Nurse in New Jersey is getting ready to sue for being forced into quarentine.

I believe there's even precedent in this case. (Typhoid Mary)

She'll likely win.

Nurse in New Jersey is getting ready to sue for being forced into quarentine.

I believe there's even precedent in this case. (Typhoid Mary)

She'll likely win.

She'll never get a cent.

I don't think it is so clear that she'll win at all. I don't know what the law is but the public good has to trump private interests in situation like these. Also, Typhoid Mary is a very different circumstance and not necessarily a precedence here (21 day vs multiple years of being quarantined).

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

She's crazy and I find her behavior to be pretty irresponsible for a medical professional, it's not about her. Why can't someone in our Government stand up and loudly say that if you volunteer to go and help ebola victims, you will be quarantined for a mandatory 21 day review period!!!! She needs to get the eff over herself.

She's crazy and I find her behavior to be pretty irresponsible for a medical professional, it's not about her. Why can't someone in our Government stand up and loudly say that if you volunteer to go and help ebola victims, you will be quarantined for a mandatory 21 day review period!!!! She needs to get the eff over herself.

I love your frankness on these topics, and you are right on.

Yeah, the whole situation makes me want to pimp slap Bill de Blasio. He's going to eventually make New Yorkers regret ever electing him.

The biggest issue here is whether or not it is constitutionally legal to "imprision" a US Citizen without their consent for a non criminal incident.

The biggest issue here is whether or not it is constitutionally legal to "imprision" a US Citizen without their consent for a non criminal incident.
Yes, it is. Each state has quarantine and isolation laws to protect the general populace.

Yes, it is. Each state has quarantine and isolation laws to protect the general populace.
I did not know that. That doesn't mean there isn't still a constitutional argument to be made.

Right, I have taken In more than one person against their will for medical treatment. This is definitely not a new concept.

It'll be interesting, in this day and age though, I don't see her not getting something. To many bleeding hearts that can't see the whole picture.

Add in the fact that she's a woman, which will be brought up just like how Duncan was black.

It'll be interesting.

I'm sure there's a solid defense for that argument Joe no doubt but as a medical professional she should know the risks involved if she becomes symptomatic, she had a decent fever and they made the decision to quarantine her based on her fever and other symptoms having come back from helping ebola victims. I think it was justifiable with the potential severity of the situation and the risks involved.

Agreed. We let the government trample all over us in various ways (e.g., forcing people to buy health insurance), but we don't have the right to quarantine someone for 21 days to prevent them walking around on the subway with Ebola? As usual, everything is out of whack here.

One of the things I don't see mentioned here is that both the CDC and NIAID are not in favor of mandatory quarantine. That's enough for me to understand the decision. These folks have spent a LOT of time understanding and modeling disease spread.

One of the things I don't see mentioned here is that both the CDC and NIAID are not in favor of mandatory quarantine. That's enough for me to understand the decision. These folks have spent a LOT of time understanding and modeling disease spread.
I question their reasoning. They've already commented about how suspending non-essential flights would affect the African nations economies and that they believe forcing quarantine upon returning healthcare workers would dissuade others from volunteering.

Perhaps they're right in their assessment but those statements alone lead me to question if there is any motive behind their stated recommendations. I would prefer the CDC to strictly limit their recommendations based on the safety of the American public, period.

I question their reasoning. They've already commented about how suspending non-essential flights would affect the African nations economies and that they believe forcing quarantine upon returning healthcare workers would dissuade others from volunteering.

Perhaps they're right in their assessment but those statements alone lead me to question if there is any motive behind their stated recommendations. I would prefer the CDC to strictly limit their recommendations based on the safety of the American public, period.

And according to the CDC, the best way to protect the American people is to fight the disease where it is at its worst.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With that said, if you are a health care worker, you should understand the risks and accept voluntary quarantine. News has it that this nurse Kaci Wilcox (spelling may be off) is refusing to submit to her mandatory quarantine. I think that should be a violation of the law, or a revoking of her license to serve as an RN.

With that said, if you are a health care worker, you should understand the risks and accept voluntary quarantine. News has it that this nurse Kaci Wilcox (spelling may be off) is refusing to submit to her mandatory quarantine. I think that should be a violation of the law, or a revoking of her license to serve as an RN.

This frustrates me. Why is quarantine so hard to swallow? The government is actually reimbursing lost wages and expenses during the quarantine so there is no financial burden.

Reimbursement right away, or when? Knowing our government that may be more of a hassle then it is worth.

In an instance like Ebola, where it is so hard to spread, mandatory quarantine doesn't make much sense.

Neither does stopping flights from Africa, since there are no direct flights from Africa to America.

Still, people should evoke what little common sense they might have and wait 21 days if there's a possibility they've been exposed.

Reimbursement right away, or when? Knowing our government that may be more of a hassle then it is worth.

In an instance like Ebola, where it is so hard to spread, mandatory quarantine doesn't make much sense.

Neither does stopping flights from Africa, since there are no direct flights from Africa to America.

Still, people should evoke what little common sense they might have and wait 21 days if there's a possibility they've been exposed.
Okay but we consider it hard to transmit because we have a sense of confidence in our controls, medical system and our culture. Those things don't exist in Africa, which means it is much easier to unwittingly contract the disease in those nations. We have seen over and over that medical personnel are not following the rules (reports indicate the NYC doctor lied).

In other news a State Dept memo about transporting Ebola patients to the US was made public yesterday.

Why is quarantine so hard to swallow?
It shouldn't be for health professionals. This woman wants her 15 minutes of fame. I hope she spends it behind bars, or looking for a new profession.

16121_725656087524618_6302162372898201926_n.jpg

Okay but we consider it hard to transmit because we have a sense of confidence in our controls, medical system and our culture. Those things don't exist in Africa, which means it is much easier to unwittingly contract the disease in those nations. We have seen over and over that medical personnel are not following the rules (reports indicate the NYC doctor lied).

In other news a State Dept memo about transporting Ebola patients to the US was made public yesterday.
We consider it hard to transmit because of the way it transmits.

Through bodily fluids like vomit, blood, and fecal matter.

Which is not something that is common in everyday life.

And not generally through stuff like Saliva, which would be a much greater concern then the others, but Ebola hasn't shown that it cultures there very often.

The country it happens in doesn't change how it transmits.

Ebola

The facts belie the science. Thousands of people are dying from the disease in Africa. It is getting transmitted, and it appears to be happening pretty easily.

Back