Does a hole in one on an indoor simulator count?

• Total voters
Haha... love the results so far. 70-4 for the nay sayers.

I'm on the no side as well.

In my book i wouldn't consider it real, even if i did it... (i'd love a hole in one, but it has to be on the course).

Nope. Sorry.

I can't even make a putt on a simulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but you are still buying the drinks.

For the record, I voted no as well, I mean we got excited and high fives all around, but it just didn't feel the same as hitting into a real hole. It was really cool and I've never hit one on either a sim or real life so it was cool to do. But it got me wondering what others thought about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I did it on a simulator I wouldn't consider it to be a ace.

I don't get how this isn't the same thing as real life. I mean I get it not counting in a video game, but in a simulator you still have to swing the club, hit the ball and have quite a bit of luck. Same thing as in real life.

But just because it's on a video screen it doesn't count?

counts just as much as when i do it playing Rory McIlroy PGA Tour on the xbox

I don't get how this isn't the same thing as real life. I mean I get it not counting in a video game, but in a simulator you still have to swing the club, hit the ball and have quite a bit of luck. Same thing as in real life.

because in the end no matter how good the sim its still computer generated and its not real. The only thing real are the numbers from the launch factors that the computer sees. Everything else is simply a best guess after that point.

While it can consider wind .....It doesn't and cant place the affects of real life wind variances as the ball travels, humidity, ground, turf and greens conditions and imperfections, bounce and roll as they relate to all that. The sim (or the computer) itself even may offer random results when two balls are hit almost identically. And sometimes its way off. Like when you get those 210 yrd 7irons. So there is no way its going to fully ever play out exactly what your ball will or would have done in real life when considering all the factors especially when considering all of this comes down to an area that's only 4" round. The error or randomness of its calculated guess is just not true reality.

because in the end no matter how good the sim its still computer generated and its not real. The only thing real are the numbers from the launch factors that the computer sees. Everything else is simply a best guess after that point.

While it can consider wind .....It doesn't and cant place the affects of real life wind variances as the ball travels, humidity, ground, turf and greens conditions and imperfections, bounce and roll as they relate to all that. The sim (or the computer) itself even may offer random results when two balls are hit almost identically. And sometimes its way off. Like when you get those 210 yrd 7irons. So there is no way its going to fully ever play out exactly what your ball will or would have done in real life when considering all the factors especially when considering all of this comes down to an area that's only 4" round. The error or randomness of its calculated guess is just not true reality.
So you've never hit an iron or wood longer than you expected?

Have you ever had a hole in one on a simulator? Have you had one in real life?

I ask that because most holes in one are pure luck anyways. Some may have one by hitting the perfect shot, others by thinning it and it rolling up and in. So why is something that is just as random not considered a hole in one while something in real life is just as random?

And Rollin just made point. Simulator golf is just as random as much as real life is. So sometimes you'll get the right bounce and most of the time you won't. So by that logic there are no HIO that actually count.

I guess my first question is did you buy drinks for everyone in the store?

No but you are still buying the drinks.

hahaha that is just wrong.

I can turn my simulator up to 30mph back wind and Coloardo conditions --- Doesn't mean my driving average in the RL is 400 yards. Ya know?

Great shot and would be fun. But overall I have to say no. I just dont see simulator golf as real golf.

I can turn my simulator up to 30mph back wind and Coloardo conditions --- Doesn't mean my driving average in the RL is 400 yards. Ya know?

True, but that doesnt mean it couldn't happen in real life either.

If those conditions were met in real life are you saying your drive wouldn't count?

If those conditions were met in real life are you saying your drive wouldn't count?

I'd say I was internet long and laugh about it.

I don't know man, I just don't think a sim golf hole in one is a tangible event.

I guess my first question is did you buy drinks for everyone in the store?
The owner of the place was there and actually gave everyone there (only about 6) a free drink lol... I've honestly wondered where that came from though... So i just hit the best score in golf you can, get a hole in one... and now I have to pay for drinks? shouldn't it be the other way around? but that's for a different day lol

While I agree both real life and simulator hole in ones involve a LOT (a lot a lot of luck), the reason I voted no came down to feeling, when I hit it, I wasn't excited running around, I laughed said that's awesome and was happy, but it just didn't FEEL like a hole in one... but then again, i've never hit one in real life golf so Idk how I would reach to that either

I'd say I was internet long and laugh about it.

I don't know man, I just don't think a sim golf hole in one is a tangible event.
Exactly. I guess you could say the same for Sim golf. The golfer in me says no bit the logical side of my brain says "why not?".

Both are seemingly random events, doesn't matter the settings on a simulator, and both are not easy to do at all. I mean when you take a swing on the course you are taking your best guess at direction, wind, power, etc. It just happens that a comptuer will help with that in a simulator.

While I agree both real life and simulator hole in ones involve a LOT (a lot a lot of luck), the reason I voted no came down to feeling, when I hit it, I wasn't excited running around, I laughed said that's awesome and was happy, but it just didn't FEEL like a hole in one... but then again, i've never hit one in real life golf so Idk how I would reach to that either
I get that, I totally do. That's the golfer in you talking. See my last post too. I would probably do the same thing but if you stop and think about it, shouldn't both count the same?

Exactly. I guess you could say the same for Sim golf. The golfer in me says no bit the logical side of my brain says "why not?".

Both are seemingly random events, doesn't matter the settings on a simulator, and both are not easy to do at all. I mean when you take a swing on the course you are taking your best guess at direction, wind, power, etc. It just happens that a comptuer will help with that in a simulator.

So can I count my 5 HIO's I've had on the Wii? I swung the club/remote?

So can I count my 5 HIO's I've had on the Wii? I swung the club/remote?
Nope. In that instance I say no. You aren't hitting an actual ball. But I'll still take 5 drinks! ?

Back