First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

Pre order starts today. I went ahead and preordered a 58 just now!!!

I dont play the 58, but do play the 62 and the high lofted wedges are fantastic. So much versatility without sacrifice.

I have a brand new RTX4 that I bought just before being selected and it don’t spin quite like the ZipCore. Must be the new style grooves. They seem to really grab the ball and put more spin on it.

I have some wedgeworks SM8s coming sometime in the near future. It will be interesting to see fresh vs fresher when that happens.

Early on when hitting of some tighter lies the other day I felt like the sole on my 54 wasn't cutting through the turf as much as I wanted. I don't want to say it was getting stuck, but didn't feel as clean to me as my RTX3 54. Everything else felt pretty darn good and the results were more than just ok, but that feeling caused me to take a few more chips/pitches while out there. By the end of the round I kind of just got used to it.

I compared the new Zipcore 58* to my RTX-3 54*, both in Mid. Overall, the feeling is very similar on both. On partial shorts the feeling is pretty much the same. The Zipcore does seem to get through the grass better for me, especially on rough lies. Not that the RTX-3 does bad, just that the Zipcore does better.

I mentioned in a post about my round on Friday, but what impresses me most is the stability on full shots with the Zipcore. I used it on a variety of lies and distances, and it was so good. The ability to stick a shot with little green to work with is a weapon in my arsenal of shot making I didn't have before. Full shots, partial shots, doesn't matter, all have great feel and I had some great results.

I hit a lot of partial shots into the greens yesterday due to my very poor driving yesterday. I hit all sorts of different shots - one hop and stop, high flops, pitches playing for roll, and even a few bunker shots. I was able to do it all and had a.higher up and down percentage because I was closer to the pin than normal. A lot of that has to do with the ZipCore and it’s the second straight week of that. I’m a big fan and a 50* will be on preorder soon.

Pre-Order also includes customization (y) This may soon be in the bag!

Cleveland_SW.jpg

Pre-order is in. 54 & 60 mid. I ordered them bent flat and a half inch long, so sure it will take a little while, but can't wait to get my hands on these.

Pre-order is in. 54 & 60 mid. I ordered them bent flat and a half inch long, so sure it will take a little while, but can't wait to get my hands on these.
I predict that you will enjoy them, a lot. V sole plus the stability in this wedge is a fantastic combination!

I predict that you will enjoy them, a lot. V sole plus the stability in this wedge is a fantastic combination!

I've been playing my MD4s for 2.5 seasons so should be interesting to see how it plays out. Like most I've played Cleveland wedges before but I'm excited to see how the improvements they've made this year help me out.

I've been playing my MD4s for 2.5 seasons so should be interesting to see how it plays out. Like most I've played Cleveland wedges before but I'm excited to see how the improvements they've made this year help me out.

I think you will be pleased with the upgrade. The spin increase alone will probably do it, but as you get used to the feel these wedges become deadly accurate.

Thoughts? Oh, I've got thoughts. Buckle up. ;)

I know much of this has been discussed through here, but I have been trying to build out a sample size I was comfortable with in order to truly dive into the performance. If there is one thing I have learned over the years, initial thoughts are always fun, but its the first week or two that really lets me dial in on the idiosyncrasies. I've now got about 9 rounds on these including one of the most wedge important courses I have played probably ever. Plus, range sessions indoors and out have made for some interesting thoughts.

About Me

Currently playing to about a 6-7, this year hasn't been as crisp as I have backed up to 6900+. Most around here know me, for those peeking in who don't, I'm one of the staff writers who is also 1000% an equipment *****. I love new and shiny, and I love new wedges. I've previously had the RTX3, RTX4, and CBX2 in the bag for articles and just as my wedges of choice, so the familiarity with Cleveland is very much there, as is the comfort.

I'm coming from Vokey SM8 54D and 62M DG Tour Issue shafts. For this one, I received two wedges to counter those gamers, a 54 Mid and 62 Low, both bounces are recommended by Cleveland as the best option compared to what I've been playing.

Aesthetics

Always worth talking about, I'll admit, when I wrote the First Look article I was bummed to see the Black and Raw variations won't come until the end of the year, but with COVID, I get it. That said, I've mentioned it in my other reviews, but Cleveland has maybe the best Satin finish out there so its all good. The RTX ZipCore keep that trend for sure, its a good clean finish that thus far has shown some brushing, but nothing out of the norm.

The shape is interesting to me. Not from an address look as I might be crazy but it looks like a Cleveland wedge there to me, rather the way they have manipulated weight in the rest of the wedge thanks to the new internal core, namely on the back of the flange with the way it gets thicker toward the top. This is definitely a CG and MOI manipulation thing, but it reminds me of the similar concept used in the Indi Scoopback wedges. This is more refined and less industrial, but its a similar look.

The grooves as always a killer looking. I know some are talking about the milling marks on the toe section, but that is not new to this release, the RTX4 and CBX2 both had them. They do add to a mean look though. Its still strange looking at a Cleveland wedge and not discussing ROTEX, but evolution is inevitable. I'm not the biggest fan of the polished section on the flange with ZipCore in it, but that is literally my only nitpick, so, its a definite overall thumbs up for Cleveland here.

Sound/Feel

Sound is feel. Particularly in wedges, if the sound isn't right, then the feel won't be, and then people will tune out, if you doubt that, look back to the TM MG wedges and even the RTX3 to an extent (for me personally they were on the firm side). Because Cleveland got it so right with the RTX4 I was afraid with this drastic design change that is the new core material there would be a notable change but....to me they sound/feel like the RTX4, and that, is a big pat on the back of the ZipCore wedges. Its a really nice sensation at impact through all different lies.

Flight and Workability

To the meat and potatoes. With all the weight movement going on, as well as the new DG TI Spinner shaft, I was curious to see the flight not just on full shots, but particularly those low checkers I really enjoy playing with my wedges. With the full swings with the 54 (I don't full swing the 62, or any lob wedge, anymore) on the Foresight GC2 I have averaged 32 yards peak height which is comparatively 1 yard higher than the RTX4 for me. The prior version of the Spinner shaft had two versions based on flight needs, so I was curious if this one would be just flat out high launching, so far though the flight has been strong, I have no complaints and actually have some thoughts on the shaft later.

For workability, this is the interesting one for me if you have been following in here. I still have to work to hit a draw, and I mean a true draw, not a ****** swing hook. This is crazy for me because in the scoring clubs its always been the one place I can turn a ball over on command most of the time. Here though, its the most neutral flight ever. What with the weight that was moved from the heel of the club to get the CG more to the middle, it makes sense that it doesnt want to turn over as easily, but its still odd to see. I can grab my RTX4 54 Mid and make it move with ease, here though, straight. Its not a big deal, I just have to play it that way, and yes I'm seeing the same out of the 62.

Forgiveness

Its a bladed wedge, sooooooooo....forgiveness is going to be nominal compared to the CBX2's and similar. I do believe that the aforementioned thickeness behind the top of the wedge face as well as what they have done with the leading edge has made them extremely playable from a lot of spots. But, good swings are still rewared and bad punished, thats the nature of the beast with wedges.

That said, the redefined V grind on the Mid is effective. Though, I do miss the more defined V-Soles of the old RTX3's. I know they weren't Tour friendly, but man, they were amateur friendly. But, if you have listened to any of the #RangeDays shows, then you know if you would let me I would put a V-Sole on everything.

Distance and Spin

I plan on getting some comparisons to my SM8's eventually, but this go round I wanted to pit the RTX4 54 Mid vs the RTX ZC 54 Mid on full swings in particular on the Foresight GC2 and see what shook out. I hit them both indoors and out, tee and turf, and came to the following averages on 35 shot samples:

RTX4 54 Mid - 9743 RPM - 96.7 MPH Ball Speed - 31 Yard Peak - 120 Yard Carry - 51.6 Descent Angle - 6.4 L Offline
RTX ZC 54 Mid - 9564 RPM - 97.9 MPH Ball Speed - 32 Yard Peak - 122 Yard Carry - 51.9 Descent Angle - 1.2 L Offline

So, as you can see, a lot of what I discussed in previous sections is here too, namely the tendency of the ZC to, for me, want to just go as neutral/at-aim as possible, a 5.2 Yard difference there is a lot, we are talking 15.6 feet. Granted I would play for that on the course with the RTX4, but still, pretty point and shoot there...if you put a solid swing on the ball as always.

Bigger, I'm surprised that the new grooves on the ZC aren't getting as much spin on average as the pre-played Raw RTX4. So much so that I just kept hitting balls thinking I was crazy, but, the RTX4 put more 10,000+ RPM shots than the ZC as well for me in the 54 Mid. Now, I don't think this is a knock, in fact, I think the wedge MORE than makes up for it elsewhere, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Distance with the data above in the 54 Mid as well as in the 62 Low in partial swings seems to come REALLY easy for me, surprisingly so in fact. I'm not sure if others are seeing that, but the ball just wants to go with these for me, its most noticed in those 1/2 to 3/4 swings, so easy and then WHAM distance that makes me go 'woah' at times.

Non-Optimal Conditions

Now, for me, THIS is where the ZC more than makes up for the (again, for me) slightly lower spin than the RTX4 in full swings. These might be the best wedges in terms of grooves I have ever used from wet, thick, sandy, hardpan, bunker, mud, or whatever lies. I get more spin out of situations where I have been programmed to accept that you have to play for some roll than I would have ever anticipated. I have absolutely lost count so far how many times greenside in a questionable lie or super wet turf that I have played for the release only to see the ball hit and sit....HARD. All the hype about the weight shift is cool, and real, but the face tech is the rockstar for me so far. Big time.

Shaft

I think the new Spinner is solid, and I really want to know more about it from True Temper to be honest, because I have to think as a Tour Issue quality control design we are going to see them come to market soon, no? This is not the spinner of old. No crazy tapered mid. No multiple flights. Just a shaft that so far for me in full and touch swings has been amply responsive and the data is solid with it. No odd feel, no issues with stability. I think these deserve a hard look before just shucking them for those that are going to buy upon release. I mean that.

Now, more soon, I have more golf the next few days, and as always, I'm here for discussion and questions! And well done so far to all the other reviewers!

Question: Is there a way to know how much of the spin is generated by technique, design, and shaft? For instance, is it 50% design characteristics (CG, grooves, etc)? How much does shaft matter? I have always played stock shafts in my wedges (currently still gaming Cleveland RTX-3 CBs)

Question: Is there a way to know how much of the spin is generated by technique, design, and shaft? For instance, is it 50% design characteristics (CG, grooves, etc)? How much does shaft matter? I have always played stock shafts in my wedges (currently still gaming Cleveland RTX-3 CBs)
My opinion is that all 3 are necessary...with the big majority being technique

Took some pictures of the RTX ZipCore and RTX4 together, highlighting the bounce. Note the Zipcore has a more C-shaped parting line of the the "V" from heel to toe. The RTX4 "V" is quite straight. The bounce radius on either side of the V, in particular the leading side, is more rounded on ZipCore. The peak of the V to my eye is perhaps slightly further back on the ZipCore as well.

I think these small changes are making the wedge play with a touch more effective bounce. Also a sidenote on how well the black finish on my RTX-4 last season - that wedge has about 25+ rounds of play on it and is used the most of my wedges. Very pleased with durability and appeal for those thinking of waiting on the black ZipCore models.

IMG_6940.jpgIMG_6948.jpgIMG_6950.jpgIMG_6962.jpgIMG_6968.jpg

Took some pictures of the RTX ZipCore and RTX4 together, highlighting the bounce. Note the Zipcore has a more C-shaped parting line of the the "V" from heel to toe. The RTX4 "V" is quite straight. The bounce radius on either side of the V, in particular the leading side, is more rounded on ZipCore. The peak of the V to my eye is perhaps slightly further back on the ZipCore as well.

I think these small changes are making the wedge play with a touch more effective bounce. Also a sidenote on how well the black finish on my RTX-4 last season - that wedge has about 25+ rounds of play on it and is used the most of my wedges. Very pleased with durability and appeal for those thinking of waiting on the black ZipCore models.

View attachment 8955413View attachment 8955414View attachment 8955415View attachment 8955416View attachment 8955417

That's really clean the zipcore, need to check that out in person, maybe.

That's really clean the zipcore, need to check that out in person, maybe.

Did I mention I've got a hall pass for the entirety of this upcoming weekend :cool::golf:

Will be getting a set of these when available in raw. Still deciding which bounce I want.

Not gonna lie... I miss the V sole.

I'm torn on personalizing them... should I do it? And if so, how far do I go?

UltiZip grooves are narrower, deeper, with sharper corner radius. This allows Cleveland to fit 19 total on the face instead of 17. Pictures to illustrate:

RTX Zipcore w/ UltiZip
IMG_6973.jpg

RTX4
IMG_6977.jpg

They can't always be clean ;). I'll update my prior comment comparing UltiZip to having ceramic rotors on your daily driver, a more apt analogy might be rain or snow tires with deeper tread and more siping to deal with adverse conditions. Either way, they have plenty of stop from the rough.

Reactions: JB
The ability to hit partial and full shots, from a variety of lies, with confidence, is making me rethink my wedge set up going forward. Just so versatile.

I have found the Zipcore is able to get more spin then I expected out of the rough.

Sorry if this has been addressed in the previous pages but does anyone know when the raw version will be made available? I’ve been in the market for new wedges this year and haven’t had a chance get fit anywhere yet. Well after seeing the ZipCore reviews, I definitely want to include them in the fitting session but I prefer raw wedges if available. Strictly cosmetic but I love the weathered and “gamed” look of them.

I have found the Zipcore is able to get more spin then I expected out of the rough.
I definitely saw this in my round. Full or partial shots from the rough still produced a good amount of spin.

I wanted to follow up on my comment from this past weekend about this guy being deadly from 100-105 yards.

With my RTX-4 I really struggled to get consistent distances out of it from that 100 yard range. I don’t know why, I just struggled.

In the couple of weeks of having this new club (54*) I’m getting around 100-105 every time. Both shots I had from this distance on Sunday, I flagged them.

This is huge for me and I hope it continues.

Back