Give Up Your Highest Lofted Wedge?

60* is my highest and I could game the 56* as my highest loft if I had to. I do love the 60* around the green, but no biggie

Yes, I could probably do it.

I wouldn’t adjust my wedge setup

I would have either a 54 or 56 as y club

Since I currently have a 58* RTX-4 and a 60* Vokey D in my bag....I would magically turn both of those into a 58* CBX2 to make room for the top end of the bag club.

I have a 56* which I can open up if needed. With practice could get the hang of it

Man I just bought a new 60 lol but I could get on with my 56 if I needed to. Might bend to 57 just for fun

The best short game players I play with do not carry a wedge with a loft higher than 56*, and these guys shoot par golf. To me that is proof that L wedges may do more harm than good.

Do they usually carry 14 clubs?

Nah, not a wedge .. my 3W/5w or 5h spots are always up for grabs; so totally could add safely without creating a distance gap

I could give up my 59 and would just adjust my distances accordingly, lay up to 110 instead of 100. Greenside bu kers would be a bit tougher, but I would get accustomed to it.

Yeah, I could. If I had to drop the 58 though, I'd swap out the 54 for a mid grind 56, and use it a lot.

I could drop my 58 and get along with my 50 & 54 although I would miss my 58 as I use it a lot.

I would not be happy to have to give up my 58 degree wedge. I use it A LOT. I'm sure I could eventually adapt but I really can't see any other club that I had to add that would benefit my score over the 58 degree.

1. Yeah I could totally do it, the 64* spatula that was put in late last year is used minimally, its either that or a club at the top of the bag in the form of a hybrid.
2. Nope, 56* was the most loft I had ever carried previously, no problem going back to that setup.

Do they usually carry 14 clubs?

Yes, 14 clubs. Their reasoning is that lofts higher than 56* are too unforgiving. And I agree, if a 58* or 60* L wedge is not struck precisely square/solid carry distance control is lost.
Conversely, a green side shot played with a 9-iron, PW or 50*, 52* gap wedge can be slightly mishit but still give reliable carry distance and bounce/roll.
These guys mostly use their SW for bunker play or longer pitch shots. They rarely leave an approach shot on the short side of the green, but if they had to play a green side lob shot the 56* is more than enough loft with which to do so.

My old set of irons had the PW at 48, so I carried a 52/56Sand/60 wedge. My new set of Hot Metal Pro's has a PW at 46, so I got he Lob Wedge which is 50 and have new 54/58 wedges on the way. I've usually used my 56 for around the greens and am thinking the 58 will be what I use mostly around the greens now. I don't think I'd be able to get away with using my 54 as my highest lofted club, so a big no for me at this point. I also don't think my standard of play would dictate me playing around with changing lofts until/if gapping becomes an issue.

I could easily drop my 60* and not miss a step, wouldn't even need to adjust my wedge setup. 56* is the highest I've normally ever played anyway.

1. Yes. (remove 60)
2. No, I am use to using just my 56 before so don't think it would be a big problem.

I think I could do it. I don’t use my 58* a lot and actually never carried higher loft then 54* for a long time. I am decent with opening up the 54* to add loft if I have to also.

I could and did. Took my 60* out of my bag and won't look back.

Currently have 56 and 58 so I could drop the 58 and not really have an issue but it's just fun to whip out the 58* PM Grind and see what happens.

1.) I can and have and it really wasnt that big of a deal.
2.) I went from a 54 to a 56.

I could probably drop my 60*, but I would have to replace my 56* with a lower bounce model. I really need a low-bounce wedge for the hardpan bunkers we have around here, and my 60* is that wedge right now.

I’d keep my 64*. I play a Sure Out as I am not very good with traditional wedges from the sand. Also I hit my wedges really low cause I forward press my pitches and chips and maintain it through the swing delofting the club. So if I am short sided the only way I’m stopping the ball is to hit the 64*.

If I had to drop a wedge it would be my 56*. I pretty much just use it for 90 yd full shots. Then keep my 60* for chipping and partial wedge shots.

Let’s say there was a club you absolutely had to add to the bag, and the only real solution would be to remove your highest lofted wedge.

Two questions;
1- Could you do it?
2- Would you alter the lofts on other wedges to accommodate?

I couldn't do it. My 58* PM Grind is my cheat code out of bunkers. I am sure I could use the 54 PM and accomplish the same thing, but mentally I think i need to swing less with the 54 out of bunkers and that introduces all kinds of bad mojo.

I wouldn’t be super happy but yes I could make my 54 work. Although I change it to a pm grind vs a standard md4 c grind.

Back