Giving up on Driver after 30+ years...

Knowing when to hit, or not hit the driver in the amateur ranks is playing smart golf.

I've often contemplated moth balling my driver. Not so much for mishits, but because I don't use it more than 5-6 times a round. Sometimes I never use it. At 190-200 yards off the tee, my 3W gets a lot more use off the tee than my D does.

I keep my D in the bag for longer par 5s, and the occasional par 4 with the wider fairways.

When the driver opportunity pops up, I don't swing it any different than the rest of my clubs. I let the club do all the work for any extra yardage gain.

I've seen it too many times where the golfer grabs their D, and puts a hardier, faster, unbalanced swing on the ball with it. Then blames the driver for the poor ball flight. Been there, done that myself.

Like any other club, quality lessons, and quality practice makes any club in the bag useful for the golfer using them.

I've seen it too many times where the golfer grabs their D, and puts a hardier, faster, unbalanced swing on the ball with it. Then blames the driver for the poor ball flight. Been there, done that myself.

I believe your description above applies to at least 75% of amateur players and some Tour players as well.

Well, you could try one of those fancy mini drivers the kids all talk about these days.

Purely anecdotal point coming up: a buddy I used to play with an eon ago, only used a 2-iron off the tee, and was a hell of a golfer.

Purely anecdotal point #2: I used a 16 degree driving iron for years, because I couldn’t hit a wood to save my life. Then, for a few seasons, it was a 3-iron off the tee. Now, I do hit driver most of the time, albeit a 43.5” shorty. And...I occasionally find the fairway. At an impressive 170 out from the tee box, lol.

As many here have said, do what makes the game most pleasurable.

Last edited:
I fell into the same boat some years ago with ever-decreasing driver distance. Since then I've added 50 yards and the driver is probably the easiest club to hit in my bag. I now hate the 60* touch shots from 63 yards. BTW, I use a Ping G20. Still can't find a better and more reliable driver.

If you are OK hitting your 4 wood off the tee, good for you. Too many of us are frustrated, battling a club(s) that we would like to hit, but can't.
Enjoy the game, and play it your way.

If that's what you want to do, then pull that club out and post it up for sale or trade-in on something you'll hit better.

If you are OK hitting your 4 wood off the tee, good for you. Too many of us are frustrated, battling a club(s) that we would like to hit, but can't.
Enjoy the game, and play it your way.

My observation is that nearly every player wants to swing driver off the tee boxes and does so. If and when he tries a fairway wood it is such a rare occurrence that the club appears awkward and uncomfortable to him at address, so the good swing does not happen. Truly the best sense method to get comfortable swinging 3 wood or 4 wood from the tee boxes is to leave driver at home. For every player the 9-iron is consistently easier to hit relatively straight shots with than is a 6-iron., and so too is a fairway wood easier than a driver. This is not opinion, it's simply a truth that a shorter length shafted, higher loft club is easier to hit consistently straight-solid than a longer length lower lofted club.

This is not opinion, it's simply a truth that a shorter length shafted, higher loft club is easier to hit consistently straight-solid than a longer length lower lofted club.

It’s literally your opinion and wrong based on what facts are available.

I've been having a miserable time with my driver lately. So many penalty strokes off the tee, and even my "good drives" often end up just off the fairway in bad lies. Major slices and pull hooks aplenty.

Last few rounds I've almost exclusively used my 4W which I regularly hit 220-240, and my scoring has been much better. No reason to take the cover off of my driver on the course until I can figure it out.

I've been having a miserable time with my driver lately. So many penalty strokes off the tee, and even my "good drives" often end up just off the fairway in bad lies. Major slices and pull hooks aplenty.

Last few rounds I've almost exclusively used my 4W which I regularly hit 220-240, and my scoring has been much better. No reason to take the cover off of my driver on the course until I can figure it out.

Excellent ! Most players don't have the discipline to refrain from swinging driver. So, the best way to give 3-wood , 4-wood etc... a chance from the par 4 and par 5 tee boxes is to leave the driver at home. And as you have learned, without driver, usually scoring improves.
Also, have you noticed that during your 4-wood from the tee boxes rounds your swing tempo-rhythm for the other clubs within the bag becomes better as well ?

Excellent ! Most players don't have the discipline to refrain from swinging driver. So, the best way to give 3-wood , 4-wood etc... a chance from the par 4 and par 5 tee boxes is to leave the driver at home. And as you have learned, without driver, usually scoring improves.
Also, have you noticed that during your 4-wood from the tee boxes rounds your swing tempo-rhythm for the other clubs within the bag becomes better as well ?
Too Soon to tell, but that would be a nice happy coincidence.

That is some great data. (with the caveat of "If you are hitting your driver alright.")
If a person is hitting their driver....not well, then the FW may be the better option.
Not a jab at you, because that really is great data.

While I'll take an actual study based on actual collected data all day long over @DG_1234's anecdotal data (no offense, DG), my opinion is that too many players fall outside of each to suggest any opinion should apply to everyone. I don't think that's what you're saying @-CRW- , but I think too many others want to suggest what applies to most/some should apply to everyone.

This is not meant to be a debate over accuracy vs distance, but rather to express my opinion that we all need to look at our own games as objectively as possible. There are just too many who fall outside of both conventional thinking and the results of studies based on sample data.

I only know my game and at times have fallen so far out of the norm that opinions from either side are not enough for me to make a decision. Until penalties come way down, I'll argue to with anyone who says I need more distance than accuracy. At the same time, I've tried the shorter driver, higher loft, easier swing, the fairway woods, irons, etc. off the tee, and none have proved to make much of a sustained difference. The thing is, my f'ed up game does not apply to others.

My only advice to anyone would be to know your game. Use available information - both anecdotal and that of studies, but make decisions that are going to improve your game. If that means pulling a 4w, great. If that means working on the driver at the range until it becomes as accurate as a shorter club... that works too.

I agree never say die, so use a wood for now and keep on practicing the big dog at the range, it's very rewarding to fix a problem in this game and reaching a level of confidence with driver is probably the best feeling in the journey.

Most people that struggle simply have setup problems, I bet if you shared a photo from the side and back the good players on this board would see and recommend fixes. After your setup is clean it's just a matter of avoiding the big swing faults like moving your head or coming over the top, both of which are easy to fix with just a little work.

I would guess that most players who are good with driver find it kind of easy, and can fix problems during a round because they learned the correct setup and know the swing faults that cause the misses.

Last edited:
That is some great data. (with the caveat of "If you are hitting your driver alright.")
If a person is hitting their driver....not well, then the FW may be the better option.
Not a jab at you, because that really is great data.

What "great data"? It's a nonsense puff pieces written by a shot scope marketing director who knows little about golf. There are some (questionable) "strokes gained" stats accurately collected for PGA Tour player shots. There is nothing of substance in the way of shot data , and, or, how it relates to scoring for amateur play.
It's absurd that fools are hanging their hats on "strokes gained" PGA Tour numbers and trying to apply same to their own well over par games. It's even worse that marketing employees are making up stats to fit their agenda of trying to make product sales.
Any THPer who wants to learn the truth need only play 3 rounds of golf swinging driver from the par 4 and par 5 tee boxes. And play the next three rounds leaving driver at home. 100% of the players who do this will realize they hit their tee ball shots straighter and find more fairways when they leave driver at home. And my guess is that at least 50% of them will find they shoot lower scores as well.

What "great data"? It's a nonsense puff pieces written by a shot scope marketing director who knows little about golf. There are some (questionable) "strokes gained" stats accurately collected for PGA Tour player shots. There is nothing of substance in the way of shot data , and, or, how it relates to scoring for amateur play.
It's absurd that fools are hanging their hats on "strokes gained" PGA Tour numbers and trying to apply same to their own well over par games. It's even worse that marketing employees are making up stats to fit their agenda of trying to make product sales.
Any THPer who wants to learn the truth need only play 3 rounds of golf swinging driver from the par 4 and par 5 tee boxes. And play the next three rounds leaving driver at home. 100% of the players who do this will realize they hit their tee ball shots straighter and find more fairways when they leave driver at home. And my guess is that at least 50% of them will find they shoot lower scores as well.
Where in the article did they put up strokes gained by pga pros? Look again at the data and quote those pga tour stats please!

Now that is funny.
You should learn something about that "person that knows little about golf". Not only does he study and analyze statistics, he played in the Walker Cup.

Then again, I have done that test and I must be the other 50% :ROFLMAO: :D:ROFLMAO:

Where in the article did they put up strokes gained by pga pros? Look again at the data and quote those pga tour stats please!

The nonsense written by the shot scope marketing director did not cite PGA Tour stats. I added that because too many people have come to try and correlate strokes gained numbers on the PGA Tour to their own amateur above par scoring games. And the shot scope stuff is trying to mimick the PGA Tour stuff, suggesting that the longest possible tee ball is advisable and "going for par 5's in two shots" is a good strategy for an amateur.
The reality is that DeChambeau or other player inclined to bomb tee ball shots has skills to play from rough lies, trees, and other out of position areas where an 80 shooter will struggle.

Now that is funny.
You should learn something about that "person that knows little about golf". Not only does he study and analyze statistics, he played in the Walker Cup.

Then again, I have done that test and I must be the other 50% :ROFLMAO: :D:ROFLMAO:

Was gonna say, I play the same way with or without driver. It’s the second shots that are the problem. Miss in the wrong spots, or have a shot that is so routine that I don’t focus on it and then beautifully turn that par into a bogey or double. It’s magnificent.

The nonsense written by the shot scope marketing director did not cite PGA Tour stats. I added that because too many people have come to try and correlate strokes gained numbers on the PGA Tour to their own amateur above par scoring games. And the shot scope stuff is trying to mimick the PGA Tour stuff, suggesting that the longest possible tee ball is advisable and "going for par 5's in two shots" is a good strategy for an amateur.
The reality is that DeChambeau or other player inclined to bomb tee ball shots has skills to play from rough lies, trees, and other out of position areas where an 80 shooter will struggle.
So by your own admission, you wrote a nonsense puff piece? ;)

Now that is funny.

The ShotScope blog stuff was written by an 80's shooter from England, She is ShotScope's marketing director.

Was gonna say, I play the same way with or without driver. It’s the second shots that are the problem. Miss in the wrong spots, or have a shot that is so routine that I don’t focus on it and then beautifully turn that par into a bogey or double. It’s magnificent.
Loft and length matter. Shorter club could translate to more accuracy. With that said the driver is more forgiving by design. Combined with being closer to the hole has benefits. The absolutes being mentioned earlier are not accurate. Then again the same poster that says this person knows nothing about golf, said Dave Pelz never broke 80, and he played top college golf, in tour events and is acclaimed instructor. So there is that.

Im a big fan of data for my own game. Does it mean everybody will get the same benefits? Of course not. Should one try something before those thoughts? Probably.

The ShotScope blog stuff was written by an 80's shooter from England, She is ShotScope's marketing director.
Wrong again. Jennifer Saxton was a college player and I literally just spoke to her about the Data Experience. The “marketing director” you referred to earlier played in the Walker Cup.

The brand absolutely knows golf.

Back