First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

The DCB will be the most under evaluated set on the internet and it might be the sleeper of the entire lineup.

Really excited to put that one through its paces in a few weeks. Really like what I'm hearing and reading.

The Triple Lindy (Im aging myself) should be heavily looked at :D

i have no idea what that is lol

can you show top-down views of the dcb and zx5? i'm curious how much difference there is in offset.

For a visual size comparison, here is the DCB vs the ZX5

View attachment 8987696
Let me ask a question about this picture, we know the srixon is a V sole, does that make the leading edge sharper? What's the leading edge look like on the apex and pro?

agree, I am not sure I will resist a 50% trade in bonus if it's offered.
My apex 19 would get 400 without a bonus. Throw another 200 on that, and now my wallet is feeling lighter.

Pros, or Combo? That is the question.

darn it.

Ugh, a trade in bonus for these would be difficult to resist... the combination of the Recoil DART and the Triple combo set .... dang, I'd really be hard pressed to pass that up

My apex 19 would get 400 without a bonus. Throw another 200 on that, and now my wallet is feeling lighter.

Pros, or Combo? That is the question.

darn it.
Going to be a LOT of trade ins I think!

I agree it's a cleaner presentation than the previous version, but it bugs me for some reason. Again I know I am in the minority (party of 1) but it's not enough to make me not want to hit them and have them in the bag if they work.

I know you well enough to know you have a very particular eye. ;).

I’ve never wanted my swing to be better than right now... those Prooooooossssssss

i have no idea what that is lol

can you show top-down views of the dcb and zx5? i'm curious how much difference there is in offset.
Offset doesn’t appear to be all that different to me, but I’m the wrong person to ask. You can see from this one, they are bigger, but not wildly so and this is the DCB, not standard.

0F7AB9FA-F1AF-4377-AD79-7F06FB6F393D.jpeg

Very excited to see the numbers and get feedback on feel once the Showcase rolls around.

Fantastic write up Jman. If there's anything that gets me excited, its a new Apex line and this does not disappoint. They all appear to be clearly differentiated and yet, all could be useful. Look forward to getting some in my hands to test out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Callaway has made it so easy and tempting for us CF19 Forged owners to go swing the CF21 and see the difference. I mean the lofts are the same, Elevates still there although upgraded. Heck I can go to the golf store with my 6 or 7 iron depending on what's in the fitting cart and do a comparison real easy now. Then it's maybe trade time! :)

Also, I want to clean up the combo set discussion in the article as well as here, it is going to be edited for a little more clarity.

Callaway WILL be offering the standard Apex/Pro combo set as an option, the other three are configurations they expect people to either create themselves through self orders or even orders through fitting centers. Hope this helps:

"Some of you were reading along and wondering, so this is for you…

YES, Callaway will be offering a combo sets for the Apex 21 lineup.

The main option will be the same we saw last time around blending the Apex 21 3-7 with Apex Pro 21 8-AW through the use of unique tooling in the Pro’s to make the set flow as seamlessly as possible. However, they are fully anticipating the possibility of other combo’s created by the consumer or during fittings with the “Apex Sweet Spot” having DCB 4-5 and Apex 21 6-AW, the “Apex Triple Play” with DCB 4-5, Apex 21 6-9, and Apex Pro 21 9-AW, as well as the “Apex Player” featuring Apex Pro 21 3-7 and Callaway Apex MB 8-AW."

I'm curious how the Pro's sound vs FT?

I don't get the "too busy" look some say with the Pro's. Some want a cleaner look without identifiers but then say it's too plain. Others want some distinction but then say it's too busy. I think this is a nice mix of both really. Today's pics really do look smooth.
It is interesting how different people respond differently to the various OEM offerings. A recent offering from another OEM that's loosely in the same category has rather large lettering with the club name and I don't recall many people saying it looked busy. No biggie, just an observation.

The Triple Lindy (Im aging myself) should be heavily looked at :D

I'm interested in this. I like the idea of having a more forgiving iron in the 4/5 but not sure where I'd want the transition from Standard to Pro yet... if they do a 50% trade in bonus, these are going to be hard to resist.

I'm curious how the Pro's sound vs FT?
How about sound/feel comparison of Pros and MIMs? That one really intrigues me.

I think this release will be a home run for Callaway

Also, I want to clean up the combo set discussion in the article as well as here, it is going to be edited for a little more clarity.

Callaway WILL be offering the standard Apex/Pro combo set as an option, the other three are configurations they expect people to either create themselves through self orders or even orders through fitting centers. Hope this helps:

The main option will be the same we saw last time around blending the Apex 21 3-7 with Apex Pro 21 8-AW through the use of unique tooling in the Pro’s to make the set flow as seamlessly as possible. However, they are fully anticipating the possibility of other combo’s created by the consumer or during fittings with the “Apex Sweet Spot” having DCB 4-5 and Apex 21 6-AW, the “Apex Triple Play” with DCB 4-5, Apex 21 6-9, and Apex Pro 21 9-AW, as well as the “Apex Player” featuring Apex Pro 21 3-7 and Callaway Apex MB 8-AW."

so the triple play really will have two 9 irons?

Exactly. I feel like, from what you have given us, there is a very clear delineation between each of these, which is crucial. It isn't just slapping the name on them for the sake of it. If there is ANYTHING I have learned from spending time with the CG guys, it is that this line is really their "baby" and they are adamant about not putting anything other than perfection on that name.
They really spoke to that with the '19 line, that it was REALLY hard to get everything they wanted to do into the footprints they were working with and that is why it took extra time. Because of that background one of the stories here for me is that with AI they seemingly got back to a 2 year cycle pretty much with ease.

I’m curious to hear about sound/feel of the Pros in general. “Hollow body” seems to give some people pause based on prior experiences, so if Callaway did indeed pull off the “single-piece forged” feel through tungsten/microspheres, these should sell like hot cakes.

@Jman for the Triple play is the 9 a Apex Pro or Apex 21? I would hope its the pro?

@Jman for the Triple play is the 9 a Apex Pro or Apex 21? I would hope its the pro?
  • Triple Play Combo Set
    Combines Apex DCB (4-5), Apex 21 (6-9) and Apex Pro (PW-AW) so you can reap all of the technology and performance benefits that this family has to offer, from forgiveness to workability.

Back