Driver Fitting Tomorrow

Murray

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm quite excited. I've had an iron fitting as well as a putter fitting but I am thinking this could be the most interesting one so far. What have others experiences been like with a driver fitting? Currently hitting a Cobra s91 pro but have been finding it hard work recently, and after hitting a Nike Machspeed and Callaway Octane and really liking them I figured a change might be needed - more importantly, a correct change.

just listen and be open minded.....if the fitter is good he won't try to sell you anything, just recommend what works for you and your game

I'm quite excited. I've had an iron fitting as well as a putter fitting but I am thinking this could be the most interesting one so far. What have others experiences been like with a driver fitting? Currently hitting a Cobra s91 pro but have been finding it hard work recently, and after hitting a Nike Machspeed and Callaway Octane and really liking them I figured a change might be needed - more importantly, a correct change.

Good luck. Please keep us posted on your experience!

I actually just got fitted last week. My best advice to you is to keep an open mind and trust the fitter and the launch monitor. I told myself the same thing, but being on this site as well as being an equipment junkie, I did have some mental notes prepared and a few preconceived notions about different manufacturers. I did my best to leave those at the door and was blown away by a driver (and a 3 wood) that wasn't even on my radar in a serious way.

Only other thing I can say is long is great, but consistency is king. Find the best fit for your game and go with the equipment that consistently puts you in the best position. I got lucky with my driver, as it was both the longest and the straightest for me. However, I was bombing the cleveland FWs, but spraying them on about half of the shots. Picked up the Cobra and hit every single one dead straight, just 5-10 yards shorter. Guess which one I chose...

Have fun! My driver fitting was a lot more fun for me than the iron fitting, which was a blast as well.

After reading a couple of related posts yesterday I suggest taking a couple of sleeves of your preferred ball if you will be fit indoors. There was a question about launch and spin rates if the ball is changed. If I go for a fitting I will take several of my favorite balls and use them on the monitor.

agreed with above. Have an open mind and be willing to listen to the fitter (if they know what they are talking about). I was fit for a driver in June and I have always had a Titleist driver, but with the shaft and head combo I had I was generating right at 7,000 RPM which is AWFUL!! But when he suggested a Callaway FT Tour with the proper shaft, he had me down to 2,400 - 2,600. The shaft is what makes the difference. Also, a proper fitting gave me a much lower, more boring trajectory. It will be a real eye-opening experience. ONE TIP: don't hit a bucket of balls to get loose before your fitting. You will be hitting a lot of drivers....save your energy.

At the 2011 Outing, the time spent on the launch monitor with Hawk and JB trying to find me the perfect driver was very valuable. Okay not as valuable as watching some old guy eating a bottle of bacon bits in record time. Experimenting with higher lofts and different shaft flexes had a drastic effect on the distance and accuracy on the weakest club in my bag - my driver. 12 degrees? are you kidding me? If Tara at the ibar knew I was hitting a 12 degree driver it would have ruined everything I had going for me.

A few weeks ago I did another fitting with launch monitors outside. The fitting results were consistent with the results from the outing. Looking forward to getting a new driver. I will make sure my headcover says 9 degrees.

So, before the fitting I had been gaming a Cobra S9-1 Pro, Stiff shaft, 9.5 degree...

After the fitting I will now be gaming a Cleveland SL 290, Reg shaft. 10.5!

So, before the fitting I had been gaming a Cobra S9-1 Pro, Stiff shaft, 9.5 degree...

After the fitting I will now be gaming a Cleveland SL 290, Reg shaft. 10.5!

Good stuff! Congrats! The Cleveland series is definitely legit this year, and your getting a freaking sweet shaft too!

That's a REAL good driver. Enjoy it!

I tried the Cobra ZL, Callaway Octane, Taylormade R11 (hated it), Nike Machspeed black, K15 and the Cleveland. The carry on the Cleveland was 10 yards more than second place, plus the most consistent. Was sure I would be walking out with the Octane or Nike before the fitting. Was really interesting

Congrats on the new stick Murray! I hit that exact driver with a stiff shaft and it was a beast. Enjoy it!

Awesome man! Time to change your signature!

Congrats on the new stick Murray! I hit that exact driver with a stiff shaft and it was a beast. Enjoy it!

I was surprised about the reg shaft but the guy said it had a tour head which mixed well with the shaft. either way it was by far the best performer. looking forward to seeing it on the course now :)

I was surprised about the reg shaft but the guy said it had a tour head which mixed well with the shaft. either way it was by far the best performer. looking forward to seeing it on the course now :)

Whatever works best for you man! I'm ready to see how it goes for ya!

I tried the Cobra ZL, Callaway Octane, Taylormade R11 (hated it), Nike Machspeed black, K15 and the Cleveland. The carry on the Cleveland was 10 yards more than second place, plus the most consistent. Was sure I would be walking out with the Octane or Nike before the fitting. Was really interesting

It's funny how things don't always work out the way you expect when you have an open mind. I've had myself sold on things weeks before I hit them to find out they completely suck for me.

It's funny how things don't always work out the way you expect when you have an open mind. I've had myself sold on things weeks before I hit them to find out they completely suck for me.
That happens to me a lot too.

It was down to the Nike and the Cleveland, and so hit 5 balls with each to finally decide. I wanted the Nike to win as it was the one I had been reading about for a while and had originally liked a lot. But the Cleveland out performed it and I just said 'sold'. I'm getter wiser with golf equipment now :)

I still want that driver, but I just can't give mine up. That C Kua 43 is such a good shaft for my swing. If you don't want to spend more money, DO NOT hit the fairway woods. Same shaft and they are looooong.

JB said earlier that he has a radio show coming that has something to do with the Cleveland woods.

I still want that driver, but I just can't give mine up. That C Kua 43 is such a good shaft for my swing. If you don't want to spend more money, DO NOT hit the fairway woods. Same shaft and they are looooong.

JB said earlier that he has a radio show coming that has something to do with the Cleveland woods.

Ha, I bet! However, I love my 3 and 5 wood so will keep those for a while.

I've liked Cleveland for a while now, but they seem to have really stepped up a level recently.

Ha, I bet! However, I love my 3 and 5 wood so will keep those for a while.

I've liked Cleveland for a while now, but they seem to have really stepped up a level recently.

Working with Miyazaki has really done great things for them imo. Hopefully they can build on it. I'd love to see a driver line with the Miyazaki Kusala.

Sounds like a winner to me. I was surprised at my results with the stiff shafted ultra-light stuff as well. I have reg flex irons and have been gaming a reg flex driver for years. Just goes to show that fitting equipment to your swing is the way to go.

PS - If you do change your mind and go for FWs, Hawk is right on, the Clevelands are super long!

Yeah, all of my gear have stiff shafts, but the Cleveland was so superior to the rest - would have been stupid not to go for it. Just goes to show how important a fitting is

It's funny you guys are saying that. Yesterday, I took a co-worker to the range and he has a faster swing speed than I do. He wanted to hit my SuperTri and I was fine with it, but I told him it probably wouldn't work for him because the shaft is quite tip soft and an R flex. He was bombing it over and over and his accuracy compared to his other driver was off the charts. It was pretty surprising.

It's funny you guys are saying that. Yesterday, I took a co-worker to the range and he has a faster swing speed than I do. He wanted to hit my SuperTri and I was fine with it, but I told him it probably wouldn't work for him because the shaft is quite tip soft and an R flex. He was bombing it over and over and his accuracy compared to his other driver was off the charts. It was pretty surprising.

did he have a fitting for his current driver?

Back