Do you use video when practicing?

The last time that I practiced, video tape hadn't replaced 8mm film yet.
Whatever memory media replaced tape weren't even imagined.

For sure. It’s an awesome way to get feed back. As Jeremy said, you think you feel your doing it right but when you see it sometimes it’s just the opposite.

My instructor will video during my lesson and then send me that video so i can reference it while i am practicing. It is eye opening watching a video in slow motion when you are doing something wrong.

Have done video during a swing lesson. But, not during a practice session.

yes

I do it here at home and do it frequently. The first thing I learn is my swing is ugly compared to the guys on TV and I hate watching my swing. I tell my friends even an ugly swing can produce some good results. The second thing I learned is I don't do what I think I do even when I'm not under pressure.

to make the point, I feel I reduced the length of my backswing but video indicates it still longer then most touring pro's. when I feel I have a full swing I have gone past parallel and pulled my entire body up and off the ball. video makes honest man out of me

During this latest attempt to fix my swing I started taking video. Its a process, a lengthy one at that but the more I learn about the golf swing the more I can see wrong in my own just by taking video at the range. Do you take video at the range? IF not why?
Every. Single. Time. I save the videos from when things are going well and refer to them when things are not.

I rarely videotape myself, but have taken lessons where the instructor videos things for me to see.

I don’t but really need to. I think it’s more about being that guy on the range video taping himself. At this point I need to join the rest as I learned a lot about my swing from the one lesson I took years ago.

That's my issue. My instructor uses video, which is great.

I'd love to take some swings of myself when I practice, but I feel like a doofus setting up a camera and filming myself. I'll occasionally ask someone next to me if they would mind taping my swing. They are usually willing to do it. But even though they are nice about it, I always rush through my pre-shot routine and swing because I feel like I'm intruding on their time. And often times the angle isn't great - but again, they are doing me a favor, so it's not like I'm going to be picky about what I get.

My instructor uses video and it's great. And for the most part I tend to gravitate to the same problems, so a quick check on video helps get me back on track.

During this latest attempt to fix my swing I started taking video. Its a process, a lengthy one at that but the more I learn about the golf swing the more I can see wrong in my own just by taking video at the range. Do you take video at the range? IF not why?

Never use video.
All my swing/instruction focus is on address technique. Once in awhile I'll have a look in a mirror or glass window reflection, but never video.
When I was a kid video was not readily available, so the instructors I worked with never used a camera. For some students I think a video might be a helpful part of the learning process, but for others it can be counter productive. Really, if a player is working with an instructor he/she should trust the instructor's commentary and not "need" to look at video.

Luddites don't have that capability, thus, no ;)

I've taken a couple and it's not hard to see why I'm a 15 cap haha.
I think if I was working with an instructor I would welcome the video as a way to measure your transition.

In lessons wiht my Pro, we video on occasion and it helps me.

I have a Skytrak and they now have integration with Swing Catalyst. I'm leaning hard on picking that up. Video doesn't lie or have an opinion, so as a learning tool, I like it.

For instance, at one point I was working on bowing my lead wrist. I was convinced I was bowing it so much it was ridiculous. Video showed otherwise, I needed to bow even more.

That's my issue. My instructor uses video, which is great.

I'd love to take some swings of myself when I practice, but I feel like a doofus setting up a camera and filming myself. I'll occasionally ask someone next to me if they would mind taping my swing. They are usually willing to do it. But even though they are nice about it, I always rush through my pre-shot routine and swing because I feel like I'm intruding on their time. And often times the angle isn't great - but again, they are doing me a favor, so it's not like I'm going to be picky about what I get.

My instructor uses video and it's great. And for the most part I tend to gravitate to the same problems, so a quick check on video helps get me back on track.
Can always just set your empty bucket behind you and lean the phone up against it. It seems to work pretty well. I can see not wanting to do it if the place is full but I don't really care. This allows me to take my time and hit the ball the way I am trying to not feeling rushed.

That's my issue. I feel like a doofus setting up a camera and filming myself. I'll occasionally ask someone next to me if they would mind taping my swing. They are usually willing to do it. But even though they are nice about it, I always rush through my pre-shot routine and swing because I feel like I'm intruding on their time. And often times the angle isn't great - but again, they are doing me a favor, so it's not like I'm going to be picky about what I get.

Buy a selfieGOLF clip and an alignment stick. I met a guy at the range last year that had one of the clips on the edge of his bag, and it seemed handy enough that I picked one up. Friends have now too. We use them a lot. We usually don't bother to do the bag clip thing, just clip it to an alignment stick and jamb it into the ground. Even when we're together. Because we actually get better video that way than with someone holding the phone. It's really handy at the range. You can set it up right next to your bag if you're shy about it, and most people will have no idea you're doing it. My clip is basically set up on an alignment stick and in my bag permanently so it's ready to go. Both match my bag color, so you'd have to be nosey to even notice it.

Last edited:
I have a flex arm mount I should use with my phone or GoPro ...I just figured that "I’m not there yet"...but I guess it’d be good for some self loathing :LOL:

I am in the camp of believing videos certainly help correct swing flaws (mine), but don't film myself at the range. My instructor has video analysis and I seem to respond well to watching my own swing with him. I don't film on the range at this point as I'm sure it'd be easy for me to not know what i'm looking at/for and try to correct my own swing.

It's crazy how you can learn to spot what you are doing wrong when analyzing videos but also shameful how I'll try to hit through a problem instead of just recording a darn video. I need to get one of those selfie things that connect to an alignment stick

I do I use a app called coaches eye it's free and you can slow it down frame by frame and draw lines all over it.

Yes. A lot of times feel is not real. You think your getting into a certain position and you realize your far from it.
As long as you know what to look for and guidance from a coach.

I do I use a app called coaches eye it's free and you can slow it down frame by frame and draw lines all over it.
I'm installing now.. That app looks incredible. I have no reason not to take more videos now!!

I like the fact you can draw your plane lines and play it frame by frame, it really helps when practicing for instant feedback
I saw is a one time $15 fee for the extra features and pulled the trigger. Going to incorporate more videos into my practice routine

Back