For those that this applies to…Why do you “prefer a milled putter” to an insert?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Always curious about this when I read through threads like @JB ‘s about what your favorite insert is and we get a hundred replied of “preferring milled”, it is interesting, particularly when the majority of the best players on the planet use inserts. Why is it you prefer milled?

I’d say feel thing, but we know that inserts and milled can vary a lot depending on the tech, thickness, patterns, etc….

For me, I just like that “hotter off the club face” feeling that I get with the milled putters I use compared to the insert putters that I use

The more muted sound and the bounciness of inserts turn me off.

Last edited:
  • Staff
The more muted sound and the bounciness
Compared to which inserts though? One could argue there’s no more muted or bouncy than the WHP insert, no?

I’m a milled guy, but this conversation is always fascinating to me.

Switched to milled last year. It feels more solid to me. Whatever that means. I’m not sure but I like it

For me, the perception is feel and consistency. Whether that is the reality.......

Compared to which inserts though? One could argue there’s no more muted or bouncy than the WHP insert, no?

I’m a milled guy, but this conversation is always fascinating to me.
The muted sound and bounciness is what I don't like about inserts. White hot insert is the worst. I can't wrap my head around why it's so popular, especially with pros.

Thats why options are good.

• Staff
The muted sound and bounciness is what I don't like about inserts. White hot insert is the worst. I can't wrap my head around why it's so popular, especially with pros.

Thats why options are good.
Ah. With the thread title being what it is it reads like those are why you prefer a milled putter, for those things.

And no one has ever said options aren’t good here, nor will they.

I just like the look of it. I don’t “feel” much in my hands when putting, so I go with the milled because they look better IMO.

I prefer milled because I like the feel, and also seem to control the ball better.

There have been a few insert putters that I’ve tried and kind of liked but, mental block or not, I alway seem to gravitate towards milled.

While it may be a majority that play inserts, amongst the top 100 players, it is much closer than that (almost 50/50). With that said, I prefer the pop off the face with a milled putter. Much better sound and for me, consistency. Looks better also.

I prefer milled because I like the feel, and also seem to control the ball better.

There have been a few insert putters that I’ve tried and kind of liked but, mental block or not, I alway seem to gravitate towards milled.
Comfort matters! Fair answer.

While it may be a majority that play inserts, amongst the top 100 players, it is much closer than that (almost 50/50). With that said, I prefer the pop off the face with a milled putter. Much better sound and for me, consistency. Looks better also.
Is it? I’d love to see those receipts wherever they are?

I’ve never been able to control distance when I testing putters with a insert. Along with that, I don’t really like the feel either.

For me the preference for either is minimal and all comes down to feel for me. I feel for me on Milled faces the ball comes off the face hotter.

Is it? I’d love to see those receipts wherever they are?
At least with the top 10 OWGR ("official world"), from what I can tell it is 6-4 in favor of milled currently. I'm not going through the top 100 off the top of my head though lol.

Milled: Scottie, Hovland, Cantlay, Schauffele now, Fitz, Homa

insert: Rory, Rahm, Harman, Clark

If you go over to the Euro tour though, I believe Odyssey becomes a landslide victor in that department and then inserts become much more prevalent.

Feel and just being used to how to control the speed. I’ve tried many inserts and never control distance as well. I putt really well with milled anyway.

At least with the top 10 OWGR ("official world"), from what I can tell it is 6-4 in favor of milled currently. I'm not going through the top 100 off the top of my head though lol.

Milled: Scottie, Hovland, Cantlay, Schauffele now, Fitz, Homa

insert: Rory, Rahm, Harman, Clark
But that’s the top 10, not the Tour as a whole, where Odyssey IS the most played putter in golf…and some of those SC’s are technically inserts as well, and TM too. Then you throw in other Tours and it slants even more.

It’s a fun conversation.

I just like hearing more of that solid sound that I lose with some inserts. The solid sound, to various degrees, always happens with milled in my experience. It also happens in some inserts but not others. So I’m a bit of a fence sitter.

I have no issue with a metal insert but if materials start to move the ‘squishiness’ can get to me.

I switched to my Seemore at the end of the year for the RST which has been god for me, but I find myself wondering what it would be like with an insert instead of milled. Milled is ok for me, but I still think overall I like inserts. Interested in everyone’s answer here, to see if I’m seeing any of the same now that I’m back in milled for the moment.

They’re prettier!!!

Back