Edwin Watts Files Bankruptcy

How quick will they get started on the liquidation sales? Think they'll have them underway before Christmas or wait until the new year?

May go pick some apparel once the sales start.

I got a random email from them tonight for a store in once visited saying tomorrow everything was between 10-30 percent off.

KG

Just Tapping Away

Did any of you fellas check out the "sales"? I was curious as to the deals, if any. Knowing that the liquidator, Hilco, basically purchased that inventory at about 98% of cost from Edwin Watts, given the margins, one would assume that they are not going to provide any deeper sales than you would otherwise see from a normal retailer.

Did any of you fellas check out the "sales"? I was curious as to the deals, if any. Knowing that the liquidator, Hilco, basically purchased that inventory at about 98% of cost from Edwin Watts, given the margins, one would assume that they are not going to provide any deeper sales than you would otherwise see from a normal retailer.

My local EW here in SC has 10% off most of the good stuff, ie Clubs, Bags, Shoes ect. And 20-30% off things like grips and tees and gloves ect.

Not enough to buy yet, plus they looked like they put stuff back to full MSRP when it was below just a week prior.

any sales on aftermarket shafts?

Can't say I'm too terribly upset about the Greenville, SC store closing. All but one older gentleman that worked in there were buttholes. No service at all and everytime I went in there I saw the same thing as far as the salesmen being jerks except for that one older guy, I sure hope the new Golfsmith hires that one gentleman should he decide to stay in the work place but can't say I say the same for the other jerks. I really feel bad for the guys and gals who actually cared for their customers and their work that are losing their jobs though and hope they can find jobs asap.

I went in this weekend and the price on every single item I looked at was what you'd see on most any retailer's site anywhere else. The only sale is the amount of % off you get. Clubs were 20%. Balls were 15%. Clothing was 30%. The guy that I know a bit up there told me right around mid January, those numbers will increase, possibly to 40% for clubs, but really based on whether they're moving any product or not.

But everything was full retail to start. Oh, I picked up a bunch of Dri-Tac grips for 30% off before they were gone. Great deal there.

edit to add: Looking back, I realize that, at the Macon store, there was a PILE of TM stuff (couple dozen or more woods) still left. Also, a giant selection of wedges, mostly Titleists and RTX. I scurried over to the Callaway side of the display and was disheartened that it had been well picked over by my arrival. There must have been 15 Covert drivers right next to that but all the good 'Chevron' stuff was gone. Whatever was still remaining is almost all Reg or Senior flex, anyway.

Last edited:
This sucks during the holidays. My buddy is going into insurance after being with them for 15yrs.

Having worked for Worldwide Golf Shops previously (Vans) I would encourage those who still have jobs to find another employer. They have no loyalty and treat employees like dirt.

I went by the store near my house. They are now advertising 20-40% off. They have a LOT of clubs still in stock. It's worth noting that while a lot of the clubs are at least 20% off, they have marked older models back up to their original retail price, then applying the 20% discount. This is not on everything, but I noticed it on a few items. The only balls left on the shelves were either X-Out Pro V1s, Srixon, and colored Bridgestone for the most part.

I went by the store near my house. They are now advertising 20-40% off. They have a LOT of clubs still in stock. It's worth noting that while a lot of the clubs are at least 20% off, they have marked older models back up to their original retail price, then applying the 20% discount. This is not on everything, but I noticed it on a few items. The only balls left on the shelves were either X-Out Pro V1s, Srixon, and colored Bridgestone for the most part.

Yes, this. I was disappointed in that tactic. Informed consumers (THP!) know better. The liquidator is just trying to milk it for what they can.

Standard practice for all retail liquidation a regardless of type of merchandise.

Have been to two Jacksonville locations recently, one today and the beach location last weekend. Neither had any unique sales going on. Just the typical retail prices that put them in this mess to begin with.

After plunking down $500.00 for golf lessons at Edwin Watts Golf Academy I was soon to discover that they are OUT OF BUSINESS. I am attempting to contact someone to get my money back. So far I think I lost my money. It is not surprising since Florida is the scammer's capital.

I saw a sign in one of their closing stores recently that said something along the lines of "unfortunately store credit and gift certificates can no longer be honored". I hope that doesn't apply to you, but it might :(

If it helps at all, some of them are remaining open. I actually went into one of those the other day looking for liquidation deals, and they had none. They were just operating as normal - regular prices, no liquidation signs, etc. If any of the stores can help you, it'll be one of those.

After plunking down $500.00 for golf lessons at Edwin Watts Golf Academy I was soon to discover that they are OUT OF BUSINESS. I am attempting to contact someone to get my money back. So far I think I lost my money. It is not surprising since Florida is the scammer's capital.

Capt.dru was in the same situation and they gave him a gift card for the remaining balance.

Contact your credit card company and dispute the charge.

The store manager is supposed to contact you and ask you how many lessons you have left. Then they should pro rate you on the lessons you have left. I ended up getting $400 on a gift card. Also if your last payment was in the past 90 days or so, you are entitled to a cash refund. If you have any questions, let me know.

They told me they were closing something like 40% of their stores. They still plan to be in business... just smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They told me they were closing something like 40% of their stores. They still plan to be in business... just smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earlier in this thread are the list of stores closing and the ones staying open and owned by worldwide golf. That will help anyone that has questions about specific stores.

That's what I just heard from the Tyler asst mgr. he said the stores have been notified who's closing but no one has been told for sure if that's it or if more may close. As of now my store is safe.

Going to get that information cost me $200 bucks though because I was playing on the putting green while we talked and I bought a @&):& seemore. Seriously like I need another putter I just rolled it soooooo good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear the Tyler store is staying open as this is the only place I know in the area to buy balls, etc when I'm in Tyler working and the staff is super friendly. Getting ready for another long trip in Tyler so I'll definitely be stopping in for balls.

Ran into the local store today to kill some time. They have completely reorganized the store sections but still have the same old mentality on club pricing. Their used club bin is full of overpriced older merch. They also had two demoed alphas at $399.

I still go to the shop by my office for shaft pulls and to have clubs bent. Guys in there are great. Scored a couple V Steel fairway woods that were demos back in the day for about $20 a piece and were the best decision I have made equipment wise in a while. Anyone know if more stores are closing? I have 3 within 20 minutes of my office and that seems a bit excessive. The one by my house closed and it was the nicer of the 4 stores I would go to.

Back