For those that this applies to…Why do you “prefer a milled putter” to an insert?

But that’s the top 10, not the Tour as a whole, where Odyssey IS the most played putter in golf…and some of those SC’s are technically inserts as well, and TM too. Then you throw in other Tours and it slants even more.

It’s a fun conversation.
Oh absolutely, the top 10 to 20 makes a fun mallet vs blade conversation too.

For me, I like the sound of a milled face compared to most inserts. I know it’s a personal preference and probably a mental thing, but I have more confidence when I hear that knowing I struck the ball well.

I can barely hear the ball coming off the putter with a plain putter face. Inserts make the sound even softer. I'd rather hear it than not.

But I don't really care about "milled". Just a plain stainless steel or manganese bronze face on a cast putter with no milling is fine with me. All of the putters I currently own are 50-year-old (give or take) Ping Ansers from back before anyone thought to mill the faces and charge extra for it!

Always curious about this when I read through threads like @JB ‘s about what your favorite insert is and we get a hundred replied of “preferring milled”, it is interesting, particularly when the majority of the best players on the planet use inserts. Why is it you prefer milled?
Because the greens I play aren't nearly as fast as the ones the best players on the planet play, and I don't need a dead insert to kill putt speed.
I really like the feel of a forged and milled putter as well.

Because the greens I play aren't nearly as fast as the ones the best players on the planet play, and I don't need a dead insert to kill putt speed.
I really like the feel of a forged and milled putter as well.
Fun fact, they don’t kill speed.

I seem to end up in milled because the model putter I like (at this moment in time) seems to only come in milled🤷‍♂️.

I notice very little difference in performance, and tend to prefer for three reasons:

1 - I prefer the overall look of milled
2 - I think it sounds/feels better
3 - i had an insert get a stain/mark on it once, and couldnt get it off.... and it really bothered me

Right or wrong, I think milled means higher end. Higher end makes feel special.

I seem to end up in milled because the model putter I like (at this moment in time) seems to only come in milled🤷‍♂️.
I feel this in my bones.

I used to not like milled and loved the white hot insert. I then got used to the milled firmer feel and played the white hot yesterday and it felt muted and “mushy” playing with chrome soft.

I can easily get used to softer insert again, but think I will like an insert with a little firmer feel.

Tad Moore was the guy who really started milled putters. They are more accurate and consistent head to head. He never understood the insert craze. Why would you want to mute feedback from your putt? I can tell by feeling and listening if a putt is thin or off center or pure. Inserts are a big dead spot in the face

I make more putts with a milled putter, that’s why.

Tad Moore was the guy who really started milled putters. They are more accurate and consistent head to head. He never understood the insert craze. Why would you want to mute feedback from your putt? I can tell by feeling and listening if a putt is thin or off center or pure. Inserts are a big dead spot in the face
This isn’t accurate as far as insets being less accurate. Not at all actually, and the data is out there on it.

Any numbers to back this up? I am genuinely curious.

Fun fact, they don’t kill speed.
Perhaps it's the lack of sound, the feeling of deadness. It sure seems as if I have to hit inserts more firmly.

I just like the feel better, and think my speed is more consistent. I know I’m 2 strokes per round better with my milled Cleveland vs the TriHot Triple Wide.

High five brother.

I use a milled brass putter and I really like the feel. It's very firm and frictionless, I haven't found many inserts like this

As in a certain shape in general, or due to the brand and shape?

This isn’t accurate as far as insets being less accurate. Not at all actually, and the data is out there on it.
I'm not claiming inserts are less accurate. They change the vibrations transmitted through the club though.

The process of milling a head was more accurate than cast or forged and ground heads. That was my point.

I'm not claiming inserts are less accurate. They change the vibrations transmitted through the club though.

The process of milling a head was more accurate than cast or forged and ground heads. That was my point.
Different face milling depths does the exact same thing.

To the second, it WAS, once upon a time…though Ping did pretty well casting putters all those years….

My last 3 putters have been inserts, but I prefer milled. It all comes down to feel. I haven't found an insert that doesn't feel "mushy" or "bouncy" to me. I don't like those feelings, and its makes it harder for me to gain feedback. Has nothing to do with what more pros use.

I am not sold on the majority of the best players using inserts though. Just browsing through the top 50, looks like the majority use milled at the moment.

Milled insert. Looks like Odyssey is getting on board with it.

As in a certain shape in general, or due to the brand and shape?

Right now I have Seemore the model i have only comes in milled. I didn’t pick it because its milled but because I like the shape and i putt well with it. If it had an insert I would still be playing it

I've played both and expect to continue to. I tend to pick head shape and tech over milled/insert. For all the insert putters I've tried/used, I would play a hypothetical milled version of that putter in each case. Most of the milled putters I've used I never though "I wish this had an insert." I guess anecdotally for me, there is a wider spectrum of feels with insert putters.

Back