Give Up Your Highest Lofted Wedge?

Not right now because my 60° PM Grind has also been my chosen wedge for greenside bunkers.

I'm sure I could adjust but for the moment... I don't want to.

I'd just drop my 58* and play my 54*. After some rounds maybe bend it a degree or two weak if needed.

I am not sure I could... It is probably my inability to be creative with my 54, but I use my 58 many many times a round, especially out of Greenside bunkers. I don't see myself being able to give it up.

For me, I have a 58 playing 57 and a 54 playing 53, so I’d probably take it the other way and bend it one weak instead of one strong, to have my wedge more like 55.

Hardest part for me will be in that half wedge range, anywhere from 40-105 yards. Wouldn’t stress around the green or bunkers because with wedge design being what it is I could easily make 55 look like 60, but man, that gap would be rough.

And bending it up that much the bounce would feel like a snowplow. I prefer a tighter bounce. I could see bending a 52 to 51 and 58 to 57 if I wanted only two wedges after PW, but gaps might be an issue. Or just going to a 56M grind as my highest.

I think it is good for folks to check lofts on wedges too even when new. Also lie for their swing. I've had them come in off a degree or more as new. For example the new condition 58.09 SM4 S grind I was lucky to find last year was measured at 59.10. My fitter bent it to ~57.50.7.5 bounce.

Aside, love that Vokey SM 4 issue. So soft and great touch. Last year I also found an almost new SM4 54.11 M grind. In storage when needed are still playable SM4 56.11 M (bent to 55.10) another 54.11 M head and a 60.07 S. I'm good for a while!...besides the stored SM6 54 and 58 I don't like anywhere as much.

And bending it up that much the bounce would feel like a snowplow. I prefer a tighter bounce. I think it is good for folks to check lofts on wedges too even when new. Also lie for their swing. I've had them come in off a degree or more as new. For example the new condition 58.09 SM4 S grind I was lucky to find last year was measured at 59.10. My fitter bent it to ~57.50.7.5 bounce.

Aside, love that Vokey SM 4 issue. So soft and great touch. Last year I also found an almost new SM4 54.11 M grind. In storage when needed are still playable SM4 56.11 M (bent to 55.10) another 54.11 M head and a 60.07 S. I'm good for a while!...besides the stored SM6 54 and 58 I don't like anywhere as much.
Do you think I meant that I would bend my 54 to a 60? What I meant was that I could open the face around the green to alter the loft haha! Maybe I said it poorly.

Love the freedom of a wedge to open and close.

Let’s say there was a club you absolutely had to add to the bag, and the only real solution would be to remove your highest lofted wedge.

Two questions;
1- Could you do it?
2- Would you alter the lofts on other wedges to accommodate?

It would be super easy, barely an inconvenience. I have 4 wedges in my bag and play a 58 and a 64. I could just pull the 64 which is a very very niche club and really is only used for specific situations. I would leave the rest the same.

It would be super easy, barely an inconvenience. I have 4 wedges in my bag and play a 58 and a 64. I could just pull the 64 which is a very very niche club and really is only used for specific situations. I would leave the rest the same.
64?!

What a legend. I can't imagine giving up something at the top of my bag for that.

Do you think I meant that I would bend my 54 to a 60? What I meant was that I could open the face around the green to alter the loft haha! Maybe I said it poorly.

Love the freedom of a wedge to open and close.
Yes, I thought you meant bending it that much (though I didn't know how that would be possible without breaking it). Should maybe have calrified.

Agree with you the freedom to open/close a wedge is great, and the right grind fit helps with that.

I think I could lose my 58 and be fine with 54 being my highest. Worst case I bend my 54 to 54.5, maybe 55?

Yes, I thought you meant bending it that much (though I didn't know how that would be possible without breaking it). Should maybe have calrified.

Agree with you the freedom to open/close a wedge is great, and the right grind fit helps with that.
I watched @Jman bend a wedge that much last year.

It was funny. Right up until the wedge neck snapped off hahahaha

64?!

What a legend. I can't imagine giving up something at the top of my bag for that.

It is a great club, but can be troublesome. You have to really pick your spots to use it or Practice with it a ton. it can be a get out of jail free card though.

current wedge set up is pw - 46 bent to 45, 49, 53. 58, 64. I currently do not carry a 3 iron but have my 4 iron bent to 22.

It is a great club, but can be troublesome. You have to really pick your spots to use it or Practice with it a ton. it can be a get out of jail free card though.
I have always thought that loft was overkill. I can open up my 58 and take a full swing from 10 feet away and not go past the hole. Not sure what more I could get out of a 64 at that point haha

After my PW (46) I go 50/54/58 so if I had to drop the 58, I would possibly change my wedge setup to either 50/56 or maybe go 52/58 if I am allowed to change the setup to still keep a wedge at the highest loft I already had

I have always thought that loft was overkill. I can open up my 58 and take a full swing from 10 feet away and not go past the hole. Not sure what more I could get out of a 64 at that point haha

Completely agree, which is why it would be easy to pull if I really needed to. I just like having a lot of wedges options. Plus I once kept track of how many times over 10 rounds I hit each club. In those 10 rounds I only hit my 3 and 4 iron like 5 times each. So I thought I would consolidate and add a wedge. So I bent the lofts all around to to remove a club and add a wedge.

current top end of the bag is driver, 18* cobra utility, then strong 4 iron.

I watched @Jman bend a wedge that much last year.

It was funny. Right up until the wedge neck snapped off hahahaha
Hey, I was told to see if I could break it.

Mission accomplished.

I'm going 56* at my highest lofted wedge this year - I can use a higher loft however with higher loft bring less chance of success.

Simple reply,,,,,,no!

I've thought about it, as a few iron sets I'm looking at have a stronger lofted PW and AW... currently at 54, 58. But I wouldn't mind sliding into 52/56.

Doing it today for the half set challenge. Boy, I am going to really miss my 58 degree wedge...

Sure! I could give up my *60 I only use it in sand traps for the most part.
I could certainly use my 56.

I was just thinking about how I would reconfigure my bag and 1 less wedge and 1 more wood or hybrid was the route I would go.

I could get rid of my 60° wedge easily. I barely use it and most of the shots I hit with the 60° can be done with my 56° just by opening up the face.

I would not do it. I'd probably rather lose a longer club and add a higher lofted one first. Last year I accidentally left my 60° wedge on the 18th hole of a course and didn't realize it until I was warming up for my next round 2 states away. I had to play that round with just the 54° and it was a pain. Thankfully the first course had found my wedge and I was able to get it back the next week.

I could do without my low bounce, 60* wedge if I had to. It's not one the clubs I consistently use. I can manipulate another wedge to take it's place.

Luckily I have no use for another club to replace it, so it will stay in my bag. It comes in handy on firmer lies sometimes.

Side note. When the rules were recently being changed, I was kind of hoping they would change the 14 club rule to 15 clubs. No particular reason.

Back