Gary Player Signs with PXG and OnCore

Interesting to see people comment on Oncore signing GP. As far as I know they didn’t sign him, instead he became an investor (and thus an ambassador for the brand).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realize Player was so unpopular. I like the PXG move. I don't think it will sell clubs, but then again I don't think any club signing sells clubs.
This is the point that I didn't make well. Is there a big return on investment based on the current stars of the game? I talked some with Jose and Yagley at the Morgan Cup and they said the return on investment was hard to determine but they wanted their product out there. We went deeper discussing whether you needed a ton of stars playing their gear or just one or two. And that is with star players who get a lot more visibility playing the product. We also discussed the move of viewership to other channels (YouTube especially) and how golf companies are now sponsoring YouTube golfers with big followings as these are now showing a return on investment. (Prior to the event Cobra/Puma got a lot of visibility with the Alex Elliot Golf channel). I feel that those YouTube golf content creators get a lot more screen time and connect more directly with consumers than Gary who we hardly see swing a club anymore.
I assume a certain level of golf aficionado that would attend a Gary Player lesson or seminar would be interested in what clubs he uses. Also, while not the only logo on his bag, Callaway featured fairly prominently on his bag and hat for press and other photos.

Gary-Player-Callaway-Renewal.jpg

If PXG ended up on the side of the bag of a 9-time major winner who continues to spread the gospel of golf, I'd consider that a win.
This was enlightening for me. We all have players we are fans of but I was struggling to remember what drivers that Jack and Gary got with the ceremonial drives to start the Masters last year. I remember a story line of Rory helping Jack with his driver so I would guess Taylormade but I had no idea what clubs Gary was using until seeing your picture. And I'm a big fan of Jack Nicklaus. I would get a lesson with him in a heartbeat, but would trust a fitter to show me what to play. Alternatively, I know Peter Finch and the Me & My Golf boys are Adidas / Taylormade sponsored, Rick Shiels is nike (and has been playing Wilson irons though not sponsored), Crossfield is sponsored by Titleist, Buzza Golf is Callaway.. Etc. And I don't consume a ton of their content but have seen enough video logs to know. I'm just curious if this will bring the return they are hoping for because it doesn't move the needle at all for me personally.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How many hybrids with the Black Knight be playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the point that I didn't make well. Is there a big return on investment based on the current stars of the game? I talked some with Jose and Yagley at the Morgan Cup and they said the return on investment was hard to determine but they wanted their product out there. We went deeper discussing whether you needed a ton of stars playing their gear or just one or two. And that is with star players who get a lot more visibility playing the product. We also discussed the move of viewership to other channels (YouTube especially) and how golf companies are now sponsoring YouTube golfers with big followings as these are now showing a return on investment. (Prior to the event Cobra/Puma got a lot of visibility with the Alex Elliot Golf channel). I feel that those YouTube golf content creators get a lot more screen time and connect more directly with consumers than Gary who we hardly see swing a club anymore. This was enlightening for me. We all have players we are fans of but I was struggling to remember what drivers that Jack and Gary got with the ceremonial drives to start the Masters last year. I remember a story line of Rory helping Jack with his driver so I would guess Taylormade but I had no idea what clubs Gary was using until seeing your picture. And I'm a big fan of Jack Nicklaus. I would get a lesson with him in a heartbeat, but would trust a fitter to show me what to play. Alternatively, I know Peter Finch and the Me & My Golf boys are Adidas / Taylormade sponsored, Rick Shiels is nike (and has been playing Wilson irons though not sponsored), Crossfield is sponsored by Titleist, Buzza Golf is Callaway.. Etc. And I don't consume a ton of their content but have seen enough video logs to know. I'm just curious if this will bring the return they are hoping for because it doesn't move the needle at all for me personally.

Maybe it has to do with what a nerd I am (and that I'm a fan of Gary Player) but what I found most interesting is that he would leave Callaway. He's been a Callaway ambassador for, if I recall, a long time. Though I will admit he's the last of a dying breed in the sense of being a traveling salesman of golf. You're right, the future of golf ambassadorship is on social media, particularly YouTube.

I'm generally dismissive of the impact of these signings. For example, I wonder how many people just decided not to go with Callaway because of this news. I suspect about the same number will run out and buy PXG because of GP.

This feels like another signing that shows how little the big OEMs feel players outside of probably the top 75 and very few outside of that impact sales/marketing.

on one hand, i'm genuinely surprised and confused by people not liking gary player. what's not to like?

on the other hand, i chalk this up to another confusing signing by pxg. what is on-brand for pxg? how does their tour staff perpetuate that message to consumers?

Well, the demographic that would relate to this would be older golfers, who may have the dough for a set of PXGs, so from a marketing standpoint it's not a bad move.

This is the point that I didn't make well. Is there a big return on investment based on the current stars of the game? I talked some with Jose and Yagley at the Morgan Cup and they said the return on investment was hard to determine but they wanted their product out there. We went deeper discussing whether you needed a ton of stars playing their gear or just one or two. And that is with star players who get a lot more visibility playing the product. We also discussed the move of viewership to other channels (YouTube especially) and how golf companies are now sponsoring YouTube golfers with big followings as these are now showing a return on investment. (Prior to the event Cobra/Puma got a lot of visibility with the Alex Elliot Golf channel). I feel that those YouTube golf content creators get a lot more screen time and connect more directly with consumers than Gary who we hardly see swing a club anymore. This was enlightening for me. We all have players we are fans of but I was struggling to remember what drivers that Jack and Gary got with the ceremonial drives to start the Masters last year. I remember a story line of Rory helping Jack with his driver so I would guess Taylormade but I had no idea what clubs Gary was using until seeing your picture. And I'm a big fan of Jack Nicklaus. I would get a lesson with him in a heartbeat, but would trust a fitter to show me what to play. Alternatively, I know Peter Finch and the Me & My Golf boys are Adidas / Taylormade sponsored, Rick Shiels is nike (and has been playing Wilson irons though not sponsored), Crossfield is sponsored by Titleist, Buzza Golf is Callaway.. Etc. And I don't consume a ton of their content but have seen enough video logs to know. I'm just curious if this will bring the return they are hoping for because it doesn't move the needle at all for me personally.

Good points. I think there is value in having eyes on your product by having Tour pros play it. But I'm not sure of how many people buy clubs because Rory plays them. But to your point about YouTube golfers being influential. I have never bought a club because a Tour pro played it. However, I value Rick Shiels opinion on clubs and wanted the Wilson irons and the Cobra 3W because of his glowing praise. As far as I know Rick doesn't have a club deal, only a clothing deal. Conversely, I was kind of turned off by Peter Finch's Taylormade deal. I'm happy for him to get sponsored, but now I won't listen to a word he says regarding clubs. I do think the YouTube golfers are a better investment than Tour pros.

I can’t see the logic in this signing and I don’t understand why Players even needs a contract with any manufacturer. I’m in the minority I’m sure but I really don’t care what any pro plays. Ball or clubs. Even my favorite players which have been Phil and Greg Norman. I didn’t buy stuff they played . In fact, I feel like Callaway kind of bailed Player out after he failed with his Black Knight line some years ago. Maybe that felt it time to give the money to someone else and just offered him free goods.

It’s good for a brand to have one of that’s greats and player has a lot of personality. I’m not surprised by the PXG signing but oncore it from left field. Good for all parties.

on one hand, i'm genuinely surprised and confused by people not liking gary player. what's not to like?

on the other hand, i chalk this up to another confusing signing by pxg. what is on-brand for pxg? how does their tour staff perpetuate that message to consumers?

There's only thing I don't like about Gary Player. I have absolutely no facts to back this up, so I'm going to go off the next best thing: hearsay and rumor. And speculation. And lies. I imagine him filming the World Golf Hall of Fame commercial and stopped mid-scene and said he would quit if he couldn't inject himself into the mention of the King and the Bear. It wasn't like some the director yells cut and says, "you know what would be really clever, when you mention The King and the Bear course, say 'and the Black Knight!' so we can remind everyone you're a part of that group."

Rereading my comments I realize I come off as someone that doesn't like Gary Player and that couldn't be further from the truth. He's accomplished so much and has been an incredible ambassador for the game and I respect that. He just wasn't one of my favorite players that I rooted for and had more of a connection to like Arnie, Jack, Tom Watson.. etc. My point is that I wouldn't put something in my bag just because one of the ones I was a big fan of plays them. But I'm only the voice of one consumer. But I did want to clarify that there's no GP hate from me.
Good points. I think there is value in having eyes on your product by having Tour pros play it. But I'm not sure of how many people buy clubs because Rory plays them. But to your point about YouTube golfers being influential. I have never bought a club because a Tour pro played it. However, I value Rick Shiels opinion on clubs and wanted the Wilson irons and the Cobra 3W because of his glowing praise. As far as I know Rick doesn't have a club deal, only a clothing deal. Conversely, I was kind of turned off by Peter Finch's Taylormade deal. I'm happy for him to get sponsored, but now I won't listen to a word he says regarding clubs. I do think the YouTube golfers are a better investment than Tour pros.
I agree about Peter Finch. I always felt like the Me & My golf guys came off as shills for Taylormade and that Crossfield lost his objectivity when signing with Titleist (though with him specifically I didn't trust him or like him for various other reasons). I do like the more unbiased reviews from those that haven't signed with a sponsor but I wonder how long until they are all offered enough money that they can't say no to.

There's only thing I don't like about Gary Player. I have absolutely no facts to back this up, so I'm going to go off the next best thing: hearsay and rumor. And speculation. And lies. I imagine him filming the World Golf Hall of Fame commercial and stopped mid-scene and said he would quit if he couldn't inject himself into the mention of the King and the Bear. It wasn't like some the director yells cut and says, "you know what would be really clever, when you mention The King and the Bear course, say 'and the Black Knight!' so we can remind everyone you're a part of that group."
From reading your post, I guess there is one recent story which does make me feel less than warm and fuzzy about GP (and it's partially because I'm a big fan of Jack). A few years back Gary spent a lot of time training and working on his driving so that he could outdrive Jack with the ceremonial Masters tee shot in a competition that Jack didn't realize was going on. He did outdrive Jack and there was some playful ribbing but some of his bragging came off as petty and arrogant seeing as Jack had no idea up until the weekend that they were in an apparent long drive contest and Jack was clearly out of shape and hadn't been playing golf. The following year Jack (being Jack) trained and worked on his driving including getting help from Rory and knocked it well past Gary off the tee. Gary responded "we'll call it a tie" and the sudden look on Jack's face showed he was irritated and made Gary appear to be the sore loser. That's my only real negative memory that comes to mind but I chalk it up to two lifetime competitors being themselves and still respect the heck out of what GP was able to do in that generation of great players.

PGX and GP seems like a good fit. A slight arrogance on both ends.

Everyone is entitled to earn a few bucks, even older golfers. If he makes the sponsor a few in return, then it is a good deal for both.

Well, it got me to do OneCore's ball fitting.

Mr. Player's PXG / OnCore bag is kinda sweet!

GP wearing all white today???

He almost aced one today too.

I guess its kind of interesting,but it just doesn't do anything for me. I don't care who is on their staff as I'm not interested in either product.

^^^^ This

Jack just mentioned he’d like to try one to Player on TV. Nice plug for PXG. Until people look at the price tag.

I take this as Callaway finally figured out no one cares about Gary and his crunches.

The statement of this thread!!!

So right

Back