jrex1434

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been an avid fly fisherman for about 5 years now, it is always my go to when I need a good head clearing day. There is nothing like being on the river in the middle of a hatch throwing a bug you tied at some big brown trout.

Are any of you fly fisherman as well?

I'm a bug slinger too, not much better than standing in a river filled with wild Trout escaping life and all that comes with it for a few hours or days lol.

Started fly fishing with my dad back in the driftless when I was 6. I don't get out enough now that I golf.

Saltwater fly slinger here. Hit the flats and eaches in southeast FL. Would love to hit some sweetwater in the mountains with my 4 weight.

Just started fly-fishing with my Father who is an avid fisherman. It is my last summer living at home while in college so I figured it would be good to spend as much time as possible together. We fish on the Au Sable River I hear is great to fish on.

Man the Au sable is legendary as far as trout water goes, enjoy that time with your pops there's no doubt those memories will serve you both well as you get older.

I have been an avid fly fisherman for about 5 years now, it is always my go to when I need a good head clearing day. There is nothing like being on the river in the middle of a hatch throwing a bug you tied at some big brown trout.

Are any of you fly fisherman as well?
Not a fly fisherman yet, but I just recently took up fresh water fishing. Figured it was a good alternative with the kids as an outdoor activity and can be calming at times.

Post via Taptalk

When I lived near Cadillac, I fished almost every day. Now that I'm in Lansing and no trout water nearby, I golf.

Im into fly slingin' big time. I moved to Colorado just to be in the thick of it. Few things better than a solitary day on the river, hearing only the sound of the water rushing by.

I've been spending so much time on the golf course this summer I haven't had a chance to get out as much as I would like. But out big hex hatch just so happens to be around the same time I have vacation.... So I will be disappearing to the Au Sable for a few days ��

I've been spending so much time on the golf course this summer I haven't had a chance to get out as much as I would like. But out big hex hatch just so happens to be around the same time I have vacation.... So I will be disappearing to the Au Sable for a few days ?
Love it! Can't miss those great hatches.

Our rivers are all blown out right now, so I plan on throwing streamers for trout in some high mountain lakes near me. Won't catch much of any size, but usually can catch a cutthroat or two and keep a couple rainbows for dinner. Always a nice way to spend an evening

I love fly fishing but I do most of my time on ponds and lakes going after bass and panfish. I am about 3 hours from the nearest trout waters so its kind of hard to go after them that often.

I love fly fishing but I do most of my time on ponds and lakes going after bass and panfish. I am about 3 hours from the nearest trout waters so its kind of hard to go after them that often.
Nothing wrong with that! First fish I caught on a fly rod were smallmouth on a frog popper. You have great flyfishing as far as I'm concerned. I bet you're not too far from some good bone fishing too, right?

I love flyfishing! I don't get to do as much as I would like but really cherish my time on the stream.

Nothing wrong with that! First fish I caught on a fly rod were smallmouth on a frog popper. You have great flyfishing as far as I'm concerned. I bet you're not too far from some good bone fishing too, right?

I'm exactly halfway between the mountains and the coast so its about 3 hours each way depending on traffic.

There is supposed to be some good water about 2 hrs from me (I'm in Mooresville). I've been to the Smokies a few times already this year and there's just some magic in those mountains, the fish aren't big but man they are beautiful. Most of the time it's not even about the fish.

There is supposed to be some good water about 2 hrs from me (I'm in Mooresville). I've been to the Smokies a few times already this year and there's just some magic in those mountains, the fish aren't big but man they are beautiful. Most of the time it's not even about the fish.
That's exactly it Trouter, time on the water is as much about a chance to just ponder life as it watching a dry fly settle on the riffles. For me a dancing royal coachman, green drake, or light Cahill ibrings peace to my mind.

That's exactly it Trouter, time on the water is as much about a chance to just ponder life as it watching a dry fly settle on the riffles. For me a dancing royal coachman, green drake, or light Cahill ibrings peace to my mind.

I think it was John Muir that said the mountains are calling and I must go lol, that's exactly how it goes down. There's a nice Cahill hatch on the Oconoluftee that is small but just perfect.

What's everyone's go to fly when on new water? I usually use a 16 or 18 tan caddis with a size 18 pheasant tail nymph dropper. It proves to be pretty successful more often that not until I get the bugs figured out.

I think it was John Muir that said the mountains are calling and I must go lol, that's exactly how it goes down. There's a nice Cahill hatch on the Oconoluftee that is small but just perfect.

What's everyone's go to fly when on new water? I usually use a 16 or 18 tan caddis with a size 18 pheasant tail nymph dropper. It proves to be pretty successful more often that not until I get the bugs figured out.

Tan caddis is a go to on new water for sure. PTs are good too, as are pink squirrels. I pretty much stay on top tho. I've never gotten over the PITA factor of a dropper and prefer the neater set-up of one fly. It's never really hindered me.

Not much fly fishing waters here in NW Ohio, but usually make it down to TN four or five times a year. Wish I had better waters around here. What a great way to relax. It's all fun until it's time for new tipet. Lol

I usually start with a size 12 royal stimulator with a #14 prince nymph off the back. I usually fish the eddies in the pocket water and will catch equal amounts on each fly. Fishing the pockets is tough and physical but the fish are willing and I'm usually by myself. Tough to get that on the main rivers out here.

Between work, golf, and fishing the last few weeks have been a complete blurrrr. It's been about 3 weeks now since I fished the heavy Hex hatches for mammoth Browns on the holy waters of the Au Sable. This past week I was able to get out and throw small elks haired Cadis and hoppers for rainbows on the Trophy water stretch of the Au Sable. I was hoping to get out and try to nail a few skams on the west side of Michigan, but with the amount of time I have doing other things I am quite limited. I'd love to come down south and fish some of those mountain trout waters, that'd be to die for

Between work, golf, and fishing the last few weeks have been a complete blurrrr. It's been about 3 weeks now since I fished the heavy Hex hatches for mammoth Browns on the holy waters of the Au Sable. This past week I was able to get out and throw small elks haired Cadis and hoppers for rainbows on the Trophy water stretch of the Au Sable. I was hoping to get out and try to nail a few skams on the west side of Michigan, but with the amount of time I have doing other things I am quite limited. I'd love to come down south and fish some of those mountain trout waters, that'd be to die for

I was on the South Branch of the Au Sable today and caught a few small Brookie's.... There were so many canoers today so I left early afternoon.

I'm jealous of you guys, I've been wanting to get on the Au Sable for a long time but haven't had the opportunity to get there yet. The water in the Smokies has been low and clear, they get some afternoon storms but it's that sneaky summer fishing and a lot of the times it's a judgment call on whether to stress the fish or not.

I'm hoping to get back to the DC Baltimore area again soon so I can hit up some tailwater that stays pretty cold all year.

I'm jealous of you guys, I've been wanting to get on the Au Sable for a long time but haven't had the opportunity to get there yet. The water in the Smokies has been low and clear, they get some afternoon storms but it's that sneaky summer fishing and a lot of the times it's a judgment call on whether to stress the fish or not.

I'm hoping to get back to the DC Baltimore area again soon so I can hit up some tailwater that stays pretty cold all year.

You should make a trip up here, there is also many beautiful golf courses in Northern Michigan, Forest Dunes is a top 100 national course and is about 10 minutes from the Au Sable.

Back