Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Never give up an inch - I’m hitting bombs like Phil

Votes: 21 21.2%

• Total voters

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Simple question - what is the maximum amount of distance you would give up with your driver to double your FIR%?

(yes, I know - you can have both but I’m curious)

I need the FIR. 10-20 yards was an easy choice.

NEVER!!!

I want max distance with driver. If I need accuracy, I’m hitting 3w or 5w :cool:

I’d give up whatever to hit every fairway

Simple question - what is the maximum amount of distance you would give up with your driver to double your FIR%?

(yes, I know - you can have both but I’m curious)

Are we just hitting fairway or actually gettable position A let’s get at the green?

I’ve played a few rounds where I was 10-12 fairways hit but for 6 of them of was just on the fairway with 300 yards out 😂

I tried to think about this a few ways, but the answer is just no. I'd trade a little more distance for less fairways, not the other way around.

If I need accuracy, I’ll use my 4 wood....hittin bombs baby!

Not an inch, I have lots of clubs in the bag to get creative with for the 2nd shot.

i said 10. lately my best strikes have been around 260 carry 290 total per trackman. i don’t want to dip below 250 carry.

I’m seeing this as a great divide! The two highest answers are none followed by 10-20 yards. fascinating. Maybe it is the difference of courses that are tight/ tree lined and those that are a bit more open?

I am not the best person for this survey. I said 5 yards as I am already pretty accurate with the driver. I have rounds when I hit 75% of fairways. I am not very long though so giving up 10 yards for a relatively small gain doesn’t make a ton of sense. If I was below 50% and having penalty strokes I would say 10 yards easily.

I chose 10. I need accuracy more than anything right now, but there's a point where the lack of distance would add as many strokes as the penalties do now.

Unfortunately, there's little correlation in my game between distance and accuracy. If that were the case, I'd simply pull less club or swing easier with the driver.

I said 10 yards. I’ve experimented a little with a shorter shaft and it was actually worse for me. Hmmm, maybe I need to go longer. :ROFLMAO:

I won't give up yards as I am a short knocker already. I hit plenty of FIR now so I'm good.

I'm a shorter hitter too and time isn't on my side. I can always club down when penal trouble dictates it, but I need more yards, not less.

Having worked through exactly this over the past season, I can say I was okay giving up 10 yards. And it definitely helped my overall scores. When you're not hitting a recovery shot, or a provisional off the tee, it's just simple math.

I said 5 yards because that's what I gave up, when I was fitted for this driver, to double my consistency as measured by TopTracer.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to give up 10yds and double my FIR hit.

Driver has long been the worst club in my bag. It's been so bad, that I have basically given up using one and generally just use a 3w. I gave up maybe 20 yards, but have been able to keep it in play with much more frequency. So to answer the poll, I'd easily give up 20-25 yards to hit more fairways.

I went 10-20 yards because (warning humblebrag incoming) I'm a fairly long hitter. My thinking is, when I miss I tend to miss big and take a penalty. If I'm now eliminating multiple penalties per round and still have a short iron on approach that's a trade I'm making every day. However, if you tell me I'm playing a course where that 10-20 yards lost puts a 4 or 5 iron in my hand I'd have to think twice given my (worse than normal) inconsistencies with those irons.

If I can get 250 out of a drive I think I'm doing pretty good. I'll punch out of the trees with a 4 iron. Plus, if I double my FIR I'm going to bet I'm still in the 50-60% ratio.

I voted 10-20 because based on a few things I do think I gave up around 10-15yds this year to hit more fairways...I think 🤔 purely based on a couple swings with non gamer clubs so I could be completely off.

I still get it out there pretty good and fairways hit according to Arccos finished this season at 49% which is pretty impressive...for me

Back