First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

It seems as though “Tungsten” has become such a buzzword that multiple manufacturers feel it necessary to identify it on the iron head. Although they are night a contrasting color, the Cobra Tour MIMs have “tungsten” engraved across the back of the iron, along the toe. I don’t get it, personally.

Its "technology" that isn't seen, therefore needs to be stated is my view on it.
It's one thing to have a small plug somewhere. Another to have an iron "chassis" built largely on it.
I view it no differently has something stamped forged, but I know it appears to be pretty polarizing on the internet.

Its "technology" that isn't seen, therefore needs to be stated is my view on it.
It's one thing to have a small plug somewhere. Another to have an iron "chassis" built largely on it.
I view it no differently has something stamped forged, but I know it appears to be pretty polarizing on the internet.

i'm one that doesn't love it, but it's not a dealbreaker. "forged" is relevant to a lot of golfers; i'm not sure tungsten existing is something many of us actively seek out.

It is awesome that they are taking the time to tool the combo sets. I don't know if that is the case with other OEMs.

i'm one that doesn't love it, but it's not a dealbreaker. "forged" is relevant to a lot of golfers; i'm not sure tungsten existing is something many of us actively seek out.
Same here. I get that Tungsten is tech that is in the clubs. But they didn't stamp A.I. or Hollow Body or even Forged on the back. And unlike being interested in whether an iron is forged, I have never--not one single time--thought to myself that I'm more or less interested in a club because it has (or doesn't have) tungsten. I also think that they would be significantly cleaner looking without the Tungsten badging. That said, it's not even close to being a dealbreaker for me.

Same here. I get that Tungsten is tech that is in the clubs. But they didn't stamp A.I. or Hollow Body or even Forged on the back. And unlike being interested in whether an iron is forged, I have never--not one single time--thought to myself that I'm more or less interested in a club because it has (or doesn't have) tungsten. I also think that they would be significantly cleaner looking without the Tungsten badging. That said, it's not even close to being a dealbreaker for me.

Forged is stamped on the hosel. :cool:

I love the fact that these combo sets were proactively designed to function seamlessly together. I still think I'm leaning towards a full set of Pros if they play similar to what we saw with the 19's.

It feels to me like it is there to advertise it while the clubs are in the store and people are browsing different irons.

As for internet golfers here we know all about the tungsten from reading the preview and this thread and having visited Callaway’s website multiple times now.

Yet somehow I never gave a second thought to my driver sole saying jailbreak on it.

The TXG review has me pretty excited to get my hands on these irons. TAKE MY MOOOOOONEY! PLEEEEEAAASE! Looking forward to Callaway day at the showcase for sure.

Absolutely, but I think that is because most don't understand it. The relevant here do, but I bet the general consensus of polled golfers wouldn't know what clubs are using the weight, and which aren't. Just as if forged were not stamped they wouldn't either. In fact most wouldn't think much of it until they saw it and then assumed one of two things. Forged means soft. Forged means better players. While neither are necessarily accurate, my generic research tells me that golfers want to know what is going on under the hood. I do believe that THPers, specifically those in the players iron category would prefer a very minimal look in terms of words, logos and phrases, almost as much as they care about performance, sound and feel. I respect that take, while I dont necessarily agree with it, I totally get it.

Based on most of the responses to most irons on the internet, I would venture a guess a large amount would like plain, no logos, nearly blank.

Absolutely, but I think that is because most don't understand it. The relevant here do, but I bet the general consensus of polled golfers wouldn't know what clubs are using the weight, and which aren't. Just as if forged were not stamped they wouldn't either. In fact most wouldn't think much of it until they saw it and then assumed one of two things. Forged means soft. Forged means better players. While neither are necessarily accurate, my generic research tells me that golfers want to know what is going on under the hood. I do believe that THPers, specifically those in the players iron category would prefer a very minimal look in terms of words, logos and phrases, almost as much as they care about performance, sound and feel. I respect that take, while I dont necessarily agree with it, I totally get it.

Based on most of the responses to most irons on the internet, I would venture a guess a large amount would like plain, no logos, nearly blank.

i actually love a lot of blanks haha

It is awesome that they are taking the time to tool the combo sets. I don't know if that is the case with other OEMs.

I didn't realize they were doing this. So they aren't bending clubs for combos? Instead they are putting together specific heads for combo sets? If so, that' freaking amazing!

I didn't realize they were doing this. So they aren't bending clubs for combos? Instead they are putting together specific heads for combo sets? If so, that' freaking amazing!
Yup. Lofts are adjusted in the pros ( 37, 41, 45, 50 ) to the combo set lofts ( 34.5, 39, 44, 49 ) .

Apex 19 combo was the same way - specially tooled heads with different lofts and leading edges. They even made the pros in satin to match the cf19 finish !

Love the Apex 19 combo set. First time I’ve ever done that, and I was blown away. May do it again eventually, but the added forgiveness of the Apex 21 is calling my name...

Honestly? I can't even believe that the "Tungsten" stamping has gotten that much attention and talk. It's not something that I ever would have even noticed or considered. I'd liken it to complaining about the font used for the brand name on the butt of a grip. :ROFLMAO:

TXG guys seem to have semi-alleviated my concerns on the Pro 4 iron.

*Of course I recognize it isn't me and my swing. Good to see though.

How would you rate playability of the new pro model compared to the ‘19? For a players profile iron, I found the 19 Apex Pro very forgiving for the size snd shape. More so in this new model ?
With the forged hollow body construction and the significant tungsten increase, the Apex Pro 21 will play more forgiving than the Apex Pro 19, especially in the long irons. This is due to both a CG (lower) and MOI (higher) improvement, again, most noticeably in the longer irons. I played 4-9,P of the Apex Pro 19 and and very excited the improvement in the 21 version; will play 4-9,P again. Test them. Get fit. Report back. Would love to hear what you think.

With the forged hollow body construction and the significant tungsten increase, the Apex Pro 21 will play more forgiving than the Apex Pro 19, especially in the long irons. This is due to both a CG (lower) and MOI (higher) improvement, again, most noticeably in the longer irons. I played 4-9,P of the Apex Pro 19 and and very excited the improvement in the 21 version; will play 4-9,P again. Test them. Get fit. Report back. Would love to hear what you think.

Music to my ears! The blade length is a bit longer as well, right?

My plans exactly and is already scheduled. ;)

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the "Tungsten" writing on the Pros indicates which of the irons include the tungsten (much like "CF" being present or absent). Those that don't include tungsten won't have it on them.

1610672023663.png

Lots of pondering of a set of Pros and which shafts to get... should probably wait for a fitting but may just blind order. :cool:

@vgolfman Is the ZGrip soft grip something that Callaway collaborated with GP to make? I really liked it when I hit the XForged irons and haven’t seen it anywhere eles!

The TXG review has me pretty excited to get my hands on these irons. TAKE MY MOOOOOONEY! PLEEEEEAAASE! Looking forward to Callaway day at the showcase for sure.
Apex Pros. I need them but according to @KEV it will be 2029 before I buy irons but one more season with my Apex 19s before i purchase new irons. Pros are at the top of my list of irons to go in the bag after this season. Who knows I might prove Kev wrong! 😂😂😂

Lots of pondering of a set of Pros and which shafts to get... should probably wait for a fitting but may just blind order. :cool:

Apex Pros. I need them but according to @KEV it will be 2029 before I buy irons but one more season with my Apex 19s before i purchase new irons. Pros are at the top of my list of irons to go in the bag after this season. Who knows I might prove Kev wrong! 😂😂😂

Back