Does Rick Shiels Move The Needle?

I honestly don’t know who he is. I don’t venture much beyond THP for reviews and I don’t watch much golf related content in any event.

Absolutely. If Rick Shields can't move the needle, nobody can.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I do occasionally watch him. It seemed like at a point in time, it was Rick and Mark Crossfield. Now the space is more crowded, and Crossfield has dropped off a bit (at least on my feed). Rick has showed some staying power.

No golf influencer is important to me personally when it comes from the equipment stand point. I might listen, and they might point my nose in the direction they want, but I don't purchase anything unless I give it thorough try out per my swing specs. They don't have my swing, and vice versa.

It's almost the same with swing/stroke instruction. I will watch their videos, and if some little tidbit trips my interest, I will give it a closer look. Example being my new hand grip came from two different instructor's videos. The fact that I was watching their lower bodies, and how I arrived at a new grip, is a whole nother story.

Another example is my swing tempo came from watching Tiger's warm up swings for hours Watching his warm up swings showed my brain the smooth tempo I wanted my swing to be like. .

As for Rick Shields moving the needle, I'm sure he does for the majority of those golfers looking for instruction. I've watched his videos, and he definitely comes across to me that he knows his stuff. That said, I've learned nothing new that stands out from his videos.

On another note, the only knock I have against some the video instructors is they talk too much. They add in too much miscellaneous bs to their instruction videos. Other's, like some of the European instructors talk to fast for my old, tired ears. My problem, not their's.

Yes he does. He’s one of the very few I’ll watch for an opinion on equipment

they might point my nose in the direction they want
That’s moving the needle FWIW. Thats one of the main goals of marketing is just to give their product a shot.

I think so. My regular golf group who are borderline luddites bring up his videos when we are out and about.

For me, no. Never watched him.

My son and his buddies, however, are big fans.

He does make a difference but I cant listen to him much his voice annoys me at times. I watch many swing videos and the one from the other day gave me my light bulb moment.

Rick and Alex Etches are entertaining. Alex because he tries to be funny and often succeeds, even if just by sheer goofiness. Rick is funny even when he doesn't try to be. Like his ridiculous cutting balls in half with ratcheting pruners. Neither of their ideas/ opinions about equipment apply to me in any manner, so I just don't care.

I do really like Mr. Short Games videos. Common sense golf tips well presented for the everyman. If he said look at something, I would.

He does make a difference but I cant listen to him much his voice annoys me at times. I watch many swing videos and the one from the other day gave me my light bulb moment.

Steve Pratt Golf was the channel I was watching. But Rick is a staple and has alot of good content.

I think he moves the needle in the sense of entertainment for those looking for quick, easily accessible content. But, like many of the others, clicks and a “brand” and subscribers and logarithms generate income. And I’ll watch but it’s not really moving my needle much.

Young Rick, Mark, Finch were ok enough for introducing equipment. Now, I come here to read and get opinions I value.

None of my In Real Life friends and acquaintances watches much in the way of YouTube golf stuff so they don't get "influenced".

But obviously he had hundreds of thousands of people looking to him for "influence", they just aren't in my social circle.

I've no idea why anyone would think an amiable doofus like Shiels is a useful source of equipment insight. It was years ago but in the videos I saw back then he would literally read marketing info off the back of a golf ball box or pull out his phone and read from Taylormade or Callaway's press release for a new club. At least he doesn't make any pretense of being anything other than someone telling his viewers what the makers advertise about a new club or ball.

The best thing I can say about him is his schtick isn't actively grating on my nerves after 10 seconds like some of the other popular "personalities" on YouTube. Crossfield in particular just gives me the Ick right from the off.

I'd think he does. How much I'm not sure but I definitely think he has a solid influence in the golf sphere.

I think he does, especially with intro/newer golfers. I watched a lot of his content when I was first coming back to the game. Clubs had changed so much and I felt like a fish out of water. Then I found THP.

His Break 75 series is interesting, and I still enjoy the £500 Challenge that he and Peter Finch do.

He probably does influence purchasing decisions of his followers. I don’t buy clubs based off of what folks on Instagram or YouTube say.

I buy clubs based off of what y’all say on here. So thanks y’all for being a bad influence 🤣
I'd say it's more common the other way around though, so imagine how many people would say the opposite.

I guess it depends where you're looking. For internet golf thirsty golfers, I would imagine he'd be atop the YouTube list. Couldn't tell you the last time I heard his name mentioned at my golf course.

I've come to really enjoy some of his on course golf content.
The review stuff doesn't do much for me.

Who?

He doesn’t with me, but there are plenty that buy clubs on the advice of others, and with all those followers, I guess he must. Some of the podcasts he’s done recently with players have been worth a watch though.

Doesn't move my needle... in terms of purchases.

Not for me personally, but I think with the following and audience he has, he probably does move the needle in general. I’ve typically liked watching him for the break 75s and on course content more than anything else.

If Tiger Woods couldn't move the needle for Nike golf clubs, I'm not sure anyone will buy Wilson just because Rick Shiels plays them.

They might and be and are probably great for certain golfer but until I see them in stores and being pushed by a marketing campaign like TaylorMade and Callaway do, then they'll always lag behind. Brand recognition and reputation take a long time to build and salesmen need to sell them.

I enjoy watching his videos but he doesn’t influence what I buy. I like the break xx series and really enjoy the 10 shot challenge wit tour pros. I do like his reviews and find them pretty honest but if I’m looking for a deep dive on equipment I’m coming here and watching Ian and Mikey.

I wish he would do more with him, Peter Finch, Matt Friar, and Andy Carter. Those were always fun videos.

That video with the new Wilson irons already has 168,000 views in a little over 3 days.

I don't know if that moves a needle, but it's dang well moving something, and I suspect Wilson is going to like it.

Move my needle? No. He is the #1 YT for golf so it's not a shock he gets views.
I do like his videos tho.

I was shocked when I found out how much he is worth tho.
YT must pay well!

Back