Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
When the SMS irons made their debut last year, they certainly turned heads, and the Swing Match System proved to be a legitimate technological advancement in terms of fitting. However, they weren’t as compact as many expected carrying the Edel name on them, which had everything to do with their hollow design. As it turns out, Edel meant the SMS irons as a one-two punch all along, as the saying goes, all good things to those who wait.

Continue reading...

Very nice looking club head. Looks like a pure blade

Sure would like to try these. The feel has to be exquisite 🔥

Really a solid, comprehensive article there. I do hope to swing something from Edel this year, though I'd probably lean less towards the Pro irons. Looks-wise, they really are incredible though. Think they may win a spot in the bag, @Jman ?

• Staff
Really a solid, comprehensive article there. I do hope to swing something from Edel this year, though I'd probably lean less towards the Pro irons. Looks-wise, they really are incredible though. Think they may win a spot in the bag, @Jman ?
Thank you good sir!

I think I need to build them out differently shaft wise and see. Considering another set of rapid tapers, but they’re going to get something different and a shot at the bay for sure.

The pros look really good in hand and feel really good as well. I think one of the neatest things about Edel irons besides the weights in the head, is how the shafts get swapped out for a fitting. Not sure if it’s been discussed before but it was the first time I saw it the other day. The shafts actually screw into the fitting head, there isn’t a screw that needs tightened with a wrench which I’ve wondered why companies haven’t done this before. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

• Staff
Sure would like to try these. The feel has to be exquisite 🔥
It is. Remind me on my Miura CB57’s, which is high praise from me as I’ve long thought those were the best feeling irons I’ve ever reviewed or played.

Let’s try to link up this summer and you can give the SMS a go if you’d like

The pros look really good in hand and feel really good as well. I think one of the neatest things about Edel irons besides the weights in the head, is how the shafts get swapped out for a fitting. Not sure if it’s been discussed before but it was the first time I saw it the other day. The shafts actually screw into the fitting head, there isn’t a screw that needs tightened with a wrench which I’ve wondered why companies haven’t done this before. Wish I had taken a picture of it.
I just now realized that. I’ll try to ask @EdelBlake in a few weeks the thoughts on the why behind it.

@Jman - Did you get a first swing “this is it” experience or was it more a combination of feel and the performance for you when comparing the middle to the heel port for you?

I just now realized that. I’ll try to ask @EdelBlake in a few weeks the thoughts on the why behind it.
I would think it gives a better representation of actual head weight and CG. When a screw is in a fitting head there is a lot of material that is removed and that little screw isn’t making up the difference.

Well worth the wait on this review. The excitement I have for these is unreal and I cannot wait to play around with the SMS configuration to find the combo that works for me.

@Jman did you find that the weighting setup was the same throughout your set, or were there some irons that had a different SMS config?

What effect do you think heavier weights would have on your ball flight? Traditional weighting is 2-8-2 but I’m curious to know if a 4-10-4 setup would change things dramatically.

I can bring my SMS irons to San Antonio and you can hit them @Hawk. I'll be driving over so space won't be an issue bringing an extra set.

Nice write up @Jman I would love to hit these and compare them to the regular SMS irons.

Great write up. The pros look so good. I was a little surprised with your spin pattern on you wedges. On the original SMS irons most times spin increased as weight was moved from heel toward toe. Great numbers glad you like them
So well.

Last edited:
Great write-up @Jman. I’m very excited to give these a try. This will be my first run with a players iron, and I don’t think I could ask for a better option to go with.

After seeing these in hand last week, I will be taking a trip over to their HQ. I'm not a fan of another OEM that has ports all around the back, but these are different. A purpose is there and it shows in the numbers and looks really good to my eye too.

Just the described feeling of a shot with moving the SMS around is tantalizing.

Your numbers in the review on deviation alone show how moving the SMS around just works.

Great article @Jman and with all that you have going on, impressive!

Well worth the wait on this review. The excitement I have for these is unreal and I cannot wait to play around with the SMS configuration to find the combo that works for me.

@Jman did you find that the weighting setup was the same throughout your set, or were there some irons that had a different SMS config?

What effect do you think heavier weights would have on your ball flight? Traditional weighting is 2-8-2 but I’m curious to know if a 4-10-4 setup would change things dramatically.
For where my swing was, the efficiency jumped with heavy in the heel through the set, a notable jump actually.

I’d keep in mind the impact that heavier could make on swing weight and total weight, could help, could hinder. That’s definitely a get fit thing

@Jman -do you have any data on how these performed versus the standard SMS and/or your regular gamers?
No data, I don’t like to compare like that for reviews, imo it’s not fair to anyone.

That said, they’re in line with my T100S in most aspects other than shaft fit.

Nice write up @Jman I would love to hit these and compare them to the regular SMS irons.
I still believe with my whole heart the SMS will fit far more amateurs than the pros. But those who can play these ball striking wise, will love them.

Great write-up @Jman. I’m very excited to give these a try. This will be my first run with a players iron, and I don’t think I could ask for a better option to go with.
If you want tiny, you got it. Haha

After seeing these in hand last week, I will be taking a trip over to their HQ. I'm not a fan of another OEM that has ports all around the back, but these are different. A purpose is there and it shows in the numbers and looks really good to my eye too.

Just the described feeling of a shot with moving the SMS around is tantalizing.

Your numbers in the review on deviation alone show how moving the SMS around just works.

Great article @Jman and with all that you have going on, impressive!
They’ll remind you of CMB’s, but better. 👀

• Love
Reactions: J4U
Great review @Jman . Didn't think I could be more excited to hit these but now I am.

Back