For the right $ would Arnie, Jack, Trevino & Player have jumped leagues back in the day..?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
For the right price (back in their day) would guys like Palmer, Nicklaus, Player & Trevino have jumped leagues...?

I believe they would have, it's all just a matter of what the "right price" might have been. Everybody has a price.

For the right price (back in their day) would guys like Palmer, Nicklaus, Player & Trevino have jumped leagues...?
They did.

This isn't a hypothetical.

They did, but they wouldn't have played for the Saudis in 1968 because of the serious human rights issues.

Maybe - if they thought it was the right thing to do.

They did.
“Most golf historians trace the ‘formal’ beginning of the PGA TOUR to late 1968, when the “Tournament Players Division” split from the PGA of America and hired Joe Dey as its first commissioner. That organization became the modern-day PGA TOUR.” This quote is taken from the 2022/2023 PGA Tour Media Guide. Is this what you are referencing, James?

“Most golf historians trace the ‘formal’ beginning of the PGA TOUR to late 1968, when the “Tournament Players Division” split from the PGA of America and hired Joe Dey as its first commissioner. That organization became the modern-day PGA TOUR.” This quote is taken from the 2022/2023 PGA Tour Media Guide. Is this what you are referencing, James?
Yes, and those names broke off, with money a major reason why.

I wouldn't be quick to ascribe altruism to the "old school" golfers. They wanted to get paid too.

My sense is that Player would have jumped for a bag of balls and a handful of tees.

Some might cost a little....some might cost a lot.....but if you offered them a million dollars man....they would have been bought....mwhahahahahahahahahahah

1703114418286.jpeg

My sense is that Player would have jumped for a bag of balls and a handful of tees.
As little money as Player had in his early days you might be right. He used to wrap himself in a blanket and sleep in a bunker to save the motel room money. I remember reading a story about when Player first got over here after receiving an invitation to the Masters, which was still called the "Augusta National Invitational" IIRC. He got into a couple of Florida tournaments and met Nicklaus two weeks before the Masters. Nicklaus invited him to come to Augusta with him and practice.

Player said he needed to play in the next tournament to try to win enough money to afford to get to Augusta. Nicklaus told him that the week would be on him, and that he really needed to practice there because to go in cold would be suicide. He took Nicklaus up on his offer and cashed a nice check. He said he never forgot about what Jack did for him that time.

And it's not like pro golfers made all that much money back then. Heck, they were still dealing with stuff like not being allowed into the clubhouses of the private clubs where many of the tournaments were held. That was an opportunity for the golf club to make money! I also read another story about Nicklaus' and Palmer's playoff at Oakmont for the US Open in 1962. They were both in the locker room getting dressed and Palmer said to Nicklaus, "So, you want to split it or play it straight?"

Apparently this was a common practice back in the day when all playoffs were 18 holes on Monday. They could go out and play stress free golf knowing that they were splitting the pot. Nicklaus thought about it a little bit and said that he wanted to play it straight. Palmer told him that he thought that's what he would say!

They did.
All but Trevino, just listened to him on a podcast and he didn’t give up his card to join the “tournament player division” he wanted to be able to work at a course if he didn’t make money on the course.

All but Trevino, just listened to him on a podcast and he didn’t give up his card to join the “tournament player division” he wanted to be able to work at a course if he didn’t make money on the course.
He also made more than the rest hustling hahaha

I think all the best golfers in the world are trying to be just that: the BEST golfers in the world.

I have no doubt these old school guys would do it. Or at least strongly consider it. If they still feel like they can be among the best golfers in the world and get paid substantially more then why not?

I love this question though. Props for posting it!

It is kind of how the PGA tour was born.
This is the answer ^^^
We have become so accustomed to the modern state of the game it’s all we know and think it’s been this way forever. Not true. There was a prior system. The players found / created a new method that paid them more and did a better job of meeting their needs.

When don't players in any sport think they deserve more money when they see the stacks in the back room?

Of course they would. Oh wait, they did.

This is the answer ^^^
We have become so accustomed to the modern state of the game it’s all we know and think it’s been this way forever. Not true. There was a prior system. The players found / created a new method that paid them more and did a better job of meeting their needs.
Thanks. My response was actually a bit loose with respect to the OP‘s question, so I am glad folks tied things together. It wasn’t really called the PGA tour when it was first founded in late 60’s, and to be honest I couldn’t think of the original name, so I just went with PGA tour. 👍

In 1940 20 of the 28 tour events were Opens. I can’t find info about qualifying but I doubt it was an easy life. I can’t find info about full purses but most winners took home between $500-1400. It seems likely only a small number of guys got paid. Top 10? Again, not an easy life. I think it would be an easy call to take guaranteed money and a softer schedule.

That is a generation of golfers before the OPs question - Nelson, Snead and Hogan instead of Palmer, Jack and Palmer. But that’s the system they came into / from.

Back