Easy to hit hybrid and FW

MacTS

Reaction score
Handicap
hi,

I am newbie to golf (started last summer). I play a set of older Callaways (Older Big Bertha 9 degree driver, X-3 wood, Heaven wood 20 degree hybrid, X-18 irons). I am pretty ok with the driver and irons, but I have lot´s of trouble hitting the hybrid and 3 wood ok. I usually slice it very much ( a problem I do not have with the other clubs)).

So I am thinking of trying to test some hybrids/3-5 woods during the winter and see if I can find anything that I like.

So any tips for easy to hit hybrids and 3-5 woods are very welcome. new or a bit older does not really matter.

I play stiff shaft in the driver and regular in the 3 wood and hybrid, I wonder if that can be part of the problem?

I have found a lot of info by searching the forum, but some more direct info can not hurt:)

Determining the shaft stiffness you need is really best suited for a fitting but we can make an educated guess depending on your driver swing speed.

You will hear a ton of different feedback on recommendations as we all prefer different styles, turf interaction, etc. With that said, I would check out the Cobra Baffler or Baffler XL line. Easy to hit and can be found VERY cheap on eBay, etc (or some other auction site local to Sweden if applicable).

Good luck!

The Callaway Big Bertha line of hybrids is tremendously easy to hit, super forgiving (not all hybrids have cupped faces) and fully adjustable. While I like a lot of hybrids on the market from numerous companies, when it comes to the easiest to hit (meaning most forgiving to me), my opinion is the Big Bertha is right up there.

Cleveland Mashie+ and Cleveland Classic hybrids are very easy to hit and can be found very cheap on ebay or elsewhere. They are a few years old but I still game them. I haven't found any newer hybrids that perform that much better (for me) in relation to cost.

I haven't hit the mashie fairways but have heard good things about them. I can say the Bertha fairways are pretty easy to hit and I had an old Cleveland HiBore XLS that was very easy to hit, it just ballooned for me. You could probably find one very very cheap if you just want to dabble.

I'll echo #Cookie, the Cobra Baffler hybrids are great. I am traditionally a slicer/chunker with longer irons and my Baffler 4h is just so easy to hit. For fairways, the Ping G30 3w lofted up for me is without a doubt the easiest fairway I've hit both off the tee and off the deck.

I am not much of a hybrid guy but do love fairway woods. The Callaway V Series woods are super easy to hit from both the tee and deck.

Determining the shaft stiffness you need is really best suited for a fitting but we can make an educated guess depending on your driver swing speed.

You will hear a ton of different feedback on recommendations as we all prefer different styles, turf interaction, etc. With that said, I would check out the Cobra Baffler or Baffler XL line. Easy to hit and can be found VERY cheap on eBay, etc (or some other auction site local to Sweden if applicable).

Good luck!

Thanks, I do not know my swing speed, but according to the guy (not instructor) owning the simulator I go to during the winter, according to the stats from the software, I am right to play with stiff shaft for my driver.

Thanks for the tips guys! I will see what clubs I can demo during the winter and if i can get some used clubs for cheap as well to test.

hybrids the bafflers/xl from cobra are easy, Cleveland Mashie and most any hybrid from Cleveland, agree with JB last years BB are really easy to hit and pretty forgiving. for fwy i would say G30, anything from Cleveland, from what has been reported the Heavenwood, BioCell/BioCell+.

2012 Mashie (also known as Mashie+)
Callaway XHot

Both silly easy to hit from the turf and should help you with that slice a little.

I would be privy to say the J40 line of hybrids and FW's are very easy to hit. Especially the 4W, launches high and just goes and goes distance wise. As far as there hybrids, this year was the first time I've gamed one and was very impressed.

I'm a big fan of the Callaway x2hot line of hybrids. I'm a high handicapper that struggles with a slice and have found these very forgiving and easy to hit from the rough or the short stuff. Ball flight is nice and when struck well will give a nice trajectory that causes the ball to bounce and check on the green. My old Taylormade rbz stage 2 hybrid had nice distance but I had trouble getting it high enough to land softly, most of the time they were lasers that would skip right off the green.

I was just in the market for new easy to hit hybrids myself. The three that I found easiest to hit were the Cleveland 588, Mizuno JPX EZ, and the new Adams Tight Lies. I opted for the Adams but all three were super easy to hit and I didn't have a slice with these like I do with most other hybrids.

Try to hit them like an iron (i.e. hit down on them with a little forward shaft lean and take a divot). This has worked well for me with both hybrids and fairway woods.

Callaway X-Hot and X2-Hot are both really easy to hit woods & hybrids.

My biggest reminder for swinging long clubs where I'm still interacting with the turf is to swing through and release the club. The combination of swinging down and taking a divot with long clubs makes me tense my hands and keep the face open through impact, which leads to pushes and slices. Definitely something I'm still working on.

I just hit the Aeroburner hybrid yesterday and it's a very close second to my bio cell hybrid. It might even kick it out of the bag. The Xhot line is always a safe bet as well.

For fairways, I like the Bio Cell again, but also really like the Nike Covert 2.0 and the Tour Edge XCGs. Also give the Ping G30 fairways a swing. They're very very forgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best bang for your buck? Look for the Mashie Fairways and hybrids(Mashie+). Can find them relatively cheap now and they are super easy to hit.

I actually just purchased my first hybrid. After hitting several within my price range, I settled on the Bio Cell 3/4 hybrid with adjustable loft. I got to hit it finally on the course this weekend and I could not be happier. Really easy to hit (will echo previous posts saying treat it like an iron) but the ball explodes off the face and flies so true. As someone who also struggled with distance and clean hits with the longer irons, this hybrid was a great purchase. Good luck!

If you are like me and don't have options nearby to go try out clubs, the Cleveland 588 line of FW's and hybrids are really good IMO and can be found pretty cheap

Tour edge exotics trilogy hybrids. Stupid esy to hit

I have had great success with the Callaway Xhot FW and the Wilson Staff D100 3 hybrid. Their stock shafts are a good fit for me, I have no trouble getting the ball in the air, and they usually go somewhere around where I want them to go (with a good swing).

I'll echo the sentiment of a few others. For hybrids I am really getting along well with my Big Bertha, it is just stupid easy to hit and has a nice high trajectory.

In the same vein is the V Series fairway woods. They have a slight draw bias and help launch the ball high. I'm playing the 5w & 3w and could not be happier, high draws off all lies.

Many thanks for all the suggestions! Very much appreciated!

Have anyone hit Adams pro gold hybrid or TM R11 FW? I have found these used in my hometown for very cheap. I know these are older clubs, but hopefully they can still be good

Both solid pieces of equipment. Neither of them are all that forgiving.

Back