First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

For the folks with these in the bag - how is this iteration of the V-sole on hardpan? That was my big issue when I tried the RTX-3. When it gets dry around here, the areas around the green can get really firm. And it's especially bad at the new home course.

My thought is to play a wide-soled 54 which I still use for full shots and go with a lower bounce 58 to mitigate that, but that's not a setup I've used that much in the past (been playing the S grind in the MD series for a while).

For the folks with these in the bag - how is this iteration of the V-sole on hardpan? That was my big issue when I tried the RTX-3. When it gets dry around here, the areas around the green can get really firm. And it's especially bad at the new home course.

My thought is to play a wide-soled 54 which I still use for full shots and go with a lower bounce 58 to mitigate that, but that's not a setup I've used that much in the past (been playing the S grind in the MD series for a while).

I would say more versatile. The leading edge really combines a lot of what I like to see, which is a little less rounded (not a ton) making it more playable in different lies. We have a lot of testers though, so hopefully they offer some feedback as well.

If they ship to you early that is mind bending awesome.

My fedex label had an expected delivery date of 8/4 for a few days but finally saw some movement. Looks like Fedex picked up the packages and will be 8/6 delivery

GraniteRoost’s RTX ZipCore Data

I visited my local golf store today to get some quick data on the new RTX ZipCore. I would like to give a huge plug and thank you to Golf and Ski Warehouse in West Lebanon, NH for their always superb customer service, club-fitting, and extensive OEM inventory. With four locations in New Hampshire, they are my favorite in northern New England.

Format is five shots, no throwaways except for GROSS mishits. I am not talented enough to intentionally traverse the face nor was clubface data being monitored with GC Hawk, so inferences will have to be made. All shots taken with 54* Mid, and compared to RTX4 54* Mid as a spot check. Golf ball was a brand new 2020 Bridgestone TourB X. All shots taken with facemask on and I was sweating bullets by the end to bring this data to you, my fellow Hackers.

50 Yards – this is a little half shot. I hit the first shot with RTX4 too far, and accounts for higher spin. I hit two fat with the RTX ZipCore (1st and 3rd) that knocked some spin off. They play closer than what appears here. If I drop the 1st shot from RTX4 and 1st and 3rd from RTX ZipCore, I am left with 6800 vs. 6850 rpm average respectively, quite close.

ZipCore50.png

80 yards – this is a ¾ shot, slower tempo, and shorter swing, a shot and distance I like. I am expecting to hold the green with nearly zero rollout at this point. Very similar but ZipCore did provide slightly higher launch and lower average spin (in this very limited test.) The highest spin with RTX4 @ 9800, ZipCore’s highest was 9300. I think some of the differences between launch angle and peak height make sense based on what I’ve seen on course. Even though I did not hit all of these perfect, the misses reflect my patterns and what the club is doing for me.

ZipCore80.png

FULL – this is typically about 105 yards for me, typically anything longer I will play a ¾ gap wedge. Here we see very similar results, with launch and spin near identical. Descent angle, peak heights, heck even the standard deviations are close. You could make an argument for dispersion being better with the ZipCore, however, I hit a better set with the ZipCore, and some hooky ones in with the RTX4. I think the result is partly on me, and the rest is ZipCore doing its thing. Which is where this discussion turns interesting, because if a person were prone to hooky ones, perhaps ZipCore is evening things out. You can see my typical shot is a draw… just a slightly smaller one with ZipCore.

ZipCore Full.png

Overall I think the above data are in line with my collective course experiences. I was expecting to see maybe a little extra carry distance out of the ZipCore, but I might have psyched myself out on that one. I don’t typically hit wedges indoors but this was a fun exercise. ZipCore performed great all around and the data here would only reinforce a choice to game these. Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:

I visited my local golf store today to get some quick data on the new RTX ZipCore. I would like to give a huge plug and thank you to Golf and Ski Warehouse in West Lebanon, NH for their always superb customer service, club-fitting, and extensive OEM inventory. With four locations in New Hampshire, they are my favorite in northern New England.

Format is five shots, no throwaways except for GROSS mishits. I am not talented enough to intentionally traverse the face nor was clubface data being monitored with GC Hawk, so inferences will have to be made. All shots taken with 54* Mid, and compared to RTX4 54* Mid as a spot check. All shots taken with facemask on and I was sweating bullets by the end to bring this data to you, my fellow Hackers.

50 Yards – this is a little half shot. I hit the first shot with RTX4 too far, and accounts for higher spin. I hit two fat with the RTX ZipCore (1st and 3rd) that knocked some spin off. They play closer than what appears here. If I drop the 1st shot from RTX4 and 1st and 3rd from RTX ZipCore, I am left with 6800 vs. 6850 rpm average respectively, quite close.

View attachment 8956300

80 yards – this is a ¾ shot, slower tempo, and shorter swing, a shot and distance I like. I am expecting to hold the green with nearly zero rollout at this point. Very similar but ZipCore did provide slightly higher launch and lower average spin (in this very limited test.) The highest spin with RTX4 @ 9800, ZipCore’s highest was 9300. I think some of the differences between launch angle and peak height make sense based on what I’ve seen on course. Even though I did not hit all of these perfect, the misses reflect my patterns and what the club is doing for me.

View attachment 8956301

FULL – this is typically about 105 yards for me, typically anything longer I will play a ¾ gap wedge. Here we see very similar results, with launch and spin near identical. Descent angle, peak heights, heck even the standard deviations are close. You could make an argument for dispersion being better with the ZipCore, however, I hit a better set with the ZipCore, and some hooky ones in with the RTX4. I think the result is partly on me, and the rest is ZipCore doing its thing. Which is where this discussion turns interesting, because if a person were prone to hooky ones, perhaps ZipCore is evening things out. You can see my typical shot is a draw… just a slightly smaller one with ZipCore.

View attachment 8956299

Overall I think the above data are in line with my collective course experiences. I was expecting to see maybe a little extra carry distance out of the ZipCore, but I might have psyched myself out on that one. I don’t typically hit wedges indoors but this was a fun exercise. ZipCore performed great all around and the data here would only reinforce a choice to game these. Hope you enjoyed!
This was some great and helpful information @GraniteRoost, as I keep adding different configurations to my cart. I think I am leaning 52/56/60 based on your information.

To try and show the difference of the V-sole and the ZipCore here is a picture. My RTX 3 is on the right.

57E8CFEC-EC76-412C-A5B2-23292EDA4684.jpeg

As you can see the ZipCore is more evenly rounded and doesn’t use that V angle on bounce.

So far, I have found the ZipCore to be incredibly versatile when interacting with the turf. The club mores thru the rough or fairway with ease and I haven’t chunked many shots. I really enjoy how the club feels on impact with the ground.

On hard pan or really tight lies around the green I think the ZipCore has reacted just as good or better than my RTX3. I had a tight little lie under a tree with no grass about 20 yards from the green. I was able to chip it low and clean to the green to within 10 feet of the pin. I just looked at the club and said not bad I can take that.

Reactions: JB

I never played the RTX-3, I was in MD2 Tour Grinds during that period (for reference, LOVE those, and elements of the ZipCore grind actually remind me of those.). I can compare to RTX-4, and I will say that that I've been grinding hard on the bounce issue. First, the RTX4 54 Mid is actually one of my very favorite wedges for hardpan and nippers of short apron grass. The shallow, wide V really kept the front edge down, at least for me. Especially when playing square at address, which I tend to off hardpan. I think there were some differences from the RTX3 to RTX4 the helped there? The new ZipCore plays with a touch more effective bounce than RTX4 for me, and is maybe a hair less intuitive off hardpan for me, but still quite good. The sole grind allows opening it up while keeping the edge low, and I've hit some pretty juicy lobs off hardpan with no issues. I would still recommend, and where I might give the edge to RTX4 for hardpan if splitting hairs, I would then turn around and give the edge to ZipCore for plusher, thicker lies.

Format is five shots, no throwaways except for GROSS mishits. I am not talented enough to intentionally traverse the face nor was clubface data being monitored with GC Hawk, so inferences will have to be made. All shots taken with 54* Mid, and compared to RTX4 54* Mid as a spot check. Golf ball was a brand new 2020 Bridgestone TourB X. All shots taken with facemask on and I was sweating bullets by the end to bring this data to you, my fellow Hackers.

View attachment 8956300

View attachment 8956301

View attachment 8956299

Super consistent with what I was seeing and reporting - slightly longer, slightly lower spin, slightly higher launch. Great data!

Looks like my 58 is coming Friday rather than Thursday now.

Thats fun. I love my 62 degree, so I know the high lofts will work well.

Love my 58*!! Its so versatile, anywhere from 85 yards and in, it gives me so much confidence. You are going to really like it!

Thats fun. I love my 62 degree, so I know the high lofts will work well.
Love my 58*!! Its so versatile, anywhere from 85 yards and in, it gives me so much confidence. You are going to really like it!

I’m hitting my 54 so we’ll, I’m having it bent to 55 and then will have the 58 bent to 59. This is a good thing!

I’m hitting my 54 so we’ll, I’m having it bent to 55 and then will have the 58 bent to 59. This is a good thing!
Awesome! I'm pondering adding a 54 potentially. Just a fun wedge that plays so well for me!

View attachment 8956300

View attachment 8956301

View attachment 8956299

Thanks again for the post! Though I didn't go through the stats line by line, I was intrigued by the Standard Deviation, and to me it appears that you had better consistency on the 80 and Full shots with the ZipCore than with the RTX-4. This is a really good sign to me.

Your handicap is significantly lower than mine, but the fact that you're able to show a pretty significant lowering of your standard deviating with just an equipment change is definitely inspiring.

My short-coming is generally my ability to get up-and-down from 25 yards. The vast majority of this is due to the fact that I don't practice my short game nearly enough. I feel like having some new wedges which I've picked based on my own specs (via the website), and have immediate confidence in, I'll be encouraged to work on that short game more... thus lowering those scores.

Birdie from 87 yds to an elevated semi blind pin tucked over a bunker... while playing through 😀.

Green side Sand save to 4 ft on next hole one under last three holes. ZipCore turning this party barge around.

53F50DC8-E293-458A-A5A7-E28D627C8459.jpeg

This shot was huge. Almost lost the tee shot in the woods and terrible lie with grass laying against me. 95 yards tucked pin. Opened the face a little and gouged out a high beauty, 8ft of rollout, it landed center of the green. Saving par is the name of the game!

656A7C90-1B3F-4F92-B2D6-010801A62AE1.jpegADD912FB-A0AD-4F89-85CB-06393F2F4440.jpeg
13335A57-3A8D-42C7-823D-4BAA1E031890.jpeg

WOW 🤩. ZipCore saves par again. Difficult 40 yds bunker shot from where my footprints are swept over. Very Chunky tee shot. Nipped it just right, tons of height and spin.

466E05AE-46D4-47B4-AE41-A1E3909F7DEB.jpegB66B1D0A-31F8-432F-91D8-5AA5AB35A71C.jpeg

Another poor tee shot on 17. Another 43 yard shot this time. Wet sand, so it came out low but spinny . 🤯 Mind is blown. Lipped out the putt, but it was my second ball 😀. Superb bunker performance here.

B1D1E000-4CF2-4457-83A8-5983A80A7458.jpeg54C8E4B5-9D60-44F1-820A-8C243FC5BD03.jpegB96FB6A1-57E1-4E5A-8411-9BB3E7AEE3CA.jpeg

Ok, 18th hole and then I’ll stop 😜

Bunkered green side again about 15-20 yards out. Wet sand again, Six feet left. Lipped out again 😬 second ball again 🤠

This is a full-blooded well-performing legit sand wedge of the finest variety. Three legit save opportunities on the last four holes.

7D196BC7-6916-434E-92F2-8D9623786555.jpegA6087BD3-11BF-4F63-BCE7-B1366EBC0895.jpeg

Hello spin

5B3F516C-6041-493E-AA21-C142B39446E9.jpeg

Oh my. 11k

Ok, 18th hole and then I’ll stop 😜

Bunkered green side again about 15-20 yards out. Wet sand again, Six feet left. Lipped out again 😬 second ball again 🤠

This is a full-blooded well-performing legit sand wedge of the finest variety. Three legit save opportunities on the last four holes.

View attachment 8956464View attachment 8956465
Dude. You are officially my hero. Great updates and awesome pictures

Back