First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Do you guys think the Pro's could be more variable in terms of distance vs. the 21's? I ask because it seems if the Pro is struck well the distance will be much farther than on slightly off-center hits....vs....the 21's which have a larger (seemingly) effective hitting area which might result in more consistent distances over 100's of shots.
I don’t know if it is true, but my memory is that Callaway said something to the effect that the Pros are about as forgiving as the ‘19 standard heads. The Pros are more forgiving than their appearance would lead us to believe.

Thanks for the response...as well as the other folks. I was thinking about situations where I'm in that "in-between" yardage and if I need to depend upon getting the most out of a club, I would prefer to not be thinking "I better it this darn near perfect"....but rather hit it "decently well".

Has anyone hit the '21 3 and 4 irons? They (to me) look like they'd be as easy to hit as any hybrid.. For me, hybrids are fine but I can't really depend upon consistent distances like irons.
I would have to think that relative forgiveness between a long iron and a hybrid would be player specific with respect to how the club is delivered to the ball. Also, not all hybrids are created equally. I would have a hard time believing that for most people, a 3 iron in any model would be as forgiving as a hybrid. I can certainly see how a 3 iron or a utility iron may well serve a particular player’s needs much better than a hybrid, but in terms of what we view as forgiveness, I would be skeptical. just my opinion, though.

Last edited:
I don’t know if it is true, but my memory is that Callaway said something to the effect that the Pros are about as forgiving as the ‘19 standard heads. The Pros are more forgiving than their appearance would lead us to believe.

That is true with the advent of the AI face and body design. They said as forgiving as the regular Apex 19 heads.

Thanks for the response...as well as the other folks. I was thinking about situations where I'm in that "in-between" yardage and if I need to depend upon getting the most out of a club, I would prefer to not be thinking "I better it this darn near perfect"....but rather hit it "decently well".

Has anyone hit the '21 3 and 4 irons? They (to me) look like they'd be as easy to hit as any hybrid.. For me, hybrids are fine but I can't really depend upon consistent distances like irons.

I'm with @Tenputt on the idea of any long iron being as forgiving as a hybrid. Just from a design and moi perspective that seems unlikely. It's all individual to what suits you though.

If you're taking about the standard 3 and 4 irons, I have them. And they are really easy to hit. Easy being pretty relative though. And easier to hit than say the X Forged UT, which is a good suggestion to try, would probably be individual too. They sound and feel a little different, and will fly a little differently depending on your swing. The Apex 21 is slightly more compact and has more offset than the UT as well, and a little more bounce I think. So whichever attributes your eye and swing prefer is probably 'more forgiving' for you.

20210506_115213.jpg20210506_120324.jpg20210506_115339.jpg20210506_115407.jpg

Last edited:
The dates on my Apex Pro held steady for 2 weeks. 05/03-05/10 now we are in the window and this afternoon it jumped another week. :mad:

Depends on the definition of a slight miss. If you miss all the way out on the toe past the grooves you will notice it. No doubt the standard Apex or the DCB have better ball speed retention on bigger misses.
I think the combination of low and toe is what causes the dropoff for me. I normally find the grooves but i do visit that shiny, smooth toe section from time to time..😂

I hear and feel your pain. Mine are and have been holding steady at 5/17 to 5/21. 🤞

I'm with @Tenputt on the idea of any long iron being as forgiving as a hybrid. Just from a design and moi perspective that seems unlikely. It's all individual to what suits you though.

If you're taking about the standard 3 and 4 irons, I have them. And they are really easy to hit. Easy being pretty relative though. And easier to hit than say the X Forged UT, which is a good suggestion to try, would probably be individual too. They sound and feel a little different, and will fly a little differently depending on your swing. The Apex 21 is slightly more compact and has more offset than the UT as well, and a little more bounce I think. So whichever attributes your eye and swing prefer is probably 'more forgiving' for you.

View attachment 9006522View attachment 9006526View attachment 9006523View attachment 9006524
Cool 3 iron. I know what you folks are saying about hybrids being easier to hit, but with that (for me) comes a distance-guessing game. Plus the different head throws me off mentally. I feel like A) with the hybrid, I can more easily hit the ball well, but.....B) the ball could go +/- 20 yards pending the strike. Could be just me but I pulled all hybrids from my bag several months ago. The only hybrid I carry is a 17* G400 which substitutes for my 3W because the distance difference is not enough to hit the 3W which is IMO harder to hit well consistently.

I generally find most hybrids go left for me and launch too high. Lot of people point to their benefits out of the first cut as oppose to long irons, but I had too much distance control issues out of the rough. Looking forward to a combination of my x Forged UT and Apex Pro 4 iron. Pros jumped from being shipped this week to mid June. Hoping this is not correct. Will call tomorrow

Last edited:
June!:eek: Not cool at all. If mine don't come by June I'm out. I'll stick with my X Forged 21's.
Pros jumped from being shipped this week to mid June.

Speaking on consistency, it isn’t just the location on the face. On my last hole tonight I had a 7 iron and I turned it over too much. It ended up off the left of the green though still right on my target distance. I had that same miss many times with the CF16 and that ball would end up way long.

The DCB long irons are ridiculously easy to hit. I had a 4 iron in the Mavrik last year, and it was hit or miss, so I usually played a hybrid instead.
My DCB 4 iron has become a weapon off the tee, and I use it interchangeable with a hybrid depending on what I am looking for. I feel like I launch the 4 iron lower than the hybrid, but it is very consistent in distance with surprising forgiveness.

The DCB long irons are ridiculously easy to hit. I had a 4 iron in the Mavrik last year, and it was hit or miss, so I usually played a hybrid instead.
My DCB 4 iron has become a weapon off the tee, and I use it interchangeable with a hybrid depending on what I am looking for. I feel like I launch the 4 iron lower than the hybrid, but it is very consistent in distance with surprising forgiveness.
Thanks for the response (y) Do you have the combo set....21's and DCBs? On paper the DCB 4 iron is 3* stronger than the Apex 21 5 iron, but I wonder if the DCB 4 iron plays longer than the stated 20* loft, at least relative to the Apex 21 5 iron. The DCBs do look enticing considering I would still have the similar-looking clubs vs. going from an iron look to a hybrid.

Thanks for the response (y) Do you have the combo set....21's and DCBs? On paper the DCB 4 iron is 3* stronger than the Apex 21 5 iron, but I wonder if the DCB 4 iron plays longer than the stated 20* loft, at least relative to the Apex 21 5 iron. The DCBs do look enticing considering I would still have the similar-looking clubs vs. going from an iron look to a hybrid.

i went with the Triple Play.
DCB 4 and 5
Standard 6 - 9
Pro Pw and Aw

~3* gap in the 4/5, then to 3.5* to the 6.

I have found the DCB to be one of the easiest long irons to hit. I believe we saw that with @Jman crushing them at the tech studio a while back as well.

Must be some component just became backordered. Call and see what it is. If they are heads that are backordered see if they'll ship out the irons that are ready.
A component is missing and won't be in until then...would be my guess. Worth a call to see if they can tell you what it is. I know with my pros...while waiting on heads to come in the grips and shaft then became an issue.
Actually was both the grip (I had just gone with stock) and the shaft. I was torn on steel shafts anyway since I play graphite in my Rogues so went with that in my Apex Triple Play Combo as well. The expected delivery is now supposed to be next week.

I don't have pics up yet but will likely be listing my set of 21 apex std with MMT 95S. Set is 4-AW. PM if you're tired of waiting. My set has 3 buckets of range balls and 3 rounds
Set would be over $1600 new from Callaway and not giving them away ($1150 shipped) but they are in hand. ZX7 won out

Last edited:
i went with the Triple Play.
DCB 4 and 5
Standard 6 - 9
Pro Pw and Aw

~3* gap in the 4/5, then to 3.5* to the 6.

I have found the DCB to be one of the easiest long irons to hit. I believe we saw that with @Jman crushing them at the tech studio a while back as well.
I went with the Triple play though I am a higher handicapper (trending 20 right now). I am not worried about the standard Apex irons as I actually tried and loved them. Not sure how I will do with the Pro PW and AW though.

I went with the Triple play though I am a higher handicapper (trending 20 right now). I am not worried about the standard Apex irons as I actually tried and loved them. Not sure how I will do with the Pro PW and AW though.

I think you’ll be fine. I sometimes wish I went TP. I bought a stock Pro PW and AW to test against my standard. Found them just as easy to hit in that slot but a noticeable drop off in yardage. But that shouldn’t be an issue with the combo set.

If you can hit your Vokey 50 & 54 you should have no issue there.

I'll be curious to see how the triple play works out for folks. I love that Callaway spent the time to make sure that the mixed sets blend well with these.

If you can hit your Vokey 50 & 54 you should have no issue there.

I'll be curious to see how the triple play works out for folks. I love that Callaway spent the time to make sure that the mixed sets blend well with these.
I have no issues with the Vokeys. Play really well for me to be honest and may be my best clubs on a regular basis.

Last couple of questions:

Which Callaway irons are the softest feeling upon impact, even on mishits?

Do graphite shafts ruin the feel or weighting?

Had a range sesh with the pros today. Man these irons feel so fricking good!

So with the shaft and grip change I made on Wednesday, my clubs shipped today (as opposed to sometime in July). I had paid for overnight shipping but since they are coming from Mexico not sure if that really holds true or not. Hopefully I get them by Tue/Wed next week.

Last couple of questions:

Which Callaway irons are the softest feeling upon impact, even on mishits?

Do graphite shafts ruin the feel or weighting?
I can't answer the questions about feel since I only have hit the pros. But graphite doesn't ruin anything. I switched to graphite last season and won't go back to steel. There are heavier graphite options if that's what you're worried about though

I can't answer the questions about feel since I only have hit the pros. But graphite doesn't ruin anything. I switched to graphite last season and won't go back to steel. There are heavier graphite options if that's what you're worried about though
Thanks!!!

Back