Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
For those of you that build all the time I have a question. I was trying to put together a putter today. I sanded the shaft. Cleaned out the hosel. Then I mixed what I thought was enough of the golf works two part epoxy. The black and clear and put it together.

It says it should be set up after a few hours but it still is not. My question is, is this stuff very temp sensitive? I am wondering if it is too cold.

Stated cure times are usually for somewhere around 70*F, colder takes longer, warmer goes faster. I'm not familiar with that specific epoxy, but most are pretty much the same, usually a 50/50 mix, so as long as you got your mix right it should cure in a reasonable amount of time.

Stated cure times are usually for somewhere around 70*F, colder takes longer, warmer goes faster. I'm not familiar with that specific epoxy, but most are pretty much the same, usually a 50/50 mix, so as long as you got your mix right it should cure in a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah it has been like 4 hours and is barely tacky..

Ratio is all I can think of besides how old is the epoxy? Only other thing I can think of usually a yr after opening is the oldest manufacturers recommend.

Ratio is all I can think of besides how old is the epoxy? Only other thing I can think of usually a yr after opening is the oldest manufacturers recommend.

This was brand new. Just got it yesterday day and opened it today..

I'd email them about it. I've found they have pretty good customer service.

Twice I have had this happen, and both times it turned out to be a bad batch of epoxy. I switched brands and havent had an issue since.

I just used the same stuff last week on three wedges. Mine said completely dries in 24hrs. Next day it was completely set up and the clubs were good to go.

I had this happen once due to temperature. Basement was on the colder side. From then on I hit the hosel with a blow dryer for a minute or so. I can actually feel heat from the chemical reaction in the epoxy when you touch the hosel.

I just used the same stuff last week on three wedges. Mine said completely dries in 24hrs. Next day it was completely set up and the clubs were good to go.

This seems to be the case. I think it was the cool temps that really slowed the cure time. I checked it this morning and it seemed to be set up.

This seems to be the case. I think it was the cool temps that really slowed the cure time. I checked it this morning and it seemed to be set up.
The stuff I have says 24 hours as well. I always leave whatever is leftover on the bench with the stick to check if its hardened. Usually by morning its good to go but yes cooler temps will affect it.

Twice I have had this happen, and both times it turned out to be a bad batch of epoxy. I switched brands and havent had an issue since.
This. This is why I’ll never use golfworks epoxy ever again. I had it happen twice as well, was a nightmare.

This. This is why I’ll never use golfworks epoxy ever again. I had it happen twice as well, was a nightmare.
What do you guys use as an alternative? Not a big time builder so golfworks is the one place I know I can get all of that stuff.

What do you guys use as an alternative? Not a big time builder so golfworks is the one place I know I can get all of that stuff.

Same.. I do very little in the way of club building. This is just a putter and seems to have finally set up this morning. But the bottle said 4 hours so I was concerned. Maybe I didn't need to be.

Go to Amazon, buy Brampton. Best out there. I use the quick and the long cure depending on the build. (y)

Mitchell. Which I believe is Bramptons.

Same.. I do very little in the way of club building. This is just a putter and seems to have finally set up this morning. But the bottle said 4 hours so I was concerned. Maybe I didn't need to be.
Good news is, there’s little chance of a failure there if it finally set since it’s a putter.

Go to Amazon, buy Brampton. Best out there. I use the quick and the long cure depending on the build. (y)
Awesome. Appreciate it. Now that I have done one reshaft I am getting ambitious and thinking about custom BB&F Ferrules for my irons. Just wanting to get my ducks in a row.

Awesome. Appreciate it. Now that I have done one reshaft I am getting ambitious and thinking about custom BB&F Ferrules for my irons. Just wanting to get my ducks in a row.
Just PLEASE finish (turn) the ferrules? A job worth doing is worth doing right! :LOL:

(you don’t need a machine to turn them, I use acetone and a magic eraser while spinning the club head while the grip is touching the ground.)

Just PLEASE finish (turn) the ferrules? A job worth doing is worth doing right! :LOL:

(you don’t need a machine to turn them, I use acetone and a magic eraser while spinning the club head while the grip is touching the ground.)
Haha, definitely plan on turning down the ferrules. I still have to figure out what I need to do for tip weights and a swing weight scale. Probably pick up an inexpensive scale and a tip weight kit.

The one club I did I used 100 grit (I think) sandpaper then hit it up with acetone. Acetone on the magic eraser?

I've used West System G-Flex. Having worked in the marine industry for many years, it is a product I know and trust. Has to be G-Flex though, NOT West System 105/205 everyday epoxy, which is also wonderful for permanent bonding, but not good on plastic or as flexible after cure as G-Flex is. (A little pliability is good whether in use on a flexing boat hull or golf shaft tip.)

Haha, definitely plan on turning down the ferrules. I still have to figure out what I need to do for tip weights and a swing weight scale. Probably pick up an inexpensive scale and a tip weight kit.

The one club I did I used 100 grit (I think) sandpaper then hit it up with acetone. Acetone on the magic eraser?
Yup. Works well.

This. Exactly what I've done for a good while. And I toss it out after about a year and start over.

Some Epoxys have a shelf life all are temp sensitive and all Epoxys must be stirred , mixed more than you may think stir & restir...

Back