Dormie hole two breakdown.

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
Continuing along our journey to hole two.

Hole 2 is a pretty big dog leg left. From the tee you cannot see the green. There is a large bunker at the corner that is about a 250 -260 yard carry if you take the aggressive line and hug the corner. If a draw is not your thing, there is plenty of room to the right off the tee.

1695130488600.png
1695129726628.png

Once you get to the landing zone and start working on your approach you will see that the fairway tightens toward the green. You want to be to the middle left of this fairway as again there are trees on the right side that can if nothing else cause a visual distraction and hang over the fairway a little bit. So aim for the green zone and try to avoid the red. The bunker is not really in play, but can mess with your mind a bit. Just ignore it.

1695130230298.png

1695130371568.png
There are no flat greens at Dormie, but this green is on the "flatter" side. Trust the caddy read and roll it in!

Good breakdown. The first time seeing the hole you think you need a draw to be in a good spot, but that is not the case.

I loved this tee shot when I was there. I took it over the bunker all 3 times I played it.

I love this hole because it's an option tee ball. You can take an aggressive enough line on the edge of the bunker and let the natural move decide whether you have a short wedge or a short iron. If you have a shot shape you expect, definitely play for it, but there's nothing to gain here from being super aggressive other than a potential for lost golf ball.

The green is also great. Plays a hair up from the left side and most of it is blind from a visual perspective so it seems like what would be long probably isn't. Trust the pin spot and knowing that there is 'x' amount of green behind the pin.

One caveat to @Kodi'aK awesome breakdown.
If the pin is front left or back left, the green can be sneaky hard as ****

I love this hole because it's an option tee ball. You can take an aggressive enough line on the edge of the bunker and let the natural move decide whether you have a short wedge or a short iron. If you have a shot shape you expect, definitely play for it, but there's nothing to gain here from being super aggressive other than a potential for lost golf ball.

The green is also great. Plays a hair up from the left side and most of it is blind from a visual perspective so it seems like what would be long probably isn't. Trust the pin spot and knowing that there is 'x' amount of green behind the pin.

What is this short wedge or short iron? :LOL:

Continuing along our journey to hole two.

Hole 2 is a pretty big dog leg left. From the tee you cannot see the green. There is a large bunker at the corner that is about a 250 -260 yard carry if you take the aggressive line and hug the corner. If a draw is not your thing, there is plenty of room to the right off the tee.

Once you get to the landing zone and start working on your approach you will see that the fairway tightens toward the green. You want to be to the middle left of this fairway as again there are trees on the right side that can if nothing else cause a visual distraction and hang over the fairway a little bit. So aim for the green zone and try to avoid the red. The bunker is not really in play, but can mess with your mind a bit. Just ignore it.

There are no flat greens at Dormie, but this green is on the "flatter" side. Trust the caddy read and roll it in!

I thought this was a dog right? 😂
What was the overall contour of the greens here?

I thought this was a dog right? 😂
What was the overall contour of the greens here?

Who would say something that silly??;)

I do remember you telling me to avoid hitting it left.
The green slopes away towards the cart path on the left side and when @jdtox and I were there the first time, that front right pin was crazy tough.

I love what I am seeing from this hole.

Smart play (for me) would be playing out to the right, but I would probably try and take that bunker on

The green slopes away towards the cart path on the left side and when @jdtox and I were there the first time, that front right pin was crazy tough.
All the greens there can be really tough depending on pin placement

Great breakdown. Since I tend to get a little draw but not all the time, and the miss is typically to overcook it a little, this seems like one where I take it a little more out right and wait for the draw. If I get it, great, it shortens the hole, if I don't we're still cool, and if I overcook it at least we're probably still in play. If I take that aggressive line at the right edge of the bunker and overcook it, it's gonna be a problem so best to minimize that risk.

I would be in that left side fairway bunker probably 9/10 times if I played this hole.

I was there a time or two. It's not that bad because the sand was fluffy and not hardpan. Also ALL Dormie bunkers are waste bunkers. Practice shots are allowed.

Short hitters on this hole may want to play the white tees. Otherwise your ball may join mine in the waste area beyond the tees.:ROFLMAO:

Number 2 is one of my favorites. Several ways to play this hole but from the fairway is ideal. The green...is definitely tricky. I left my partner a 5' one time and he ran it by and gave me 15' from off the green.

This shot makes me think about a 3w or hybrid depending on how I am hitting driver that day. The photo from the tee makes it look wide so it is up in the air. The approach is devious since it is tough to see what the green does in the photo. As big as the green is, the approach view looks like a small landing zone. Love it!

I can hit a draw but cannot carry 260, so I am heading right, at least that is the plan.

Fun risk/reward tee shot

Also folks will find out that flat shots from the fairway are more of a reward than the standard.

Another excellent breakdown. Seriously good and much appreciated.

Back