been pretty nervous about it the last two weeks to be honest, I've finally decided to improve my game for ME and not for an event or competition, but I also knew going in that I have gotten away with a lot simply by being athletic and coordinated enough to make it work for me.

Got to the lesson and Tracy was finishing up with another lesson and asked me to go warm up, so I did and after stretching hit some 8i and 5hy to get loose...and was hitting it pretty well...or so I thought haha.

Tracy first asked me my thoughts on my swing and where I was, I was honest with him that I feel like I get away with a lot based on just being athletic enough to have figured out the wrong ways to make it work for me on the course. Also, that the longer the club the harder it was for me to keep the ball on line. From there he wanted me to hit some shots while he recorded the swings from all angles with V1. Uh-oh.

So, the long and short of it? Here we go.

1) My posture was/is solid, good athletic positions other than being too narrow, easy fix.

2) I suck the club back inside badly on takeaway - I had been told this before by other instructors, but not SHOWN what it was and just what "under-plane" looked like.

3) I take the club up STEEP - With where my takeaway goes its all I could do from there.

4) Improper weight shift - I was way too front foot and not turning into my back foot for the shift. Tracy gave me a good thought here - get the left shoulder over the right toe. This though put me in an added steep spot.

5) INSANELY cupped left wrist - This is me trying to make the timing work and get back to the ball somehow

6) WAY over the line at the top - Thanks to all the other things, all I could do is get over the line, not bueno

7) Over the top, over again - Ugh. At this point in the swing, I'm stuck. Steep, weight forward, and no room for the hips to clear even if they wanted to. OTT is the only place to go.

So yeah, thats a list, right? But it was all easily digestible is the strange thing. For a couple years I've heard the terms like under-plane, over-the-line, steep, etc...but I never grasped what they really meant or looked like until Traace stopped and made me watch each part of the swing with V1. Better yet, with each part he stopped and showed me, with me at address, what I was doing and where we needed to get and why.

I hit only about 35 or so balls in the hour and a half we were there, most everything was done working on the takeaway being BACK and not in, the turn into the right side with left shoulder feeling like its over the right toe, EXTENDING to the top and not trying to tuck that elbow (I have been assigned some stretches for my rotator as I really am not very flexible there, to the point he immediately asked if I had injured my shoulder/elbow/wrist on the right side at some point), bump the wall with my right hip as it sets, try to lay the club off at the top (feels like that, but its so different from my over the line spot that it feels like an extreme when its actually the correct spot), then as I'm getting to the top commence the hip turn and let the arms drop down and to my right hip swinging VERY exaggerated to extreme right field.

Seems like a lot in text, but it really isn't in my head, which is a win. Every bit of it makes sense and I got to SEE the differences made. Tracy also got really excited to see me getting it, in particular when I would stop in a practice swing and immediately name what I had done wrong and where I needed to be as I fell into old habits. Super encouraging, and genuine, not fake.

We did a lot of swinging OVER a teed up ball (teed 2-3" up) with 8i, 5hy, and even driver where I had to make my swing, correctly, 5-10 times before hitting a ball. Its evident its all about rewiring my body and head at this point but they arent crazy changes, so right now if it feels wrong, its right. I hit some terrible shots as its all so foreign, but towards the end I hit some MASSIVE draws, genuine, true, honest, draws...talk about a eureka moment. After session we agreed to meet in 2 weeks and re-assess, until then I am to make 125 extremely exaggerated and slow swings per day on air and while at practice with the kids drop some and hit some focusing on the swing and not the results. Ingrain, ingrain, ingrain.

I could not be more excited, seriously, I just couldn't, no way. I found a teacher who I trust and believe in. Its expensive, but its worth every single penny.

Good info there Jman. Seeing swing on video shows how feel and what is are usually two totally different things. I hat seeing my swing on video but it's a great way to learn.

wishing you luck on this journey and seeing where your game goes.

James, were you sucking it inside by rolling the face open? Or just bringing it straight inside on the takeaway?

James, were you sucking it inside by rolling the face open? Or just bringing it straight inside on the takeaway?

Straight inside, it was wild to see because its not at all what I thought I was doing. I've known I was steep forever, and I think I started this thinking it was shallowing my swing out, when in reality it was just compounding things. Silly game.

But now I realize even more I absolutely NEVER would have gotten on the correct path to fixing things without professional help. For what might be the first time ever yesterday I really FELT what swinging in to out meant. Lots of work to be done, but its a start!

Awesome post James! One of your best (and that's saying a lot!)

Tracy first asked me my thoughts on my swing and where I was, I was honest with him that I feel like I get away with a lot based on just being athletic enough to have figured out the wrong ways to make it work for me on the course.

Haha! Being athletic is not a problem for me! Wait. That doesn't sound right. Anyway - I'm not coordinated enough to pull stuff off, so for me it's a slow grind to get better.

I hit only about 35 or so balls in the hour and a half we were there, most everything was done working on the takeaway being BACK and not in, the turn into the right side with left shoulder feeling like its over the right toe, EXTENDING to the top and not trying to tuck that elbow

I think it's surprising how few balls you actually hit during that lesson. I wonder - does this give you any ideas for coaching your own students?

Seems like a lot in text, but it really isn't in my head, which is a win. Every bit of it makes sense and I got to SEE the differences made. Tracy also got really excited to see me getting it, in particular when I would stop in a practice swing and immediately name what I had done wrong and where I needed to be as I fell into old habits. Super encouraging, and genuine, not fake.

It's great that you found such a good fit! The passion and helpfulness of Tracy comes loud & clear through your words!

We did a lot of swinging OVER a teed up ball (teed 2-3" up) with 8i, 5hy, and even driver where I had to make my swing, correctly, 5-10 times before hitting a ball. Its evident its all about rewiring my body and head at this point but they arent crazy changes, so right now if it feels wrong, its right. I hit some terrible shots as its all so foreign, but towards the end I hit some MASSIVE draws, genuine, true, honest, draws...talk about a eureka moment. After session we agreed to meet in 2 weeks and re-assess, until then I am to make 125 extremely exaggerated and slow swings per day on air and while at practice with the kids drop some and hit some focusing on the swing and not the results. Ingrain, ingrain, ingrain.

I could not be more excited, seriously, I just couldn't, no way. I found a teacher who I trust and believe in. Its expensive, but its worth every single penny.

YES! Verification that making those slow motion drills is important and valuable. I've started doing the same thing at home. I realize 1) how inflexible I am & need to improve this 2) How much I'm starting to feel where the club is in relation to my body & how my body position affects the club path. It's very enlightening. But I better get busy if I'm gonna do 125 per day!

Also, isn't it amazing how feel isn't real? I have some of the same swing faults, and I never once felt like I was coming over the top until my coach showed me video & walked me through it.

Once again, a superb post - thanks for sharing this! I'm pumped just re-reading it! Keep up the good work Jman!

Back