For those that this applies to…Why do you “prefer a milled putter” to an insert?

I prefer the consistency I get from a milled putter face. Years ago I tried an Anser model with an insert and just felt like I couldn't control the speed. The ball springs off an inserted putter, but with milled the pop is the same every time.

the best feeling putter I have is my SC Squareback2 but I can't make a putt with it to save my life. Distance control is completely non existent. I guess I just need to stick with insert putters.

For whatever reason, I've struggled with distance control with insert putters. Plus, I like a little "click" with milled. I don't know why, just do.

The feedback you get from a milled putter is tough to replicate with an insert.

What specifically do you like/need about it?
I think I am in the minority when it comes to "feedback" in a putter.

I dont want to hear it, prefer not to feel anything (thicker grip helps), I just want it to roll the ball true and on my intended line.

What specifically do you like/need about it?
I like being able to immediately tell if I mis hit the putt. I am not really able to put in to words but I like they type of feel and feedback received.

I like being able to immediately tell if I mis hit the putt. I am not really able to put in to words but I like they type of feel and feedback received.
I’ve always found that interesting since missed on a putter are typically minuscule, and if they’re not the person is likely using a mallet anyway 😜

I think I am in the minority when it comes to "feedback" in a putter.

I dont want to hear it, prefer not to feel anything (thicker grip helps), I just want it to roll the ball true and on my intended line.
Yup, I’m King of the putter nerds/addicts here for the past decade plus and I have a sound I prefer, but it’s not about feedback on where I strike putts, I know where I’m striking a putt even with headphones in.

I’ve always found that interesting since missed on a putter are typically minuscule, and if they’re not the person is likely using a mallet anyway 😜
small yes, but noticeable. It may be anecdotal but I feel speed control off a milled putter is better as well. Well..for now anyway.. We will see if the holds true for the future.

small yes, but noticeable. It may be anecdotal but I feel speed control off a milled putter is better as well. Well..for now anyway.. We will see if the holds true for the future.
It’s that old feel isn’t real adage we see in golf so often, because testing typically shows the opposite when it comes to distance control, part of why they’re so popular on Tour.

until cutting my putter down this weekend I used every millimeter of the putter face! I never realized how much the length of the putter could throw a stroke off.

until cutting my putter down this weekend I used every millimeter of the putter face! I never realized how much the length of the putter could throw a stroke off.
Were you full swinging it?

I kid! I kid! 🤣

It’s that old feel isn’t real adage we see in golf so often, because testing typically shows the opposite when it comes to distance control, part of why they’re so popular on Tour.
Sure. I think we are lied to or fooled all the time by golf equipment. But, it does not change the fact of that is how I perceive it and that is a feel regardless of how real it is.

I think insert putters are far more popular universally. Golfers tend to really like soft soft feel at impact. Pretty much across the board and through the bag.

I think in many ways this is completely meaningless but for the sake of conversation the top 20 golfers in the world it is heavier on the milled side.

12 - milled
7 - insert
1 - both

1. Scheffler - Milled
2. Rory - insert
3. Rahm - insert
4. Hoveland - milled
5. Cantlay - milled
6. Xander - Milled
7. Fitzpatrick - milled
8. Homa - milled
9. Harmon - insert
10. Clark - insert
11. Kim - milled
12. Hatton - milled
13. Morikawa - insert
14. Spieth - milled
15. Fleeto - Insert
16. Young - milled
17. Bradley - insert
18. Koepka - milled insert lol.
19. Smith - Milled
20. Burns - milled.

Sure. I think we are lied to or fooled all the time by golf equipment. But, it does not change the fact of that is how I perceive it and that is a feel regardless of how real it is.

I think insert putters are far more popular universally. Golfers tend to really like soft soft feel at impact. Pretty much across the board and through the bag.

I think in many ways this is completely meaningless but for the sake of conversation the top 20 golfers in the world it is heavier on the milled side.

12 - milled
7 - insert
1 - both

1. Scheffler - Milled
2. Rory - insert
3. Rahm - insert
4. Hoveland - milled
5. Cantlay - milled
6. Xander - Milled
7. Fitzpatrick - milled
8. Homa - milled
9. Harmon - insert
10. Clark - insert
11. Kim - milled
12. Hatton - milled
13. Morikawa - insert
14. Spieth - milled
15. Fleeto - Insert
16. Young - milled
17. Bradley - insert
19. Smith - Milled
20. Burns - milled.
And on the Tour as a whole Odyssey is the top played by a large margin, and would be more if not for SC’s weekly pay to play pool.

Vanity. Not a joke, I think they look better.

And I do prefer the sound.

But I have more milled putters than inserts simply because I like the way they look better and that unlocked some weird mental thing in my head that makes me at the very least think I putt better with them, even if the numbers don't back it up.

And on the Tour as a whole Odyssey is the top played by a large margin, and would be more if not for SC’s weekly pay to play pool.

Not disputing that at all. And in public, far more insert then not out in the wild..

12 - milled
7 - insert
1 - both

1. Scheffler - Milled
2. Rory - insert
3. Rahm - insert
4. Hoveland - milled
5. Cantlay - milled
6. Xander - Milled
7. Fitzpatrick - milled
8. Homa - milled
9. Harmon - insert
10. Clark - insert
11. Kim - milled
12. Hatton - milled
13. Morikawa - insert
14. Spieth - milled
15. Fleeto - Insert
16. Young - milled
17. Bradley - insert
19. Smith - Milled
20. Burns - milled.
This list is always changing too I feel like though. For example, both Rory and Morikawa switched to milled at some point in the season, and Rory goes back and forth.

And maybe Scottie should try switching to an insert just to see what happens.

Vanity. Not a joke, I think they look better.

And I do prefer the sound.

But I have more milled putters than inserts simply because I like the way they look better and that unlocked some weird mental thing in my head that makes me at the very least think I putt better with them, even if the numbers don't back it up.
I think vanity may be the most honest answer there is in here to be honest, and there’s nothing wrong with that!

Not disputing that at all. And in public, far more insert then not out in the wild..
It’s why that top 20 list is a moot point though.

It’s why that top 20 list is a moot point though.

As I said, It was meaningless. Just more added for conversation.

Every titleist staffer is going to be milled. Every ping staffer is going to be milled 99$ of your Taylormade staff are going to be inserts if they use a TM putter. if they do not have to play putter from the OEM you will see a ton of Scotty's and Odysseys. Callaway staffers seem to mostly be Odyssey with the minority having played their milled offerings and a few proto one offs in there.

This season I switched from a milled putter over to an insert and I’ve proceeded to have the best putting of my life.

Now a lot of other things have changed in my putting as well, graphite shaft, more repeatable stroke, and an ass ton of practice.

But I think moving to a more forgiving putter option packed with tech has been a large portion of the change. I know I need all the help I can get with putting. Getting a head with an insert and a graphite shaft has helped ‘Deaden’ the feel off the face and that, for whatever reason works for me.

Were you full swinging it?

I kid! I kid! 🤣
lol, no, but with 35" putter it looked like Willy Z trying to make a 4 footer.

Back