Driving Distance Averages 1980 and 2012 - Tom Kite

asca2

Reaction score
Handicap
No one else might find this interesting, but I was comparing driving distance averages in 1980 and 2012, and obviously the top drivers (Dan Pohl in 1980 and Bubba in 2012) were 40 yards apart. But what was most interesting to me was Tom Kite's numbers. In 1980, when he was 30 years old, his average driving distance was 252 yards. In 2012, now 62 and on the Champions Tour, his average driving distance is 267 yards. It still amazes me just how much equipment and balls have changed the game in the last 10-20 years.

That's a pretty cool stat....32 years later and he is actually 15 yards longer than he was in his prime!

That's a pretty cool stat....32 years later and he is actually 15 yards longer than he was in his prime!

steel+wood to graphite+titanium... it's all the equipment.. i'm sure his swing has gotten a bit better over time, but not enough to give 15 yards consistantly...

While I don't discount the equipment listen to the Senior Tour interviews. At some point they mention how fit they are compared to "in the day". I just think it is a combination of equipment and fitness.

FWIW

That's really interesting. I can only imagine in 1980 that they thought that their equipment was as good as it gets. I wonder what things will look like in 2042.

That's really interesting. I can only imagine in 1980 that they thought that their equipment was as good as it gets. I wonder what things will look like in 2042.

And what regulations the USGA/RA will have in place to govern the new technology (COR, groove shape, etc)

Don't forget, the balls are longer, too. I think if you factor in the yardage inflation created by equipment changes, Kite is probably hitting the ball shorter than he was in 1980.

I am 47, and I am currently hitting drives longer than I ever have in my life. Back in the '80s, I thought a 225 yard drive was pretty good.

No one else might find this interesting, but I was comparing driving distance averages in 1980 and 2012, and obviously the top drivers (Dan Pohl in 1980 and Bubba in 2012) were 40 yards apart. But what was most interesting to me was Tom Kite's numbers. In 1980, when he was 30 years old, his average driving distance was 252 yards. In 2012, now 62 and on the Champions Tour, his average driving distance is 267 yards. It still amazes me just how much equipment and balls have changed the game in the last 10-20 years.

And that is exactly why we are seeing all these rounds shot in the 50's on tour now. I swear, it's completely destroyed the game.:eyepoke:

That's pretty crazy. Equipment is awesome.

Was playing a pair of retirees in Men's night and they mentioned this. They pointed out spots that used to be big drives 35 years ago, and mentioned they now routinely hit it past that. I can only hope that holds true for me in the future...even if the kids are hitting 350 and the holes are all 100y longer.

The USGA will always allow for equipment progress. They will keep it in check of course but they will never say to Taylormade, Titleist etc. "OK, no more development and technology" because they will lose the huge sponsorship dollars. I guess a day will come when the technology outgrows the courses everywhere.

I don't know how much further the equipment can be pushed, particularly with the USGA trying to stay out in front and add restrictions. Now, I'm not about to sit here and say we have already reached the threshhold of equipment capabtility, but we will eventually reach a point of diminishing returns, where the equipment companies have to expend enormous amounts of research dollars just to squeeze 1 or 2 more yards out of a driver. I don't know where that point is, but I doubt that 350 yard drives will ever become ordinary.

OTOH, we could face another quantum leap in materials or design, such as the graphite shafts and maximum COR driver heads....

wonder what Ernie thinks of this stat

The USGA will always allow for equipment progress. They will keep it in check of course but they will never say to Taylormade, Titleist etc. "OK, no more development and technology" because they will lose the huge sponsorship dollars. I guess a day will come when the technology outgrows the courses everywhere.

Didn't they do that by "outlawing" square groove technology?
Haven't they done that by limiting the COR of .83 instead of the theoretical maximum of .9?

Both of those seem pretty strong indications that the USGA is blocking equipment progress

And that is exactly why we are seeing all these rounds shot in the 50's on tour now. I swear, it's completely destroyed the game.:eyepoke:

yeah, I agree. I think one of the most unfortunate side effects of all these equipment changes is that it has widened the gap between the professionals and amateurs. It might just be me, but I love when I hear that a professional can't reach a par 5 in two. I feel like "hey he is just like me." But then, on a 600 yard par 5, I see Bubba and Dustin Johnson hitting a 5 iron over the green with their second shot, which of course leads to a 670 yard par 5 at the US Open this year.

I believe we are starting to see a change in the technology and marketing of golf clubs. Seemd to me the tech is gonna shift from distance to more game correction by adjustable features. Soon they'll have clubs that have settings for long and straight, long w/ draw, long w/ fade for every swing you make or self correcting golf balls lol.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

I believe we are starting to see a change in the technology and marketing of golf clubs. Seemd to me the tech is gonna shift from distance to more game correction by adjustable features. Soon they'll have clubs that have settings for long and straight, long w/ draw, long w/ fade for every swing you make or self correcting golf balls lol.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

They are called Polara's, and they actually do work!

Distance is still the ephasis. Strong lofted irons, and the 17 more yards* 3woods make that very clear.

it'll be interesting to see what the designers and engineers come up with over the next decade to maneuver around the rules

yeah, I agree. I think one of the most unfortunate side effects of all these equipment changes is that it has widened the gap between the professionals and amateurs. It might just be me, but I love when I hear that a professional can't reach a par 5 in two. I feel like "hey he is just like me." But then, on a 600 yard par 5, I see Bubba and Dustin Johnson hitting a 5 iron over the green with their second shot, which of course leads to a 670 yard par 5 at the US Open this year.

Yep ...... 25 years ago I was a fairly good scratch golfer. I used to go to Memphis and really enjoyed watching because a lot of the pros hit the same shots and used the same irons I did. Obviously they were better but I could compare abilities with them. Now I take my team and even the best golfers I have can't even begin to relate to them. It takes an extraordinary player now to see their game in the pros. To me that takes something out of the game.....

hackin

I can remember playing courses as a kid and in college that were LOOOOOoooong! Now I play them and they've shrunk considerably. I don't think the distance that your normal person can hit it these days is a good thing.

That's pretty cool about Tom Kite. I think you guys are missing the broader point about Tom Kite though. Back in 1980, Tom Kite wore the most-awesome hipster glasses EVER! While Tom looked fabulous and would be the greatest hipster ever in today's generation (along with Steve Urkel), those glasses were not the best for the golf swing. The weight of those glasses likely impeded his shoulder turn and, most definitely, threw off his balance in the transition. It is no coincidence that his driving distance increased as he began to golf with different-- or no -- glasses.

images

openkite.jpg

That's pretty cool about Tom Kite. I think you guys are missing the broader point about Tom Kite though. Back in 1980, Tom Kite wore the most-awesome hipster glasses EVER! While Tom looked fabulous and would be the greatest hipster ever in today's generation (along with Steve Urkel), those glasses were not the best for the golf swing. The weight of those glasses likely impeded his shoulder turn and, most definitely, threw off his balance in the transition. It is no coincidence that his driving distance increased as he began to golf with different-- or no -- glasses.

images

openkite.jpg

What does Kite regret more? Wearing those glasses or passing on the sunscreen for too many years.

That's really exciting. I can only think about in 1980 that they believed that their devices was as excellent as it gets. I wonder what factors will look like in 2042...

Memphis Fitness Center

Last edited:
Half a yard every year, not bad!

If he used the RBZ driver that 15 yards could have been 17 more yards. :laughing:

Back