Does a hole in one on an indoor simulator count?

Does a hole in one on an indoor simulator count?

• Total voters
Nope. In that instance I say no. You aren't hitting an actual ball. But I'll still take 5 drinks!

5 drinks.....I'm gettin off easy!

How do you know that sim isn't programmed like a slot machine? Just too many unknowns of a computer program.

5 drinks.....I'm gettin off easy!

How do you know that sim isn't programmed like a slot machine? Just too many unknowns of a computer program.
Haha! Maybe it is. I think with older systems there can be many flaws but all the newer stuff is pretty accurate.

I get that, I totally do. That's the golfer in you talking. See my last post too. I would probably do the same thing but if you stop and think about it, shouldn't both count the same?

I read that. And agree 100%. But I don't listen to logic in golf... probably why my handicap is still 19 or so:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like a longest drive on the simulator- great fun, but not the real thing.

So you've never hit an iron or wood longer than you expected?

Have you ever had a hole in one on a simulator? Have you had one in real life?

I ask that because most holes in one are pure luck anyways. Some may have one by hitting the perfect shot, others by thinning it and it rolling up and in. So why is something that is just as random not considered a hole in one while something in real life is just as random?

And Rollin just made point. Simulator golf is just as random as much as real life is. So sometimes you'll get the right bounce and most of the time you won't. So by that logic there are no HIO that actually count.

have not had a HOI. Closest was a lipout from about 190. A downhill par and 5i in hand landed about 20 feet took a bounce and rolled at the pin but lipped out. To be honest I wouldnt have considered it pure luck had it gone in because it was a heck of a shot with a great pure strike and a pretty trajectory and on target. I wouldnt have considerd it anything like luck or skill but just a HOI via a great shot. I mean if I holed because I hit a sprinkler head somewhere and than bounced on the side of a bunker hill and rolled on the green into the cup Id feel extremely lucky then. But an honestly good and well struck and played shot? I wouldnt feel lucky but just nothing but happy I made a great shot that went in.

That's just me but all that being said. The randomness of a sim is not real, its computer generated. The entire ball flight is computer generated. Sure I understand it generates the flight based on launch factors but still it is calculated and not real. The things that affect flight, bounce and roll, and the air that creates reactions of the ball in real life are real. They simply don't exist the same way on a sim. They all really exist in real life and are all part of your real ball strike . The hole itself is real. Everything that happens whether outright great shot or a lucky one are all real. The only thing real on a sim is the strike factors and about 11/12 feet or so of flight. After that its simply a calculated guess and that's assuming the computer had no missed or slightly off info from what it measured. Im not saying sims nowadays (especially the best ones) are not good for what they do. I do feel they are pretty amazing but in the end they are still nothing more than a calculated guess and still not real.

One can feel how ever they wish. If one wishes to feel a simulated HOI is as good as a real one then so be it. But still in the end I would not be running around telling everyone in my world I got a HOI. Imo it wouldnt be the same accomplishment.

I understand you are trying to ask why would the randomness of the computer not mean the same as the possible randomness created
by all the factors in real life. But imo you answer your own logic by stating "real" and that is what the computer is not. The hole itself is not real. It doesn't really exist. Its not really there. Imo therefore the HOI is not real. but hey...as said if one ants to be happy about it and feel its deserving of a HOI status than what can I say but congratz for you.

I do wonder one thing though. I wonder how many HOI on sims there are vs real life per rounds played.

Yep, just like nailing Jennifer Lawrence counts in your dreams.

No. I've had 3 on the SIM. One in on the fly Sawgrass #17. Cool but no.

Yep, just like nailing Jennifer Lawrence counts in your dreams.

Best line of the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to count my hole in one on a par four on tiger woods 13 then I say yes.

Back