EMERGENCY PODCAST: Golf Unfiltered vs Canadan

there are other charts that say on average the Euro tour is longer than the PGA tour, so that must mean the USA based metrics would be even shorter lmao

It's in the conversion from metric to imperial. If they're just start using metres, everyone would be hitting it shorter :cool:

if I just keep saying "wrong" the whole time, do I still win?

I dont think it works that way.
Im genuinely looking forward to this. You two had a good podcasts at the PGA Show, and this should be no different.

Question - if the ball is ultimately effected (which I think is the quickest adjustment that could be put into production without causing everyone to have to buy new sets of clubs) - will this create an underground black market for pre-roll back golf balls?
Yes so stock up now (y) And get ready to make some ?????? on Ebay :unsure:

I wish I had a distance problem. I'm in the average driving it 176 yards. High handicapper here, and I don't think that a miniscule percentage of players being phenomenal players should cause me to be penalized. It's not my fault they hit the ball as far as they do. Set up the courses differently and their long bombs become less effective.

Maybe we can establish a "distance buy back" program to get these dangerous drivers off the streets!
Yeah that will work just as well as the drug and gun programs :rolleyes:

Just like what @Snikerdog said, I think its only on tour that they are complaining. I dont know about the rest of you guys but I know Im not getting 60yrds of roll out on the courses I play. If they played on fairways like the rest of us they wouldnt be hitting 330+ yard drives. I think the best representation of what they are capable of doing was out at the Sony open. From when I was watching very little run out and some just plugged and bounced back, kinda like mine hahaha.

I'm confused how there's two sides here. There's the right side and then everything else.

I'm confused how there's two sides here. There's the right side and then everything else.

Totally agreed! But Dan still wanted to come on the podcast for some reason. :rolleyes:

just use statistics and then you can never be wrong.

haha statistics without context is possibly the most dangerous thing. Stats are like knifes, you don't just go around throwing them. They're a precision tool.

I stole those last two sentences from my uni stats prof.

haha statistics without context is possibly the most dangerous thing. Stats are like knifes, you don't just go around throwing them. They're a precision tool.

I stole those last two sentences from my uni stats prof.

I just remember the phrase. Lies, damn lies, and what??

Coming soon on the Golf Unfiltered Podcast: Adam (@golfunfiltered) and @Canadan will square off on the USGA distance report.

Adam (correct) thinks there is a problem with distance.

Dan (wrong) thinks there isn't.

What topics should be covered? Where do you stand?

Dan's opinion may be skewed because he outdrove me by 125 yards on every hole we played, but I still stand with him anyways.
Distance aint no issue for amateurs. In fact most are shorter than they think they are already...WAY shorter. I rarely even see groups go off the back tees at my home course, let alone overpower them.

This is asinine. Stupid. Ridiculous. The USGA needs to be disbanded, shamed, and sent off to live out their days on a golfless iceberg.

Yeah I side with dan on this. There isn’t a problem with distance.

Dan's opinion may be skewed because he outdrove me by 125 yards on every hole we played, but I still stand with him anyways.
Distance aint no issue for amateurs. In fact most are shorter than they think they are already...WAY shorter. I rarely even see groups go off the back tees at my home course, let alone overpower them.

This is asinine. Stupid. Ridiculous. The USGA needs to be disbanded, shamed, and sent off to live out their days on a golfless iceberg.

This is so so true. I see it daily...

Can we make it a video podcast and just leave this up the whole time? #AllCardsOnTable #MicDrop hahaha

View attachment 8926492
Also, this chart is a pretty brutal indictment of all the money getting poured into equipment manufacturing, R&D, and marketing. OUCH.

Also, this chart is a pretty brutal indictment of all the money getting poured into equipment manufacturing, R&D, and marketing. OUCH.

An excellent point! Talk about wasted money with very little ROI. Let's put a stop to the madness!

This will be a must listen.

My question would be what variable is most to blame for it all? Clubs, Ball, USGA, etc.
People have gotten bigger, stronger and faster as the past 100 years has progressed. The ergonomy of golf course have improved so balls roll further off the tee. And of course ball and equipment have gotten better.

As far as there being a problem with distance in the game, I don't think so. It looks like some of the issues in the report by USGA and RandA are concerned with the following:
  • Distance in the game undermining core principals and challenge of the game (do you use all the clubs in your bag?)
  • Golfers playing from tees that are too far back for them (contradicts, first concern).
  • Longer courses further back tees are taking to long to play and causing the game to not be enjoyable for the masses.
  • Continual lengthening of courses cause environmental concerns (water)
It looks like the are considering drastic rule changes or options for drastic local rules (limited flight balls).. I think new inovations have made golf easier and more fun for the masses. Bringing more people to the game.

It does and it doesn't.

Nothing about it represents accuracy, which I think has been the bigger story lately. At least that's how it's impacted my game.

Discuss if you believe no matter which side you are on, how this is a lose lose situation for equipment manufacturers.

On one side, they may have to then create new equipment for the new rules, and per the other thread, no one will want to buy it.

On the other, if that doesn't happen, there will be so much evidence uncovered about how overall distances and handicaps and scores haven't really changed much in a while and people will start to distrust new equipment, no matter what positives might be there anyway.

There is just no way for an equipment manufacturer to benefit from this news.

It does and it doesn't.

Nothing about it represents accuracy, which I think has been the bigger story lately. At least that's how it's impacted my game.

Right...but...do enough people care about accuracy vs distance? Historically 'they' have not.

Back