Drinking and Playing

Plin

Long Swinging Paul
Reaction score
Handicap
TrendingUP
For a fun day at the course all of my buddies will at least down a 6 pack through 18 and sometimes more.

But the more I've played more seriously the more I have stayed away drinking at all on the course, wait till the 19th hole so to speak.

However my buddy swear he plays better and have scores to prove it that he's better off slushed and playing in the back 9.

Now a days I (jokingly) tell my buddies that it's been shown that 1% dehydration leads to 20% performance decline, doesn't seem to deter them though.

How do you feel about drinking and playing?

I rarely do it. Not because I'm against it, it just doesn't happen. Usually water and some kind of additive(nuun or mio) will do the trick for me. During some charity scrambles and such I will because they usually include a 6 pack or so for the cart.

I will usually have a 1-3 drinks during a round. Generally either a bloody mary or vodka lemonade depending on time of day. Sometimes a beer on the course just doesn't sit well with me. I haven't seen any difference in scores resulting from drinking or not drinking.

I have no problems with it. I certainly partake, except during major competitions (and even then, I may have a couple).

~Rock

Rarely even have a beer and I enjoy my drinking, this game is hard enough without being impaired IMO.

I dont do it, but dont care if someone else does. For me I pay to much and put too much time practicing to just !@#$ off for fours hours and not give itmy best effort. Now if my round isnt going so well and a good score is eluding me, then its game on.

I will say hunger is the ultimate killer of my game, so whenever possible I'd have a sandwich ready. But personally I have definitely noticed drinking at all is usually the start of some sort of mistake and leading to frustration and poor scoring.

Cant play drunk, wont play drunk and hate when I play with guys who are idiots when they play drunk. I don't mind a few drinks on the course but a 6 pack or more is nuts and if they are sloshed on the back 9 who drives them home or do they do that drunk as well?

Depends on the day for me. There are days when I'll have 6-12 beers for 18 holes, and then there are days when I'll just drink gatorade. I've got no problem with people doing either. The only problem that I see is when some groups drink a little too much and start disrespecting the course and other golfers on the course.

To each their own though. I'll never try to tell my playing partners whether they should or shouldn't drink.

I drink on the course and have no issue with it. If you don't want to drink, then don't. Keep the stats for the class room and loosen up. If they want to drink, let them drink. As long as they are being rude or wrecking the course, I see not issue with guys drinking.

I will say hunger is the ultimate killer of my game, so whenever possible I'd have a sandwich ready. But personally I have definitely noticed drinking at all is usually the start of some sort of mistake and leading to frustration and poor scoring.

yes I always like to keep snacks of some sorts in my bag.

Of course the stat is jokingly said, I really don't care that anyone drinks if that's how it comes across. It's just funny to me to be frustrated about playing poorly while downing more drinks.

Most of the time I play too early to drink. Or I walk, which isn't really conducive.

But yea, I'll have a few if the time is right.

Depends on the setting. I usually drink during scramble tournaments with buddies. Other than that, not drinks for me.

It just depends for me. I have a buddy who is about a 15 handicap before drinking, about a scratch after 2 beers, and about a 30 handicap after 4 beers. If only he knew how to stay in the sweet spot.

Many times I start out hoping it'd be a decent round, but then my friends' shenanigans get to me and bad shots start happening, I end up getting drinks because the round is already in the toilet.

It just depends for me. I have a buddy who is about a 15 handicap before drinking, about a scratch after 2 beers, and about a 30 handicap after 4 beers. If only he knew how to stay in the sweet spot.

Haha, the elusive perfect zone.

The only time I might have one is when I'm playing in a scramble tourney. Other than that I usually wait til the end of the round to celebrate both good/bad rounds with you Plin!
Funny story, one time Plin bought me a G&T and a shot of Jack at the turn. To say the least I could hardly keep my focus to swing my clubs for a few holes, not fun.

I see no problem with it as long as you are not trashed on the course. I will have a few beers while golfing with friends.

The only time I might have one is when I'm playing in a scramble tourney. Other than that I usually wait til the end of the round to celebrate both good/bad rounds with you Plin!
Funny story, one time Plin bought me a G&T and a shot of Jack at the turn. To say the least I could hardly keep my focus to swing my clubs for a few holes, not fun.

The good ole' sabotage G&T

I rarely drink during a round as I tend to relax and start spraying the ball all over the course. I generally wait until after the round before I have 1 or 2.

I rarely drink when I play because I have far more opportunities to drink than play golf.

Drinking is fine by me, as long as you're not belligerent (and I've seen that, unfortunately). I'll usually have one or two and I have my flask in the bag in case the shanks or the 3putts show up.

Drinking is fine by me, as long as you're not belligerent (and I've seen that, unfortunately). I'll usually have one or two and I have my flask in the bag in case the shanks or the 3putts show up.

Definitely gotta remember the emergency stash.

Back