First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I imagine it had to be a little knee shaking to commit to going full hollow body in the Pro model for the design team.

i'll get the exact quote wrong, but i recall in our meeting with callaway's design team at the 2019 grandaddy, doc hoc said something to the effect of "we won't make a hollowbody iron just to make a hollowbody iron. we'll make a hollowbody iron when there's a reason to make a hollowbody iron." that's pretty encouraging. it tells me they put a lot of thought and design and purpose into this model, so i'm excited to try it and learn more.

Will they be blending the lofts and angles for the combo set this time around ? Loved that about the 19s. Looks wise, the standard just doesn’t do it for me like the cf19. The pro, however, is very, very sexy. Hollow body construction is certainly not what I was expecting !

Those Pros look pretty sleek. That top line looks mighty thin for a hollow body design. I will hit them and see how it shakes out.

Since I am a helpless internet golf nerd, count me as another who is curious about the TCB that had been mentioned. I am guessing it is the name for the tour protos that we've seen out in some bags. I assumed it was just an X Forged proto. But, some sites in Europe are referring to that as a custom release. Wonder if they are essentially X Forged CB or if there are major differences between them.

i'll get the exact quote wrong, but i recall in our meeting with callaway's design team at the 2019 grandaddy, doc hoc said something to the effect of "we won't make a hollowbody iron just to make a hollowbody iron. we'll make a hollowbody iron when there's a reason to make a hollowbody iron." that's pretty encouraging. it tells me they put a lot of thought and design and purpose into this model, so i'm excited to try it and learn more.

The hollowbody question was a big one during the discussion. They had some really good answers. :)

The look of the Apex 21 doesn't make me feel like I need to jump out and replace my A19s (plus my wife would be unhappy). The pros do look very interesting though. It sounds like the biggest benefit of the A12 is forgiveness which while always good isn't my biggest issue.

I am glad they don't have me wanting to run to the store.

Hmmm...... fitting clubs available on the 28th.

Fitting scheduled on the 29th.... ;):p

Can you talk about the difference in the new Elevate ETS shaft from the prior model Elevate 95 in the CF19?

Great write up @Jman. I love the look of the pro's! All of the combo set choices is sweet also.

out of curiosity, which tm iron is the pro more comparable to...P770 or 790?

To me, it surely seems more comparable to the P770.

I signed up for the Callaway Tour Fit Experience at GolfHQ on Feb 6th to hit everything, but Greg said they may be ready for fittings prior to that as well 😉
Where did you sign up? That AIP bonus is coming right on time LOL!

I haven’t seen the Pro in person, but by the sounds of it it’s much smaller than the P790.

I haven’t seen the Pro in person, but by the sounds of it it’s much smaller than the P790.
Much smaller than p790 in sole width

46CCFC5B-09EB-4AC2-9D60-D2167E1F6817.jpeg

Much smaller than p790 in sole width

View attachment 8987689
Thanks for posting that. People seem to jump to that comparison immediately because it's TM's first hollow iron that they're kind of known for. I knew there would be no way the Apex Pro would be as big as that thing. I was thinking this may compare more to the P760 given the profile. Just in terms of size and such. Would you mind posting a pic of the two top lines?

I didn't see it in the write up and looking around I see there is a Tour Cavity Back (TCB) offering, any information on this one @JB

View attachment 8987670

I heard the Callaway European guy say that they were going to be custom ordering just like the Apex MB irons.

These feel like they are going to be in heavy rotation for the Grandaddy fittings! I wonder, with the DCB if that's a good replacement for the Epic forged irons, they seem to fit that same player market (a more forgiving, forged feel club)?

Hopefully they’ve nailed the feel because for me personally I’ve never gotten along with a hollow body iron from a feel/sound perspective.
Great write up @Jman tons of good info in there!

Right on Mike, I've heard the sound the Ping makes and it's awful. IME, the Pro's look fantastic. I'm willing to give these a try for sure. If the sound is right and the numbers match up these could be in the bag very shortly.

I feel like these are going to be a must demo before you pull the trigger on any one of the sets. These are gonna be bombers as far as irons go, but also playable for the entire ball striking capability spectrum.

The way people were talking, I was ready for more than $185 a club.

I like the look of the Pros, because why would I like to look down at a club that's better for my game, so sound and feel will have to be on point for my completely unnecessary picky-ness. I will most likely try them and buy them and sell them and go back to my 2011 irons.

Back