You should make a trip up here, there is also many beautiful golf courses in Northern Michigan, Forest Dunes is a top 100 national course and is about 10 minutes from the Au Sable.

I'm hoping to make it up there one day, I've heard so many good things about the trout fishing up there and now the golf has me intrigued. How's the weather in the fall?

Usually in the 50's but who knows. We have had snow storms in October, I have also played golf on Christmas Eve! The fall in Michigan is beautiful though, with the trees changing colors you won't find a much more scenic place!

Spent last weekend on the stream. I needed a break from golf. I had to relearn how to NOT keep score.

Spent last weekend on the stream. I needed a break from golf. I had to relearn how to NOT keep score.
I did the same. Two days of fishing in a row and it was fantastic to be on the water again. I still keep score though lol

It's about time for Michigan's Fall Salmon run on the west side of the state, I have been seeing pictures of a few river kings getting caught already and now the itch is on! There is nothing like having a 20+ lb Chrome King smash a 6" streamer

I'm heading to some good water this weekend for some much needed R&R, the last few months have been filled with nonstop travel and very long days and tomorrow I'll finally be home for some consecutive days. I'll post some pics, the trout will be small but they will be wild and full of beautiful color. Nothing like Bamboo and coffee on a trout stream.

The Big boy!!
~[/URL

Nothing has the color that a native brook trout. Great day on the stream Trout!

Looks good. Been spending more time on the stream myself here in the driftless.

Wow! The rare eastern wild rainbow!!! Those are rather hard to come by out there! Great catch!

Wow! The rare eastern wild rainbow!!! Those are rather hard to come by out there! Great catch!

In the Smokies they are the primary species in most of the streams, we have Browns down low and Brookies higher up just like you guys but you guys have the Cuts. I've been dying to get out west and hit some of those streams in the Rockies.

I think it was John Muir that said the mountains are calling and I must go lol, that's exactly how it goes down. There's a nice Cahill hatch on the Oconoluftee that is small but just perfect.

What's everyone's go to fly when on new water? I usually use a 16 or 18 tan caddis with a size 18 pheasant tail nymph dropper. It proves to be pretty successful more often that not until I get the bugs figured out.
royalwulff, hopper or caddis on the arkansas and bwo, wulff, trico on the platte

what kind of bamboo you got there troutbum?

what kind of bamboo you got there troutbum?

That one is a 7"4 4 weight built by a guy in boiling springs PA named Bill Dekkle, it was his first build and I've had it for many years. I have a cane T&T 7"6 4 wt classic that is a great dry fly rod and I'll use it for spinner falls or midges in the fall.

I have some graphite but for some reason the slow lazy motion of bamboo just simply brings me to a comfortable place on the water.

I just bought a South Bend off ebay and am eyeballing a Hardy.

I just bought a South Bend off ebay and am eyeballing a Hardy.

Awesome, I'm a fan of the southbend rods, really underrated. I don't know much about Hardy other than the reels but from the little I've read about the rods they sound fantastic. What is your primary rod out there? how big is the water?

Awesome, I'm a fan of the southbend rods, really underrated. I don't know much about Hardy other than the reels but from the little I've read about the rods they sound fantastic. What is your primary rod out there? how big is the water?
Usually need a fast action 5wt on the bigger water out here due to the wind. I have a 3wt for the smaller high mountain streams. Can get water anywhere from trickles with beaver pond after beaver pond to rivers 100+ feet wide. You can find any stream type you like out here pretty much.

Usually need a fast action 5wt on the bigger water out here due to the wind. I have a 3wt for the smaller high mountain streams. Can get water anywhere from trickles with beaver pond after beaver pond to rivers 100+ feet wide. You can find any stream type you like out here pretty much.
gotta agree with this here. My go to rod is a Winston IM6,but really looking forward to getting my Southbend wet.

Had nobody to golf with in Denver yesterday coupled with some brutal traffic on I-70 going into the mountain so I decided to get lost in the mountains and find a spot to fish. After a couple of hours traversing some pretty gnarly single lane dirt roads, I stumbled up South Boulder Creek near the Historic Moffat Railroad Tunnel.

I only fished here for about 20 minutes and caught one small brownie.

e9e45f797c9181f5c1f0c350f4c3902a.jpg

Next, I headed farther north and found Middle Boulder Creek at the base of Indian Peaks Wilderness. This spot was right in my wheelhouse so I fished it for a couple of hours. I caught a pile of nice brookies and a few cutts too.

This is maybe the prettiest brookie I've caught

1105727328b99e9521bae07b2a84932e.jpg

d5606706ae399c1550b5a096207e42a9.jpg

1f2d5b9517b210e482d1dda4c3e68c64.jpg

95b31b8d7456a890a62dc170a9a64a85.jpg

e116177f86dc0dee410eae3edbdeb04f.jpg

fc0587c6eab0f53ffffa0ef007ffe3bb.jpg

8243314727b4d2eca37fe746b389cb5e.jpg

For an audible, this was a heck of a good trip!

​Very nice!

Good stuff dude, beautiful fish up there and that brookie is coming into som fine fall color

Had nobody to golf with in Denver yesterday coupled with some brutal traffic on I-70 going into the mountain so I decided to get lost in the mountains and find a spot to fish. After a couple of hours traversing some pretty gnarly single lane dirt roads, I stumbled up South Boulder Creek near the Historic Moffat Railroad Tunnel.

I only fished here for about 20 minutes and caught one small brownie.

e9e45f797c9181f5c1f0c350f4c3902a.jpg

Next, I headed farther north and found Middle Boulder Creek at the base of Indian Peaks Wilderness. This spot was right in my wheelhouse so I fished it for a couple of hours. I caught a pile of nice brookies and a few cutts too.

This is maybe the prettiest brookie I've caught

1105727328b99e9521bae07b2a84932e.jpg

d5606706ae399c1550b5a096207e42a9.jpg

1f2d5b9517b210e482d1dda4c3e68c64.jpg

95b31b8d7456a890a62dc170a9a64a85.jpg

e116177f86dc0dee410eae3edbdeb04f.jpg

fc0587c6eab0f53ffffa0ef007ffe3bb.jpg

8243314727b4d2eca37fe746b389cb5e.jpg

For an audible, this was a heck of a good trip!

Nice fish and water. I love it out there.

Season is winding down here, but made it out for a really good BWO hatch yesterday. Great day.

658fc77d2b2d4842e20be881b70f0d41.jpg

Back