Give Up Your Highest Lofted Wedge?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Let’s say there was a club you absolutely had to add to the bag, and the only real solution would be to remove your highest lofted wedge.

Two questions;
1- Could you do it?
2- Would you alter the lofts on other wedges to accommodate?

1. Yes. Already thought about it depending on how the top end of my bag turns out.
2. Maybe. Might change the grinds out more so than the lofts.

I’d be losing my 60* but if I have to take this other club, I think I could manage. I’d like to adjust the other lofts though since I use the 60 a fat amount.
I started using my 56* a lot more near the end of the season, so that’s why I think I could manage.

I absolutely could. My highest is a 58* x grind md4, and I really only use it in greenside bunkers

My highest lofted is a 54*. Do I still have to give it up? ?

I could yes. Would take some adjusting but yes I def could

For me, I have a 58 playing 57 and a 54 playing 53, so I’d probably take it the other way and bend it one weak instead of one strong, to have my wedge more like 55.

Hardest part for me will be in that half wedge range, anywhere from 40-105 yards. Wouldn’t stress around the green or bunkers because with wedge design being what it is I could easily make 55 look like 60, but man, that gap would be rough.

Yes. I would be removing a 60 degree. I think I could get by with a 56 as my highest lofted wedge.

Already dropping my 60°, carry a 53,56 and the 60. My new 919 gw is a 51 so thinking of going 54 and 58 for new wedges.

Sounds like you’ve already done it!:LOL:
I was going to say I would probably buy a 52* and bend it to 53.5* if I did have to give it up ?.

I could drop my 62 no problem. I don’t carry it all the time anyway and I only carry 12-13 clubs

Yes. I would give up the 60*. I could easily get by with my 56*.

Let’s say there was a club you absolutely had to add to the bag, and the only real solution would be to remove your highest lofted wedge.

Two questions;
1- Could you do it?

The best short game players I play with do not carry a wedge with a loft higher than 56*, and these guys shoot par golf. To me that is proof that L wedges may do more harm than good.

I could lose my 58 pretty easily, it's my least used club in the bag at the moment. I wouldn't change my lofts on my other wedges.

Already did it and yes I adjusted my other wedges. However I already owned them so I didn’t have to buy new ones.

yup. probably switch the 56 to a pm grind

No, a 58 is a necessary tool and frequently used when your next one is 53. A 54 doesn't cut it.

No. My bag is gapped perfectly from 3 wood to LW!

I've done this once before. Don't know that I could do it again with my current setup.

Definitely would and could, 54 would go back to a 56

Two questions;
1- Could you do it?

Yes.

Maybe.

I could drop the 60. I may end up using a 58 (or 56) with a little less bounce.

I could drop the 60 PM Grind for another club but I would then most likely add a PM Grind back in. It's such a great club

The best short game players I play with do not carry a wedge with a loft higher than 56*, and these guys shoot par golf. To me that is proof that L wedges may do more harm than good.
That would be an interesting case study, as obviously all our skills are different.

I’ve definitely seen some people make big mistakes with them, but I’ve also seen people escape nightmare lies with them as well.

Two questions;
1- Could you do it?

Wouldn’t work for me. I go 52* to 58*. If I lose the 58*, I have nothing that really works for bunkers and other shots around the green that need delicacy, let alone a flop.

Back