First time ferrule turner here. Help

AverageJoe

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I bought a felt belt for my 1x30 sander and the club holding stand from golfworks and attempted to turn the ferrules on a set of clubs I have. I have a HF belt/disc sander and the belt is setup on the left side so I found it kind of awkward to rotate the club with my left hand and not sure I was rotating is fast enough. I was trying to apply light pressure since it was my first time so I didnt get any deep gouges, still had a couple I had to fix.

For you that are seasoned at it, what advice would you give to help a rookie out? Ive watched several youtube videos and it looks easy enough but I found it to be somewhat a challenge.

I also found using a ribbon belt sander a little awkward for that. Usually, I wrap the top of the hosel with electrical tape (to keep from scratching it), put the shaft in a shaft clamp and cut a 3/4 inch strip of 400 grit sandpaper, working the strip back and forth and evenly around. When you're close to matching the diameter of the hosel, you can use a finer grit to smooth the finish. Then wipe the ferrule with grip solvent to clean it up. That's how I do it, anyway. It's not as time consuming as you might think.

IMG_1270.jpeg
Just need a stand to hold the club. Set up a demo here. The belt goes towards me from the top and I turn the club head into the belt twirling it with just the index finger and thumb to rotate easily. Just requires practice to get it down. If close you can use acetone to wipe down till it removes enough material to be smooth.

It’s been awhile, but the belt not against the vertical “guide” is key. Might be stating the obvious.

33CF20B4-06E4-4AE3-8FEF-B50C803D1B1B.jpeg

It’s been awhile, but the belt not against the vertical “guide” is key. Might be stating the obvious.

View attachment 9236463
Different than sharpening a knife, you’ll use the tension of the belt to help adjust the pressure depending on the amount of material you’re removing.

View attachment 9236453
Just need a stand to hold the club. Set up a demo here. The belt goes towards me from the top and I turn the club head into the belt twirling it with just the index finger and thumb to rotate easily. Just requires practice to get it down. If close you can use acetone to wipe down till it removes enough material to be smooth.

I purchased a stand from golfworks and used it, I just couldnt manage to get a smooth twirling rhythm going.

I turn the club with my right hand, turning into the belt (turning away from me) until I get the ferrule flush with the hosel. Then I turn the club with the belt (turning towards me) to polish the ferrule. If absolutely necessary I finish with a little acetone and a clean cotton rag like an old t shirt.

I turn the club with my right hand, turning into the belt (turning away from me) until I get the ferrule flush with the hosel. Then I turn the club with the belt (turning towards me) to polish the ferrule. If absolutely necessary I finish with a little acetone and a clean cotton rag like an old t shirt.
To add to this, why not just wet a paper towel with acetone and give the ferrule a quick spin? Way less ability to gouge the plastic

To add to this, why not just wet a paper towel with acetone and give the ferrule a quick spin? Way less ability to gouge the plastic
Because sometimes the ferrule diameter is a fair bit bigger than the hosel, requiring the removal of quite a bit of material. It can be done with acetone alone but takes a long time. Proper use of the belt is quick and very effective.

Because sometimes the ferrule diameter is a fair bit bigger than the hosel, requiring the removal of quite a bit of material. It can be done with acetone alone but takes a long time. Proper use of the belt is quick and very effective.
Oh, fair point about the diameter. I haven’t had that happen too often, but I acknowledge that’s a thing.

Acetone would take forever.

Oh, fair point about the diameter. I haven’t had that happen too often, but I acknowledge that’s a thing.

I always use acetone after a belt to give the ferrule the best shine.

Freaking love these threads. So much useful information!

Club building is also just the best!

Great thread, I always wonder with BF&F or similar aftermarket ferrules, does anyone ever thin out the ferrule on the grip side so there is not such a large step down from ferrule to shaft. I find a regular OEM ferrule sits very close to the shaft (tapers down) on grip end but my BF&F is much thicker than new OEM ferrule on the grip side.

Other BF&F applications I have seen in pictures or in for sale iron listings are similar to mine. Thoughts?

So the acetone will bring the “shine” of the plastic back after sanding?

Thanks for all the advice folks!

So the acetone will bring the “shine” of the plastic back after sanding?
Yes, gives it a nice sheen. If you want full you can just leave it be.

Great thread, I always wonder with BF&F or similar aftermarket ferrules, does anyone ever thin out the ferrule on the grip side so there is not such a large step down from ferrule to shaft. I find a regular OEM ferrule sits very close to the shaft (tapers down) on grip end but my BF&F is much thicker than new OEM ferrule on the grip side.

Other BF&F applications I have seen in pictures or in for sale iron listings are similar to mine. Thoughts?
I can honestly say having installed WAAAAAAAAAY too many BB&F ferrules and turned them all down, I’ve never noticed that.

Acetone isn’t that bad when you have a system. I turn 95% of mine down by hand with acetone.

Acetone isn’t that bad when you have a system. I turn 95% of mine down by hand with acetone.
There is something about that shine 😍

I always turned them with acetone and an old t shirt. Never had a belt sander. Now that I’m at GG I almost never use acetone, always the belt. Usually don’t need to use acetone.

I always turned them with acetone and an old t shirt. Never had a belt sander. Now that I’m at GG I almost never use acetone, always the belt. Usually don’t need to use acetone.
I’ve got a full belt sander setup, I just prefer to do it by hand

I bought a sander and don't quite have the knack for it yet. Prefer to do by hand but one example is BB&F ferrules are way oversized compared to Tour Edge wedges.

A little trick I discovered for finishing (after turning) is to use some medium guitar finish polish. I'm sure there are less specialty polishes that would work I just happened to have this. Gets them smooth and shiny without having to be perfect with the acetone.

Back