Euro Tour Player of the Year

If there was ever a time when a tie was okay, this is it, especially if you are a stats person. It's almost like Lincoln and Kennedy. Freaky similar.

There were 19 Euro events that had both Kaymer and McD in them. In those events:
Kaymer bested McD in 8 of them
McD bested Kaymer is 8 of them
The tied in 3 of them
Kaymer won 3 of those 19
McD won 3 of those 19
Kaymer won 1 major
McD won 1 major
Kaymer had 5 top 5's
McD had 5 top 5's
Kaymer had 8 top 10's
McD had 6 top 10's
Kaymer had 2 MC's
McD had 1 MC
Kaymer avg finish was 22
McD's avg finish was 24

Kaymer has a win, a 6th and a 21st in tourney's that McD didn't enter.
McD has a 3rd, 5th, 8th, 28th and 31st finish in non-Kaymered events.

Kaymer gets my vote with the extra win.

MK GM Tournament
13 13 Dubai World Championship presented by DP World
10 3 Barclays Singapore Open
30 34 WGC - HSBC Champions
21 1 Andalucia Valderrama Masters
1 17 Alfred Dunhill Links Championship
1 88 US PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
22 22 WGC - Bridgestone Invitational
7 23 THE 139th OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
68 21 The Barclays Scottish Open
8 1 US OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
12 1 The Celtic Manor Wales Open
28 4 Madrid Masters
79 28 BMW PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
54 54 MASTERS TOURNAMENT
3 6 WGC - CA Championship
17 33 WGC - Accenture Match Play Championship
4 20 Omega Dubai Desert Classic
32 14 Commercialbank Qatar Masters presented by Dolphin Energy
1 75 Abu Dhabi Golf Championship

Kaymer only events
1 KLM Open
6 Alstom Open de France
21 BMW International Open

McDowell only events
5 UBS Hong Kong Open
3 Austrian GolfOpen presented by Botarin
31 3 Irish Open
28 Ballantine's Championship
8 Volvo China Open

If there was ever a time when a tie was okay, this is it, especially if you are a stats person. It's almost like Lincoln and Kennedy. Freaky similar.

There were 19 Euro events that had both Kaymer and McD in them. In those events:
Kaymer bested McD in 8 of them
McD bested Kaymer is 8 of them
The tied in 3 of them
Kaymer won 3 of those 19
McD won 3 of those 19
Kaymer won 1 major
McD won 1 major
Kaymer had 5 top 5's
McD had 5 top 5's
Kaymer had 8 top 10's
McD had 6 top 10's
Kaymer had 2 MC's
McD had 1 MC
Kaymer avg finish was 22
McD's avg finish was 24

Kaymer has a win, a 6th and a 21st in tourney's that McD didn't enter.
McD has a 3rd, 5th, 8th, 28th and 31st finish in non-Kaymered events.

Kaymer gets my vote with the extra win.

MK GM Tournament
13 13 Dubai World Championship presented by DP World
10 3 Barclays Singapore Open
30 34 WGC - HSBC Champions
21 1 Andalucia Valderrama Masters
1 17 Alfred Dunhill Links Championship
1 88 US PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
22 22 WGC - Bridgestone Invitational
7 23 THE 139th OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
68 21 The Barclays Scottish Open
8 1 US OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
12 1 The Celtic Manor Wales Open
28 4 Madrid Masters
79 28 BMW PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
54 54 MASTERS TOURNAMENT
3 6 WGC - CA Championship
17 33 WGC - Accenture Match Play Championship
4 20 Omega Dubai Desert Classic
32 14 Commercialbank Qatar Masters presented by Dolphin Energy
1 75 Abu Dhabi Golf Championship

Kaymer only events
1 KLM Open
6 Alstom Open de France
21 BMW International Open

McDowell only events
5 UBS Hong Kong Open
3 Austrian GolfOpen presented by Botarin
31 3 Irish Open
28 Ballantine's Championship
8 Volvo China Open

Love the stats!

Well done staticline!! That definitely put it more in perspective! I thought it was a lot more onesided than that.

As far as I know the award is voted by the Euro sports writers, I could be wrong tho.

Pretty lame if you ask me. They can't pick a player of the year? Sheesh.

A real decisive bunch. I vote GMac. Kaymer is a real talent and did win a major but IMO with a very small footnote that reads "thanks to a 2 stroke penalty from a dirt patch that was trampled on by the crowd and not thought to be a bunker way up in the gallery" - there it is, I said it. Whether or not the Ryder cup officially counted, I think it was a factor.

I love chatting with you paulo. You bring honest and reasoning to the internet.

Let me ask you this. Dont we have co-existence now? I mean you never hear a peep out of the PGA Tour and their players about the Euro Tour. Virtually nothing. Only one side seems to be doing the talking. I guess my question is with the player of the year and rookie of the year awards. Why was it such a big deal on one side and not the other (voting)? I mean both things could be taken the same way by fans. Honest question to a guy I know will give an honest answer.

It's a tough one, and there are a few answers jumping about my head looking for attention.

One, and the prevalent thought....it's good marketing by the Euro tour. The last few weeks have seen the tour get some awesome press by the usual standards, and I reckon there are a few canny guys on there looking to keep the momentum going into the start of the new season, get people watching. I reckon the recent press, including the perceived bickering, will even get a few more viewers tuning in from the US.

Two, and not really a seperate thought - yes, I think we do have coexistence, but it pains me to say, it's a kind of one-way coexistence. We know that historically, as a rule, the top US players will only travel over this way for the majors and RC. This means that the coexistence up until this point has relied on patriotism/comfort/sense of duty to keep the Euro guys on this tour. I do feel that the Euro tour is building, and I think 2011 will be a big year for it, but there's going to be kinks needing ironed out. The schedule isn't perfect, the fields aren't set, and if they're to attract ALL the big talent for more weeks....it'll need to be worth it.

Three, it isn't a big deal. It's a good talking point, but the guys involved in the awards haven't really said 2 words about it. The Euro based pals seem to be the most outspoken, but I think it's just a momentary rant that will die down. I don't believe for a moment that Westwood or Gmac grudge the rookie prize going to Rickie. They just think their pal deserves it more. Can't say I wouldn't be in the same mindset if my friend missed out on something similar. The media will jump on it to sell sheets, and rightly so. Maybe the US media will be in defensive mode due to recent digs from the Euro tour (I don't know, haven't looked), and this blows it up even more.

Back